Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Computer Course Advice?

Options
  • 26-01-2016 9:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20

I currently work in a creche and I'd really like a change. I'm pretty computer savvy and enjoy working with them. I have my ECDL etc but I have no idea what kind of course or even job to be aiming for. To be honest I'm not sure what they all entail and it's a huge topic to be trying to sift through. I was hoping someone could offer some info on courses they did and or jobs they got as a result. Preferably FETAC level 5/6 as I can't afford to take on a degree.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭miketheDIYman

Can you create a folder on the Desktop then load photos from your digital camera or phone
    and rename each photo, then log in to your e-mail account and attach certain photos to a new e-mail you have created and sent it on to a friend or colleague ?

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Tibasaur

Can you create a folder on the Desktop then load photos from your digital camera or phone
    and rename each photo, then log in to your e-mail account and attach certain photos to a new e-mail you have created and sent it on to a friend or colleague ?

Yeah I can do anything basic like that I use photoshop a little bit I download torrents and use cracks for them I've dabbled in html all very very basic though nothing complex

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭miketheDIYman

Why not learn how to teach ECDL since you seem very comfortable with computers
    There seem to be lots of opportunities out there as everyone has to take this course !

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Tibasaur

Why not learn how to teach ECDL since you seem very comfortable with computers
    There seem to be lots of opportunities out there as everyone has to take this course !

I wouldn't be too keen on teaching to be honest 😂 want to get away from that though it is a good idea x

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

Maybe pc tech support might suit you,
    go to library , get books on computers, programming,begginers guide,

http://study.com/articles/IT_Support_Technician_Job_Description_and_Education_Requirements.html

http://jobseeker.fas.ie/Default.aspx?q=B+fomdowzS8kaDnSlUDk1yW26DjUJdnN18akyLKDiwVAiY3XUGVUh4GqeJ0SvIN

it maintenance ,
    i sense programming would not be of interest to you.
    using a torrent client is pretty simple.
    like sending a photo to someone,s phone .

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 489 ✭✭AngryDiMaria

Tibasaur wrote: »
    I currently work in a creche and I'd really like a change. I'm pretty computer savvy and enjoy working with them. I have my ECDL etc but I have no idea what kind of course or even job to be aiming for. To be honest I'm not sure what they all entail and it's a huge topic to be trying to sift through. I was hoping someone could offer some info on courses they did and or jobs they got as a result. Preferably FETAC level 5/6 as I can't afford to take on a degree.

Where are you based?

This course or others that are similar would be a good starting point.

http://libertiescollege.ie/index.php/2013-12-13-12-48-44/full-time-courses/information-technology/networking-technician-cisco-certified

You would be able to progress to third level afterwards if your circumstances change.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭excollier

CompTIA A+ then CompTIA Network+

I Would not do any programming course if you don,t have honors leaving cert maths,
    as programming, is mainly based on complex concepts like maths .

riclad wrote: »
    I Would not do any programming course if you don,t have honors leaving cert maths,

I only have junior cert ordinary level maths and I'm doing very well in java programming. It doesn't matter what your level is, the courses out there are there to teach people that's the while point of learning.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭AwaitYourReply

I only have junior cert ordinary level maths and I'm doing very well in java programming. It doesn't matter what your level is, the courses out there are there to teach people that's the while point of learning.

Unless a person has an actual aptitude in the area concerned, one may end up wasting a lot of time. All very fine to mention the whole point of learning in an ideal world but it is unhelpful and incorrect to suggest that it doesn't matter as it can actually matter a great deal particularly if someone does not have a sufficient grasp of all the main concepts involved - Some people could spend hours & hours studying and it still may just not sink in for them.

If someone has major doubts about their own ability at something, they should keep an open mind and be prepared to switch course especially; if they are gonna do something that is initially outside of their comfort zone. If it is someone of a mature age, their initial thoughts are probably right and they should pick something within their own comfort zone.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭excollier

Unless a person has an actual aptitude in the area concerned, one may end up wasting a lot of time. All very fine to mention the whole point of learning in an ideal world but it is unhelpful and incorrect to suggest that it doesn't matter as it can actually matter a great deal particularly if someone does not have a sufficient grasp of all the main concepts involved - Some people could spend hours & hours studying and it still may just not sink in for them.

