Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Los angeles neighbourhoods

Options
  • 26-01-2016 4:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭

Going to LA this summer as Aer Lingus have direct flights again and I'm not sure where to stay in LA.
    Plan is to stay a few nights in Santa Monica, head to sequoia, back down to Santa barbara, then back to LA but not sure what area to stay for the second stint. Been to Loz feliz and hollywood before so i'm thinking either West Hollywood, Beverly Grove or Beverly Hills. Someone else told me Glendale is nice and has plenty of nightlife.

Any suggestions or pros and cons on these are welcome.

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

If you're only there a couple of nights the first time then I'd stay in Santa Monica the next time too. You could try Venice Beach just to the south.

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Uncle_moe

Well, we'll jhve 4 nights first time round so just thought somewhere different would be good for a change. Perhaps closer to dodger stadium too, taxi back after the game is going to be long no matter what though

Uncle_moe wrote: »
    Well, we'll jhve 4 nights first time round so just thought somewhere different would be good for a change. Perhaps closer to dodger stadium too, taxi back after the game is going to be long no matter what though

Downtown LA is a pretty dull place in the evening but it would be convenient to the stadium. There may even be (gasp!) public transport to dodger stadium (there's a subway and light rail system). Would you be going to a whole series or just one game? If you were planning on three games then I think I'd stay downtown.

nah just one game, got the bus before but just wasn't the most convenient in that it took ages to get there and back.
    Maybe even hollywood would be handiest for that in that we could bus it half way and get the subway the rest of the way back. Just not sure what nightlife is like around there, don't really want to trek to west hollywood at night, rather be able to walk to stuff at night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

I often choose Pasadena as a base when out in LA - good restaurants, museums, shopping, bars & cinema and the place itself is easily walkable. A quick trip on the Gold line into Union Station too.

• Advertisement

nah just one game, got the bus before but just wasn't the most convenient in that it took ages to get there and back.
    Maybe even hollywood would be handiest for that in that we could bus it half way and get the subway the rest of the way back. Just not sure what nightlife is like around there, don't really want to trek to west hollywood at night, rather be able to walk to stuff at night.

Yeah, its a long way but I think i;d still pick Santa Monica myself. I think of it like the West End of london. Other areas maybe okay but the most life is there by the beach.

Pasadena could be an interesting one. I love LA though, just the feel of the place so my only concern would be that it's a little too sterile kind of suburbia in Pasadena but I could be wrong. From the look of it there are loads of bars and restaurants which is great for going out.

Pasadena could be an interesting one. I love LA though, just the feel of the place so my only concern would be that it's a little too sterile kind of suburbia in Pasadena but I could be wrong. From the look of it there are loads of bars and restaurants which is great for going out.

I agree. I've stayed in Beverley hills a few times nd its always a matter of getting a cab to where you want to go in the evenings. its not a very "walkable" neighborhood at night. Its funny how they sometimes look at you sideways when you (gasp) walk into a restaurant rather than use their valet parking.

You could try the West Hollywood/sunset strip area. I dont know much about it though.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭Preset No.3

I would say west hollywood as well. Its far enough away from scumbag ville but close enough to the touristy stuff. Look for something on airbnb and you will be laughing.

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭crapmanjoe

Yeah West hollywood is the best option after the beaches - close to everything and also has its own good night life scene and its walk able (well for LA anyway)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭FatherTed

My corporate offices are in Glendale so I've been out there probably about 10 times now. Maybe because I've been there so much but besides the Americana(outdoor mall area) and some nice restaurants, there isn't much to Glendale. A lot of office buildings like mine:p.

We usually end up going to Pasadena as yama says, fun place. We're planning on taking the family in the summer for a week or so to CA and we plan to stay in Santa Monica or Venice Beach areas mainly because of the beaches.

thanks all for the responses. Very much appreciated, going to try Santa Monica and West Hollywood.

Advertisement