Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Light hiking boots - large size

Options
  • 26-01-2016 7:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,

Owing to the constant rain I decided to pick myself up a pair of waterproof hiking boots. I do a lot of walking on boreens and forest tracks etc. Nothing to heavy. Problem is I am a size 13 and everything seems to stop at 12!

I had intended on buying the berghaus supalite. Attempted to buy them online from one of the popular Irish retailers but they rang today to say they had the size on their website in error and wouldn't be able to fulfill the order.

Budget is around €150 but could stretch it slightly. Can anyone recommend a brand for that budget along the same lines of the supalites (light hiking and leather) in a size 13? Links be great.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Only thing I can say is that I have bought 2 pairs of Goretex fabric type shoes/boots and they have both leaked within the year.
    One leaked at the toebox on both feet while the 2nd pair are now leaking in both boots near my small toe area back a bit towards the side.

Maybe leather is better or I have been just unlucky. Make sure you get a warranty and figure how you might return a faulty pair.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

Cheers lads. Yes I am leaning towards leather alright for durability.

What would ye make of these? Ecco Track II

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭Halloween Jack

Only thing I can say is that I have bought 2 pairs of Goretex fabric type shoes/boots and they have both leaked within the year.
    One leaked at the toebox on both feet while the 2nd pair are now leaking in both boots near my small toe area back a bit towards the side.

Maybe leather is better or I have been just unlucky. Make sure you get a warranty and figure how you might return a faulty pair.

That is pretty unlucky I'd imagine, I had one pair of goretex brashers, suede exterior and they lasted 6 years, in fact they are still kicking around and still waterproof though they are backups now.

That is pretty unlucky I'd imagine, I had one pair of goretex brashers, suede exterior and they lasted 6 years, in fact they are still kicking around and still waterproof though they are backups now.

I don't know if it is my feet rubbing or what. I do tend to underpronate or wear towards the outer of footwear. Heels get worn quickly. But expensive boots like this should be able to hold up.

I have bought waterproof socks since as the leaks are small enough.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Fiskar

Huge discounts on Millets sports at the moment.

picked up these with their further 20% off.

https://www.milletsports.co.uk/running/shoes/mens/salomon-x-ultra-2-gtx-mens-hiking-shoe--/

£65 with discounts. Couldn't better that here

• Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭denismc

The thing with Goretex boots is you have to look after them, a rinse in water after every walk and treat them with "Nikwax" or similar every couple of months. I will easily get 5 years out of a pair with 20-30 hikes a year.
    If you just fling your muddy boots out in the shed after every walk, then yes they will develop leaks.

denismc wrote:
    The thing with Goretex boots is you have to look after them, a rinse in water after every walk and treat them with "Nikwax" or similar every couple of months. I will easily get 5 years out of a pair with 20-30 hikes a year. If you just fling your muddy boots out in the shed after every walk, then yes they will develop leaks.

My boots never get very dirty as I walk on trails.
    I did some of the camino on the first pair which might have light dust.

The 2nd pair I have only used for general walking but the same problem has arisen.

When you look online there seem to be lots of issues with them.
    Funny as my wife has 2 pairs and neither have leaked. She doesn't under or overpronate so maybe it is just my feet that are putting stresses on the gore tex liner.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,114 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Stick your head into Heathers on Arran Quay in Dublin.

This Asolo boot is available in a 13.

Radar Stores in Limerick and (maybe) Landers Outdoors in Tralee might stock them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

Just an update on this in case it helps someone else. Bought a pair of Scarpa Terra GoreTex boots. Got them in my size from the UK for £109. Arrived yesterday and seem to be a perfect fit. They'll get some mileage put up on them over the weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

A suede exterior is hardly a fabric boot though, its a leather boot with a goretex lining.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

Too late now I know, but the North Face make some good light hiking boots (made in Italy I believe) that go well up the scale.

Advertisement