Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New Development Royal Canal Park D15

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29 manufangirl

Considered going whoever drew that map (still!) can't get the red and green Luas lines correct And that it makes no sense for something on the south side of the canal to be "royal canal park", I'd be fairly sure this is the strip of land ballymore own between RCP and rathborne. Basically a block mirroring phalanx avenue and phelan drive west. You can see the planning permission on dcc' planning portal.

yeah i was wondering did they drop it on the wrong side on purpose. the vacant site at the end of RCP is beside Camden Avenue so that must be it.

its a pity, i got my hopes up for a footbridge linking the 2 estates :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭fret_wimp2

fret_wimp2 wrote: »
    I rang them a month ago and they had no cable in the street.
    2 weeks ago they rang and said the cable had been installed.
    They came and joined the cables in the street to my house, and then ran a speed test.

Its comming up around 17megabits most of the time, but one evening it was 8 megabits, so they wont offer tv over it.

Update to this, Fiber (80 Megabit) is available.
    Eir have a pretty convoluted process however and their sales team dont seem to know how it works:

1. Ring up and ask for a connection. They will send a guy out to connect a phone line.

2. they will run a test and find this only gives about 8 Megabit. You have to place an order for broadband based on this.

3. About 48 hours after ordering, ring them back up and their system will tell you that fiber is available and they will arrange a guy to come out and install fiber.

If you ring back after 48 hours and the fiber option is not available, you are in an area with no fiber and can stick with the 8 Megabit or cancel within 14 days.

Its quite a ridiculous ordering process, but once you get an eir rep that understands how it works, it can be sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭Keithchap

Considered going whoever drew that map (still!) can't get the red and green Luas lines correct And that it makes no sense for something on the south side of the canal to be "royal canal park", I'd be fairly sure this is the strip of land ballymore own between RCP and rathborne. Basically a block mirroring phalanx avenue and phelan drive west. You can see the planning permission on dcc' planning portal.

http://camden.royalcanalpark.com/

I reckon so too, the road that piece of land sits beside is called Camden Avenue:

https://www.google.ie/maps/place/Camden+Ave,+Ashtown,+Dublin/@53.3766529,-6.3204519,17z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m5!3m4!1s0x48670d981826e543:0xe0d18b2aba0bf8c7!8m2!3d53.3766529!4d-6.3182632?hl=en

Here is the planning:

http://www.dublincity.ie/swiftlg/apas/run/WPHAPPDETAIL.DisplayUrl?theApnID=2217/15&backURL=%3Ca%20href=wphappcriteria.display?paSearchKey=3410028%3ESearch%20Criteria%3C/a%3E%20%3E%20%3Ca%20href=%27wphappsearchres.displayResultsURL?ResultID=4047939%26StartIndex=31%26SortOrder=APNID:DESC%26DispResultsAs=WPHAPPSEARCHRES%26BackURL=%3Ca%20href=wphappcriteria.display?paSearchKey=3410028%3ESearch%20Criteria%3C/a%3E%27%3ESearch%20Results%3C/a%3E

And the site plan:

http://www.dublincity.ie/AnitePublicDocs/00490915.pdf

When you look at the developments that are planned for the West of the development this thread is about including the one to the West of "Camden", why did they start the numbering at 1 Royal Canal Avenue and ascend the numbers in an Eastwards direction?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Manion

Eir/Vodafone can offer 17 Megabits.
    New street, they just installed new cables and they offer 17 Megabits.

How in 2017 is this the best that they can offer in Dublin City?

HI, I had the same experience. Everyone has. They'll offer you adsl and then once the cabinet is connect they will offer fibre.

Keithchap wrote: »
    When you look at the developments that are planned for the West of the development this thread is about including the one to the West of "Camden", why did they start the numbering at 1 Royal Canal Avenue and ascend the numbers in an Eastwards direction?

