Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Selling, witholding price from neighbours

Options
  • 26-01-2016 3:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭

Hello,

Id like to sell a property in my name that's in the countryside. Beautiful area, too many nosey neighbours and family around.

Ideally Id like to sell it and not have the whole townland talking about what price Im getting for it. Ive seen 'price on application' on some adverts. Would this hinder a sell at all ?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭ionapaul

People can check the price after you've sold via the Property Price Register, nothing you can do about this - would this also bother you?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

The property price register will scupper any plans you have as they'll know within 3? months of a sale what was paid.

• Registered Users Posts: 929 ✭✭✭Hasmunch

The price will be on the property price register after it is sold so eventually some nosy parker will find out anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

POA would put me off a property. When you sell it, the price will go on the property price register so they will find out regardless.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,257 ✭✭✭SoupyNorman

It’ll come out eventually, in fact, I would not be surprised if people setup a viewing for a nosey in your house and to get the price.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Tonto67

In my opinion POA will hinder the sale. Once the sale is completed the price will be entered on the property price register anyway so your neighbors will be able to find out what it went for. My advice is to make your peace with that and comfort yourself by counting the big pile of cash you have when its sold.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,507 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

POA implies one of two things. Either your 42 bedroom regency period home on 600 acres of manicured lands is not for the riff raff, or your dodgy title fire damaged former corpo house attracted no attention when advertised at your unrealistic expectations price.

So either way I would exclude them from consideration in most instances.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,994 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

If it's a high demand area and you are willing to take a hit on the price you could put it with and EA but tell them not put it on myhome or advertise it and only to show it to a select few, by the time "they" find out it's sold and on the PPR.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Jbubs

I live in Dublin and last summer my neighbour put his house up for sale. No price and no pictures. It sold in a week. Checked there and can see how much it sold for.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭gaius c

Honestly?
    I wouldn't touch a house that was POA. It screams "problem sale".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Shermanator

If you advertise as POA on DAFT.ie, youre property will be excluded from a lot of searches.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

When searching online I deliberately add a floor price to my searches, for cars or houses. POA is a pain in the nads.

I did recently phone an agent about a property that was POA (my wife found it) the receptionist in the agency gave me the price before she even asked my name.

Hiding the price this way is pointless, even a half nosey neighbour will just phone up out of curiosity.

If you're in an in demand area and have a decent agent you may be able to sell it without putting it up online or using wooden signs. My folks did it back in 1997 but I think buyers were closer to agents back then when the web was in it's infancy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,935 ✭✭✭MayoAreMagic

Hiding it only makes said nosey people curious as to why you are hiding it. That is what gets people gossiping.
    What is to be lost by putting up the price, as long as it is the going rate?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

I actively avoid anything with POA- from personal experience, a lot of the time there are issues with the property- which may or may not be disclosed by the vendor. Its a waste of my time looking at POA properties- never again.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

POA screams over-inflated ego, and price to me. I' see it as having extra complications and hassle and wouldn't go near. As some have said I actively filter POA out in searches

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

sootie wrote: »
    Ideally Id like to sell it and not have the whole townland talking about what price Im getting for it. Ive seen 'price on application' on some adverts. Would this hinder a sell at all ?
    Marking it POA will ensure rumours go around about how bad the place is, and most people will exclude it from their searches. I'd say more people will talk about it if it was POA, and people can make up what they think it's going for anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

BDJW wrote: »
    POA would put me off a property.
    Indeed, I even filter out these properties on daft etc so I don't have to be annoyed by them.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭sootie

Yup, I hear ye. I'll make my peace with it !!

But just while Im on topic, is it possible to sell to people living abroad. The area is a big fishing area and there are a lot of retired Germans who have relocated and would be interested in the type of cottage that it is ( moreso than a young Irish family looking for schools etc ) Is it possible to advertise on a German version of Daft for instance ? Just an idea

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,507 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

But just while Im on topic, is it possible to sell to people living abroad. The area is a big fishing area and there are a lot of retired Germans who have relocated and would be interested in the type of cottage that it is ( moreso than a young Irish family looking for schools etc ) Is it possible to advertise on a German version of Daft for instance ? Just an idea

Irish daft has (or used have to anyway) an overseas property section, so I'm sure other countries have the equivalent.

But here's a question - would you rather make the maximum price for the property or not have anyone know your asking?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

Im sure the mayo people have more to be worrying about that how much your house is been sold for.

• Advertisement

Just advertise it locally. If people from abroad are interested in your area, they'll know about Daft and are already checking it regularly. The chances are that they have friends in the locality or have visited there already.
    Stimulating interest from people who have never considered living there eg by advertising directly in germany, will just waste your time.

I also don't understand the desire to keep the asking price secret. Many people in the area would have a fair idea of what the property should be worth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭...And Justice

hdowney wrote: »
    POA screams over-inflated ego, and price to me. I' see it as having extra complications and hassle and wouldn't go near. As some have said I actively filter POA out in searches

There was a house that was in my estate up for sale with POA in the advert for two years. All other houses were being snapped up left, right and centre. The rumour was they were looking for 50k more than the current market. It was taken off the market earlier this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Raised Eyebrow

There are lots of dedicated Angling magazines. Why not advertise in a German or French one? Retired people don't always rely solely on digital information

• Registered Users Posts: 4,686 ✭✭✭Pretzill

There is an EA based in Sligo that seem to specialize in the cottage idyll and Sligo, Mayo, Leitrim properties - they do have a German sounding name
    Schiller & Schiller but I'm not sure if that's with the purpose of selling abroad - I often check their website out although it's a little old fashioned and some of the prices seem inflated - but when you're looking to buy a cottage with a bit of land and lifestyle it's hard to find them on the more known websites.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,990 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

If I'm looking for something in Germany I don't look on Irish sites. With online, and now automatic, translation there was no reason.

You are going out of your way to try to hide something which will become public knowledge in a few months and knowing rural Ireland there will be more talking with what you are trying to do than just sticking the price on a sign outside.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

Every area has an average price for a 3bed house,
    if you want the best price it has to be on myhome or daft.ie .
    You can ask the agent to not put up a sign ,outside the house.
    i see no point in worrying about neighbours,
    the price will be on the ppr anyway.
    Many buyers will ignore poa ads ,the just go on myhome look for
    house for sale under 200k, area x .
    eg they will never see the ad,
    they wont bother ringing up for the price info .
    if i see poa on a house ad i presume the price is higher than average .
    most people who buy houses use online ads or the agents website,s .
    My friend sold a house to a buyer from dublin,
    house is near athlone ,price 300k plus .
    i presume the buyer saw it on myhome.ie ,
    it was advertised for 330k
    went for 350 plus .
    if a poa ad does not show up in price search,s
    most potential buyers will never see the ad .

i can guess the price of any house where i live give or take 30k,
    or just look on the ppr website .
    in most rural area,s there .s plenty of houses for sale .
    many buyers will just focus on the ads with a price listed .
    The ads i have see that have poa are expensive houses, say 500k plus i presume

Advertisement