Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fluorocarbon,........... favour request !

Options
  • 26-01-2016 3:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭

This is a non Angling thread, so, if it's inappropriate, Mods,..... please do your duty !

I want to do some trial and error testing on a Baritone Ukulele with a view to converting it to Fiddle Tuning.

It appears that the String Companies use Fluorocarbon in relevant guages and tensions for respective instruments but not for a GDAE tuned Baritone Ukulele.

My local Angling Centre has some Big Games guages that would be a good starting point. The brands are Seaguar and Trilene. My problem is that I only need 4x 30" lengths and the reels come in 50-100 yds. This speculative purchase would cost more than the Instrument !

The guages are roughly 1mm to 0.6mm. Would anybody have some spare lengths of heavy guage Flourocarbon ?

Thanks in anticipation !

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭.red.

Id imagine the fluros used in angling would be different, altho most people use it for is lack of stretch so maybe your onto someting.
    Just had a look and the only one i have and can find is Gorilla flurocarbon and its .35mm wide. I can pop some off in the post for you if you wanted to pm me your address.
    Id imagine if the shop was half decent tho they would snip off a foot or 2 of the different diametres for you if you asked nicely and explained what you wanted them for. They dont usually come in sealed boxes. Most tackle shops have an RNLI charity box so offer to throw a few euro in it to say thanks.
    Try and get the different diametres from the same manufacturer tho as some are better than others for how accurate they are. You could find .35m in one is the exact same as .32 or .38mm in another.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭cellosid

Thanks .red for your offer ! You made some good points.

I did make some suggestions to the owner of the Angling Centre but he wasn't biting ! :)

He was concerned that the spools would be 1% short for the potential customer. I can understand his view,......... it's a new business, I was amazed at how well stocked he was, he seemed to have a full range of everything concerning the sport, .......... even Live Bait !

I did notice that he had 4 spools of Trilene in 40, 50, 75 and 90 lbs breaking strain. This would be a good spread as the heaviest was .88mm

Your .35mm Gorilla may very well do for the lightest "E" string. Will be interesting to see if I can get it up to pitch and playability without it breaking. I currently have a Classical Guitar Hard tension Nylon string which is .71mm and a pitch tension on 16lbs . Your Gorilla is half the dia. which is about the size of the steel string "E" on a Mandolin.

What breaking strain is the Gorilla flouro. ?

Advertisement