I wondered the same thing. It's going to hilarious for navigation.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 dor1971

FYI : the RCP residents association is holding a community day tmw at the marina/canoe clubhouse. 2-5 I think with face painting etc for kids and a barge ride option also! for some reason their facebook page can't be updated to reflect this so thought I'd post it here.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 bdub

Hi all,
    can anyone PM me a recommendation for an electrician? I'm currently using powerline adapters for networking, but it's not great and I just found by reading through this thread that the RJ11 sockets are actually connected to cat5e cables, which all break out in the utility room. So i'd need someone to replace the RJ11 with RJ45 and also move the DSL connection to the utility room, as I need to move the router from the hallway to the utility room as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭cronos

bdub wrote: »
    Hi all,
    can anyone PM me a recommendation for an electrician? I'm currently using powerline adapters for networking, but it's not great and I just found by reading through this thread that the RJ11 sockets are actually connected to cat5e cables, which all break out in the utility room. So i'd need someone to replace the RJ11 with RJ45 and also move the DSL connection to the utility room, as I need to move the router from the hallway to the utility room as well.

i'm also interested in this information. have to do the exact same work

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭nordstrom

cronos wrote: »
    i'm also interested in this information. have to do the exact same work

I don't have a recommendation, but you can do it yourself if you fancy it. One of my earlier posts explains how it's done, and if you pm me I can lend you the punch down tool.

The dsl part I'm not sure about because I got the Vodafone installer to install my router to the utility room, but it shouldn't be a big deal.

Hi nordstrom,
    thanks, I haven't crimped a cable in 10 years and no idea how to do the DSL part, so I'd prefer to have a professional do it. If anyone has the contact details of a good electrician, please PM.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 bluemc

Just wondering if anyone has any recommendations (or avoids) for snaggers? Contacted Ballymore in the last few days and they confirmed we should be able to get in for snagging in the next week or two.
    For those who have moved in, typically how long has it taken from first snag to move in? Thanks

bluemc wrote: »
    Just wondering if anyone has any recommendations (or avoids) for snaggers? Contacted Ballymore in the last few days and they confirmed we should be able to get in for snagging in the next week or two.
    For those who have moved in, typically how long has it taken from first snag to move in? Thanks
    It took approx. 2 weeks to fix everything on our snag list. Got the keys a few days later. We had nothing major on the list, mostly paint stains, some repainting and a damaged door. Obviously if something more substantial is broken it takes longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭OrdeP

I'm wondering if anyone facing the main road, actually ended up getting acustic vents and if made much difference?

• Registered Users Posts: 18 FSMPastafarian

Has anyone run the numbers on a night/day electricity meter? Just wondering if it makes sense for these houses?

From what I'm reading you would really need to be turning of the air to water during the day for it to make sense. Is anyone doing that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 741 ✭✭✭Chumpski

Has anyone run the numbers on a night/day electricity meter? Just wondering if it makes sense for these houses?

From what I'm reading you would really need to be turning of the air to water during the day for it to make sense. Is anyone doing that?

From my understanding, air to water heating system is a different thing to traditional heating systems you may be used to. We struggled with it at first, turning it on and off with the timers. And we were not alone in the neighborhood with not understanding how best to use it.

What Ballymore explained in a meeting some time last winter was that these systems work best if you leave them on all the time and control the temperature with the themostats. They use minimal electricity i believe in the summer when we turned our thermostat down to the minimum temperature and we still had plenty of hot water.

The air to water systems take a long time and alot of energy to get going, but when they are running they require minimum input to tweak.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 stenomattia

Hi, could anyone please recommend a good burglar alarm (for a Heron), installer and ballpark costs? Thank you

Hi, could anyone please recommend a good burglar alarm (for a Heron), installer and ballpark costs? Thank you

+1 for this info

• Registered Users Posts: 17 gloria6232

Hi. We are moving into royal canal avenue late next month. Did anyone receive an Eircode for your house before moving in? Or how did you get it?

Our broker is looking for it for home insurance but the address doesnt seem to exist yet on the eircode finder website. Thanks

gloria6232 wrote: »
    Hi. We are moving into royal canal avenue late next month. Did anyone receive an Eircode for your house before moving in? Or how did you get it?

Our broker is looking for it for home insurance but the address doesnt seem to exist yet on the eircode finder website. Thanks

It will just arrive in the post after you move in. The best way to handle this is for the broker to just use a similar house as a guide. That's what mine did.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17 gloria6232

cronos wrote: »
    It will just arrive in the post after you move in. The best way to handle this is for the broker to just use a similar house as a guide. That's what mine did.

Great, thank you!

• Registered Users Posts: 5 MengJiang

Hi all,

We just got the keys to the house and planning to move everything in by end of September!

We now have this stupid problem that the couch that we ordered might not be able to fit through the stairs which lead to the living room upstairs. The couch comes in with two pieces. The bigger piece is slightly bigger than we thought at first place.

