Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Managing a property

Options
  • 26-01-2016 4:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭

Hi All

I'll going to be taking on a property owned by my elderly parents once our refurbishment is complete..new heating, plumbing, kitchen, bathroom, floors, carpets, all furniture etc. Basically a brand new house.
    So i am looking to good folks of boards.ie for any pearls of wisdom from a landlords perspective on vetting tenants and generally being a good landlord with out getting the piss taken out of me too. I have a good grasp of the landlord/tenant laws, over the year I've been a tenant myself and now a landlord of kinds though the rent a room scheme in my home, but this will be the first time I will be firmly on this side of the fence so to speak.

Any and all advise would be appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

Id advise to just bend down and brace yourself , your in for a rough ride

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭beatlesfan3333

Not necessarily. I have been a first time landlord since April and I have found it to be quite stress free. I have good tenants and they only bother me when something breaks, which isn't very often. I would recommend reading up on all the necessary laws you will need to know as a landlord. Boards is really good for this. Even reading old posts can really educate you.
    When vetting my tenants, I met each one and spoke to them individually. I also rang their references and used my judgement on what type of people I thought they might be - reliable, trustworthy etc.
    Good luck with it, preparation is key.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭newacc2015

IMO carpets are a waste of money. Either sand the floors or put down mid priced. Irish people never buy quality carpet and carpet is difficult to keep clean. Where as mid priced laminate should last 25 years. While a sanded floor can be sanded and vanished again after 10/15 years.

Go to IKEA for furniture. If pieces go missing over the years. They have tons of spares in the warehouse. The quality is excellent for the price. Buy good quality mattress with removable covers from IKEA. When the mattress's are dirty, you can machine wash the tops. Plus cheap mattresses rarely last 5/6 years and the cost of disposing a mattress is like €30(they have to be shipped abroad for recycling).

Only buy German appliances. Cheap British appliances dont last at all and repairs are expensive

IMO go for professionals in a multinational. Generally they dont keep employees who are trouble on. Plus they tend to work longer hours and are less work than someone sitting at home all day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭newacc2015

IMO carpets are a waste of money. Either sand the floors or put down mid priced. Irish people never buy quality carpet and carpet is difficult to keep clean. Where as mid priced laminate should last 25 years. While a sanded floor can be sanded and vanished again after 10/15 years.

Go to IKEA for furniture. If pieces go missing over the years. They have tons of spares in the warehouse. The quality is excellent for the price. Buy good quality mattress with removable covers from IKEA. When the mattress's are dirty, you can machine wash the tops. Plus cheap mattresses rarely last 5/6 years and the cost of disposing a mattress is like €30(they have to be shipped abroad for recycling).

Only buy German appliances. Cheap British appliances dont last at all and repairs are expensive

IMO go for professionals in a multinational. Generally they dont keep employees who are trouble on. Plus they tend to work longer hours and are less work than someone sitting at home all day.

Advertisement