Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is there a 'selling season ' ?

Options
  • 26-01-2016 7:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭

Hi,

First time buyer in Dublin and seeing very few properties coming on the market.

Just wondering is there a selling season and this is normal for January or is it just a supply shortage.

Any advice much appreciated !

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭Pinkycharm

I'm on my third place at this stage but I'm down the country. I've heard summer is the best time to sell because people want to be in and settled by September. We put our first house on the market around May and it was sold by July and did the same last year with the second house but sold in August. Lots of properties very sold in those months here and we had lots of viewings. People don't really tend to want to move in Winter which I have first hand experience of because it is a nightmare. They might not be classified exactly as seasons but late spring/early summer is always popular to buy/sell

• Registered Users Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭worded

Houses always look their best in the spring / summer is another reason

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭Pinkycharm

worded wrote: »
    Houses always look their best in the spring / summer is another reason

Exactly so everything is popular then! Just make sure you love the house no matter what! Unless you are like me and got addicted to fixing places up and selling!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭4ensic15

The main peak is in the Spring with another peak in the Autumn. It is difficuylt during the summer with holidays. Solicitors, surveyors, bank managers and others involved are not available all the time during the summer . In the Winter there is little daylight and the weather is poor.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

I remember reading somewhere that the main selling time for family homes is around March/April as it takes time, usually up to 3 months to close and that gives time to move n before the kids start back at school in Sept.

As for other properties which aren't normally aimed at families, it's the end of the summer I believe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

Anytime outside the winter ,when the weather is mild .

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

For many people the winter is not in fact an impediment to buying or selling- and in the business- it simply means viewings are set for earlier in the daytime (and esp. at weekends).

As per the above comment- there are two distinct peaks- a spring and an autumn peak- and there is one defined 'dead period'- of July and August- where nothing happens. Sure- you might get the odd person who manages to sell in July/August- but they are far and away the exception.

Things are probably quiet around Christmas- but there might be an artificial boost in the run up to the year end- esp. if there are regulatory changes which come in on the 1st of Jan- as often happens.

For many people the winter is not in fact an impediment to buying or selling- and in the business- it simply means viewings are set for earlier in the daytime (and esp. at weekends).

As per the above comment- there are two distinct peaks- a spring and an autumn peak- and there is one defined 'dead period'- of July and August- where nothing happens. Sure- you might get the odd person who manages to sell in July/August- but they are far and away the exception.

Things are probably quiet around Christmas- but there might be an artificial boost in the run up to the year end- esp. if there are regulatory changes which come in on the 1st of Jan- as often happens.

In the Winter nobody wants to go out and view a house in the rain and the owner does not want people with wet footwear tramping around the house. Most people work during the daylight hours and surveyors often do not want to work at the weekends.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,249 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Would the fact that Jan / Feb are a quiet period make it easier for a prospective buyer?

Sleepy wrote: »
    Would the fact that Jan / Feb are a quiet period make it easier for a prospective buyer?

There are fewer houses on offer however but it sometimes happens a desperate or unconcerned seller (such as an executor) just wants to do a deal and be rid of a house and a buyer might hit lucky in the absence of competition. Given the reduced supply though this rarely happens.

• Advertisement
Advertisement