We wonder if anyone has come across the same issue with Hazel type of house since the living room is on the first floor? Is there any moving company that people would recommend that would lift the couch through the balcony in that case?

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭MasterSun

Hi All, I'm moving in next month, would anyone please recommend a good flooring guy? thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 880 ✭✭✭Arbie

Spotted a car this morning with 2 windows smashed in outside Watermint apartments, near Appatizers. Same thing happened behind Cassian Court North a few days ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Bruncvik

Can anyone PM me contact for a reliable carpenter? We still need to cut down a few doors and kickboards. The carpenter we used for floors was very good, but so busy that we couldn't schedule him since November, and the builders are anything but reliable. Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭europhile

Any sign of Aldi? Is it still going ahead?

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Danny87

Keithchap wrote: »

Very similar houses to RCP and judging by the prices obviously a bit of in-depth competition going on already.

Interesting to see how it plays out .They look to be across the road from Ballymores Camden Road Phase , id imagine Ballymore wouldn't be too happy with the prices Castlehorn have listed. This would certainly limit their ambition to increase their prices yet again, they may even decrease their prices to increase interest! Hopefully this wont have a bearing on whats already built.

That is wishful thinking not really based on anything. The houses are smaller and immediately it's clear they are to a lower spec than the ballymore houses. It will all come down to the finish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

First phase is always competitively priced too. The buyer is taking a risk on a new development and will be living on a building site for a year + and the builder/sales team want to generate excitement. Even so I'd be surprised if €320k is the actual final price for a three bed in the first phase.

Pretty sure Rathborne place is the empty field between rathborne avenue and the canal not the one adjacent to Camden @ royal canal park. It got final planning 12 months ago.

• Advertisement

What risk though? It's in the middle of a good area that's already established and that has new property going in all the time.

Spec doesn't sound lesser than the ballymore builds either.

A simple case of ballymore getting what they could for their builds as they were the only show in town, and a new developer now bringing some competition

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭slayerking

They do seem quite small though at 1104 sqft perhaps playing into the price.

As was previously said, the initial phase is always slightly lower to entice interest and the fact that the first phase will be living in an active building site for at least a year.
    You would also be buying fully off plans without a showhouse or anything which is a bit of a leap of faith.

In the Feb release at RCP, a similar but larger 3 bed was 345k (1302 sqft).

What risk though? It's in the middle of a good area that's already established and that has new property going in all the time.

Builder doesn't know the design as well, mistakes get made.
    Unforseen ground conditions cause major delays.
    Builder throws them up a la the boom and is terrible about snagging.
    Council buys every other phase.
    Final overall finish level of the development.

You're right in that as it's an infill site by a well known builder but there are still some risks.

I think the big one is really the fact that until there are a few streets worth of houses up most people find it very difficult to visualise a development in terms of sun light, house spacing, house height etc. They need to persuade people to overcome that with a price drop.

There are some nice visualisations of what I think Rathborne place here:

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=1842436&page=2

Its an interesting thread overall too.

It's based on standard logic in my opinion . I am of course solely talking about the Ballymore 'Ash type' houses . There doesn't appear to any houses similar to the Heron style being developed by Castlehorn from what i can see .

My point is , we personally paid 20% more than the original 2015 price for our Ash house that is currently being built . They have gone up approx 6-7% a phase since 2015 . They would have been set for another 6% on the latest phase but i find this hard to fathom with very similar houses literally just across the road in an already developed area at a much cheaper price.

Regarding spec, from what i can see on the planning documents plans and elevations they are virtually identical to the Ash houses by Ballymore . Granted they are 9m2 smaller but if you view the plans they have utilized the space more efficiently and the difference is unnoticeable (at least from the drawings). They are also A rated, so the building standard would also be very similar .

Also worth noting that the initial phase is for 60nr 3 bed terraced houses , the rest of the phases will be the Duplexes , 4 beds , detached, semi detached and apartments

• Registered Users Posts: 23 stenomattia

Price wise per square meter, the proposed Rathborne Park 3 beds houses are quite more expensive even compared to the latest phase of RCP that went on sale in June (€3,118 vs €2,485) although this is the price per sq. m. for a RCP 4 beds facing the canal (the bigger, the cheaper per sq.m., generally speaking). This is excluding the back garden for each house. As mentioned above, finishing and quality will certainly play a major role, but the price does not seem to be particularly cheap compared to the Ballymore ones

Just did the same comparison for the latest Ash houses... works out @ €3,130 vs the €3,118 per m2 so i guess they are priced accordingly (or there abouts ).

