Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How hard is it to get part time work to fit around other parent's full time job?

Options
  • 26-01-2016 5:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭

Just that really. I've been toying with the idea of getting an evening job, to fit around my OHs full time job. The idea is for me to get out for a few hours a week and have some adult company, and also with me earning some small amount of money, my OH would be able to scale back his long hours a bit.

I've seen a lot of part time morning/afternoon jobs but it wouldn't make sense to go after any of these as I would have to get a childminder, which would negate any money earned. Part time evening jobs are more scarce and most positions are looking for some flexibility in hours, so I really need to think hard about it before committing to the idea.

Has anyone managed to work a part time job around their OHs job? Have you found it manageable?

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I would love one,I would work in a pub or similar just for the adult company but it is impossible in our case as he is rarely home before 8 and needs to be able to travel.
    Once he works normal hours and you can depend on him to come home I would go for it.

What sort of work are you thinking of?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭fro9etb8j5qsl2

I'm the same as you, I'd work at anything for the adult company :D I have experience in a few different areas but have no interest in going back to trying to chase my career or anything. I was hoping my local tesco would be taking on staff as they are open until midnight so there would be evening shifts but they have no current vacancies.

My OHs regular shift is 8-5, at the moment he does work longer hours to make up for the shortfall from me not working but if I got something, he would be able to go back to finishing at 5. That's part of the reason I want to do it too, it doesn't seem fair that he is working harder and spending less time with us because I have chosen not to go back to my full time job.

I bit the bullet a while ago and applied for some call centre positions, sure what's the worst that can happen? :D

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Isn't it funny how life changes?
    Career,kids..a job any job once there are adult to talk to lol

Oooh good luck:)

Isn't it funny how life changes?
    Career,kids..a job any job once there are adult to talk to lol

Oooh good luck:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭2xj3hplqgsbkym

Would you consider teaching an adult education class in your local school? If you have a particular skill to share such as Spanish cookery, meditation, photography etc..., you don't have to be a teacher. It would probably only be during term , usually two sets of 10 classes, so only 20 in the year, but the money would be a lot better than other part time jobs.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

Would you consider something where you get to decide the hours yourself?
    Like, I don't know, giving grinds, bit of cleaning or some other type of self-employment where you're not at the mercy of a rota or whatever?
    (I give English classes, and I basically decide when I give the classes myself, it's very handy when you have a child)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭livinsane

Fast food is another option. Might sound like someone's worst nightmare but I've worked a good few late night fast food places in the past (namely chip shops/vans and Subway) and loved it. Its a nice informal work environment and customers are generally quite friendly. 40 hours a week is a different story but part time would be enjoyable.

Ooh it never even occurred to me to give lessons/classes! I play a few musical instruments so I could definitely do some one on one lessons with that. I don't think I'd be the best at teaching a group of adults, I tend to go off on tangents and get too easily drawn into irrelevant conversations :D

Fast food is definitely an option too, I would probably prefer it to working in a bar. Cleaning would be ideal because the hours are easy to work around and there are a lot of cleaning jobs advertised where I am but I have back problems and find hoovering/sweeping/mopping a killer so wouldn't be the best idea :(

I have applied for a few things, mostly retail and evening call centre stuff so hopefully will hear something back. Part of me is excited and part of me is dreading it as I haven't worked in over 2 years!! Not sure if I can remember how to act around other adults at this stage :eek: :D

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭madeinamerica

My experience of cleaning jobs is that you tend to work by yourself. So if you are looking for adults to talk to it might not be a great one.

Just a quick update! I've been applying for every part time/evening job I can find but they seem to be like gold dust! I finally got a few call backs this week, all from home care companies so I have a few interviews lined up for those. Mad because I have a little (but not much) experience in this area, and I haven't heard anything back from the jobs I applied for that I would be much more qualified and experienced to do :confused: Also, I have been contacted by 2 recruitment agencies who somehow got hold of my cv :confused: and wanted me to interview for full time jobs, I suppose that's a sign of the recovering economy.

Anyway, the idea of calling in to elderly people and gassing away with them for a few hours while I look after them sounds like heaven to me and it's exactly the type of job I would enjoy so fingers crossed something will come out of it. I have also sent in a few applications to McDonalds today because from what I have heard, they are very flexible and accommodating with their shifts. They have an evening shift that runs between 7pm and 2am and an overnight shift that runs between midnight and 7am so this would really suit me too. I go to my local drive thru regularly for coffee and the staff seem to get on great with each other and are always in a great mood so that's a good sign.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭MintyMagnum

Hey. Would be curious to know how much the care work pays & what's expected. Know someone in the same boat and have been suggesting that as an option for them.

From what I can find, they mostly pay minimum wage up to €13 per hour, depending on experience. They normally require some sort of fetac care of the elderly qualification but the ones I have been in contact with seem flexible enough and don't mind if you initially don't have the qualification, as long as you agree to have enrolled in the course within 3 months of being employed by them. Some of the companies run courses themselves and will give you full training at a subsidised cost, but I would be wary of handing over any money upfront before being employed.

You're expected to do light housework and some meal preparation, as well as reminding people to take their medication and accompany the person to appointments, if necessary. You would also be expected to take care of their personal hygiene, helping them to wash ect and if necessary, help them with toileting. If the person has incontinence issues, you would be taking care of that and maybe changing soiled bed linen too. Personally, my experience came from looking after a relative from a young enough age so it never bothered me too much but I can imagine that some aspects of it mighn't appeal to someone who has never done it before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

What about self employment? There are some cottage industry options if you can produce something at home, and then sell it. That something could be anything from food, crafty things, to services like online teaching.

Pwurple I love crafty things! I've often thought of making stuff like that and selling it but when I look at the facebook selling pages, I see other people making the same type of crafts that I would be making and they never seem to be selling much so it puts me off :o I suppose I would just have to find a niche. It probably wouldn't give me much interaction with other adults though, I'd just be staying up late on my own doing crafts with the telly on (and that sounds pretty nice to me too!)

I do a bit of writing on the side and have had a few small bits published so I would love to get my arsè into gear and pursue that further but that would also involve late nights/early mornings on my own. I have tried freelance ghostwriting/content writing but the pay is terrible when you are starting off trying to make a name for yourself and it really took the pleasure out of writing for me so I packed it in. Online teaching sounds good, how would that work I wonder?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

I know, it takes a while to get set up, but people can make it work alright. I get quilting services from a woman who works from home, she has a 6 month waiting list she is so good at it. Renowned within the quilting groups...

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭crunchie1

I've done a sports therapy course..I hope it's something I can fit around the kids.it's not going to earn a lot, I hope it will keep me ticking over and meet ppl..

Advertisement