Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sports Direct- Too good to be true

Options
  • 26-01-2016 7:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,114 ✭✭✭✭

Im looking at a waterproof jacket reduced from €215 to €33.50. Should I be suspicious?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 69,024 ✭✭✭✭L1011

The first thing is that the 215 price is notional - nobody will have ever bought it at that even if it was advertised for it.

The second issue is that Sportsdirect/Sportsworlds quality of product can be quite poor - they seem to buy seconds from big brands.

The first thing is that the 215 price is notional - nobody will have ever bought it at that even if it was advertised for it.

The second issue is that Sportsdirect/Sportsworlds quality of product can be quite poor - they seem to buy seconds from big brands.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,622 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

+1
    The offers always look good when it looks like a big discount.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,114 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

L1011 wrote: »
    Is that not illegal?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

It probably was list price or RRP at some point but safe to say not a big success at that price tag. Link?

• Advertisement

Gael23 wrote: »
    Is that not illegal?

No - they'll have advertised it for that price but its so dear nobody in their right mind would have bought it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,493 ✭✭✭Masala

Is that not illegal?

Same as TKMaxx then

Boskowski wrote: »
    It probably was list price or RRP at some point but safe to say not a big success at that price tag. Link?

http://ie.sportsdirect.com/karrimor-xlite-reflective-jacket-mens-452826?colcode=45282611

• Registered Users Posts: 770 ✭✭✭dubal

RRP can be misleading on sports direct as they own some of the brands

Dubal

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭gypsy79

would give that one a miss....that is one of their featured brands.

Quality similar to say dunlop....probably get something as good or better in Dunnes and u can see it before purchase

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

On the karrimor website its similar, 27.99 previously 179.99.
    Its probably an ok jacket but I don't believe anyone ever paid that big money for it. Seems I bit fishy cos none of their current stuff seems in the 200 range either.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

I find that brand pretty good.

I have the running shorts, tshirts and a windbreaker coat from them.

Have all lasted the past couple of years and still in great knick.

Can't speak for the specific item you posted and yes the rrp was nonsense at the beginning but doesn't mean it's not a good price now. Just the gulf of prices is silly.

Boskowski wrote: »
    On the karrimor website its similar, 27.99 previously 179.99.
    Its probably an ok jacket but I don't believe anyone ever paid that big money for it. Seems I bit fishy cos none of their current stuff seems in the 200 range either.

I noticed that and made me feel ok about ordering it. But if it ever was €215 that means there selling it to me at a loss.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭A2LUE42

any free delivery codes for sports direct going at the moment?

• Registered Users Posts: 82,819 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Karrimor is another Sport Direct owned brand like Kangol, Dunlop...I'd say it's a bargain for what you would get for a similar price on a similar spec jacket anywhere else.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

I have one from Sports Direct and have no complaints. It does what it is supposed to

• Registered Users Posts: 15,899 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

It's the same price on the Karrimore website. It was never 215

Got it this morning. Looks perfect. There's a label on it with the price of £179.99 sterling

Got it this morning. Looks perfect. There's a label on it with the price of £179.99 sterling

Still wildly unlikely anyone paid for it at that price

Advertisement