• Registered Users Posts: 37 summerplans

Does anyone have a good snagger they used?

Thanks

Does anyone have a good snagger they used?

Thanks

Sent a pm

• Advertisement

I was given two recommendations for movers recently, one just a guy with a high top van, hard worker, super competitive rates, so competitive my friends insisted on paying him more than he asked for, probably more suitable for moving an apartment. Will assemble furniture etc.

The second one is a moving company with all the bells and whistles, provides boxes, will disassemble/reassemble furniture, large truck with multiple guys so could move a house in one day, he was at my house the other day to give me a quote and was extremely reasonable.

If anyone want any details send me a PM.

Does anyone know who provides the 10 year structural warranty on these houses?

Spec doesn't sound lesser than the ballymore builds either.

A simple case of ballymore getting what they could for their builds as they were the only show in town, and a new developer now bringing some competition
    Danny87 wrote: »
    It's based on standard logic in my opinion . I am of course solely talking about the Ballymore 'Ash type' houses . There doesn't appear to any houses similar to the Heron style being developed by Castlehorn from what i can see .

My point is , we personally paid 20% more than the original 2015 price for our Ash house that is currently being built . They have gone up approx 6-7% a phase since 2015 . They would have been set for another 6% on the latest phase but i find this hard to fathom with very similar houses literally just across the road in an already developed area at a much cheaper price.

Regarding spec, from what i can see on the planning documents plans and elevations they are virtually identical to the Ash houses by Ballymore . Granted they are 9m2 smaller but if you view the plans they have utilized the space more efficiently and the difference is unnoticeable (at least from the drawings). They are also A rated, so the building standard would also be very similar .

Also worth noting that the initial phase is for 60nr 3 bed terraced houses , the rest of the phases will be the Duplexes , 4 beds , detached, semi detached and apartments

Comparing the daft.ie spec to the ballymore spec they are clearly a lower spec

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Ken c

Hi,

Has anyone got the floor measurements for the Heron that they could share?

Thanks
    Ken

• Registered Users Posts: 30 PhoenixRoyal

Hi find attached the Hero Dimensions.

I upload via telefone the qualith May be as good..

Regards

• Registered Users Posts: 37 summerplans

Hi,
    Did anyone change the locks when they moved in? Any recommendations? Thanks again

• Advertisement

Tried the heating for the 1st time today. Just set the thermostats so the little orange light was on, but the radiators didn't get warm.

Am I missing something?

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Bruncvik

Hi,
    Did anyone change the locks when they moved in? Any recommendations? Thanks again
    We changed the cylinders as soon as the contractors were finished. Went with the ABS Anti-snap locks. They break off when someone tries to snap them, in which case the door is locked off and needs to be completely removed (still possible to unlock from the inside). They come with a security card, which is needed if you want extra keys made at an authorized locksmith. The locks tend to be quite pricey, though: about 60 Euros per cylinder and three keys, and 13 for each extra key.

Tried the heating for the 1st time today. Just set the thermostats so the little orange light was on, but the radiators didn't get warm.

Am I missing something?

OK so the way it works is that the radiators never get hot, they put out a low amount of heat over a long period that gradually raises the temperature in the house. Because the house is A rated you don't need to put a lot of heat into the house.
    Hi,

Yes, change the locks right away.

Manion wrote: »
    OK so the way it works is that the radiators never get hot, they put out a low amount of heat over a long period that gradually raises the temperature in the house. Because the house is A rated you don't need to put a lot of heat into the house.

I didn't feel any change in radiator temperature though.
    Also, it sounds like the heating process takes place over a long period of a few days, what happens if you want a quick burst of heat?

I didn't feel any change in radiator temperature though.
    Also, it sounds like the heating process takes place over a long period of a few days, what happens if you want a quick burst of heat?

When we first moved in there was a meeting where the heating system was explained. There is a synopsis somewhere in this thread.

It takes 1 hour to raise the ambient temperature 5 degrees. So no not a matter if days. You won't get a quick burst of heat out the system and you really shouldn't need to. TBH you're meant to turn on the system and leave it on it take far less energy to maintain temperature as opposed to reheat in a house with our rating. There is a holiday mode if you're gone for a long period .I'm a bit surprised you saying you turned on the system for the first time.

• Advertisement
Advertisement