If someone has major doubts about their own ability at something, they should keep an open mind and be prepared to switch course especially; if they are gonna do something that is initially outside of their comfort zone. If it is someone of a mature age, their initial thoughts are probably right and they should pick something within their own comfort zone.

Agreed, that analysis applies to me and my new job......both in the learning side and the mature age comment......be careful what you wish for.

The OP wants to do a course in computing, it was unhelpful of the previous poster to state that if the OP didn't have honours leaving cert maths they wouldn't be able to do the programming end of things. Level 5 courses are good for testing the water to see if thats an area in which you would like to study further, I recommended a course to the OP which has some programming involved but also has a maths for computing module.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Tibasaur wrote: »

Without a degree getting into development is very difficult tending towards impossible.

So what youll be looking at is Support Tech, Field Tech or becoming a networking head. Probably try self study + doing the A+ to see how you get on. Thats a nice intro and will give you a feel for that side of IT.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

ED E wrote: »
    Without a degree getting into development is very difficult tending towards impossible.

So what youll be looking at is Support Tech, Field Tech or becoming a networking head. Probably try self study + doing the A+ to see how you get on. Thats a nice intro and will give you a feel for that side of IT.

Pretty much the same tech side re the degree. Only thing the OP has going for them is that they would appear to be female. Larger companies are willing to look the other way to try get women into internal IT departments.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

riclad wrote: »

Bollox.
    Pretty much the same tech side re the degree. Only thing the OP has going for them is that they would appear to be female. Larger companies are willing to look the other way to try get women into internal IT departments.

The only thing the OP needs for a career in IT is passion and interest. I dont know why her gender is relevant.

"The only way you'll get a job is if the employer looks the other way because you have a set of t*ts".

Utter bollox.

I,M not a programmer , but i read that programming is based on understanding advanced abstract concept,s and precise logic similar to mathematics and algebra
    so if you are not interested in maths why would you be interested in programming .
    I don,t think html or web design needs person who has an honors leaving cert maths .

I understand there lots of clever people out there who never went to university and
    it may suit them more to do a course on a specific subject without getting a degree .
    eg basic programming or a course on c plus or java .
    http://programmers.stackexchange.com/questions/89158/do-you-have-to-be-good-at-math-to-be-a-good-programmer

quote ;

I'm going against the grain and saying yes, you need a math mindset. Most people think of math as doing arithmetic or memorizing arcane formulas. This is like asking if you need perfect spelling or an extraordinary vocabulary to be a good writer.

Writing is about communication, and math/programming is about the process of clear, logical thinking (in a way that you can't make mistakes; the equation doesn't balance, or the program doesn't compile). Specifically, that logical thinking manifests in:

Ability to estimate / understand differences between numbers: O(n^2) vs O(lg(n)), intuitive sense of KB vs MB vs GB, how slow disk is compared to RAM. If you don't realize how tiny a KB is compared to a GB you'll be wasting time optimizing things that don't matter.
    Functions / functional programming (is it any coincidence that the equation f(x) = x^2 is so similar to how you'd write that method? The words "algorithm" and "function" were around in the math world far before the first computer was born
    Basic algebra to create & reorder your own equations, take averages, basic stats
    So, I'll say you need a math mindset, being able to construct & manipulate mental models of what your program is doing, rather than a collection of facts & theorems. Certain fields like graphics or databases will have certain facts you need also, but to me that's not the essence of being "good at math

like for someone who is small or overweight ,or clumsy
    it might be a waste of time to spend months learning ballet dancing .

i think math has a close relationship to programming ,
    in terms of logical reasoning ,

Like someone Must have good sense of musical ryhthm and dexterity in order to be a professional guitar player

• Registered Users Posts: 47 kodaline78

Hi I am interested in doing a computer course, part time would be preferable. I have a ECDL

Certification from 2006 that I haven't used to any great degree as I was working in the education sector. My question is what is the follow up course to ECDL or should I do an updated version of the ECDL. any advice would be appreciated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

kodaline78 wrote: »
    Hi I am interested in doing a computer course, part time would be preferable. I have a ECDL

Certification from 2006 that I haven't used to any great degree as I was working in the education sector. My question is what is the follow up course to ECDL or should I do an updated version of the ECDL. any advice would be appreciated.

What area of computing are you interested in?

• Registered Users Posts: 47 kodaline78

I have a very basic knowledge of computing in general, and would like to become more computer literate, what is the follow up course you would do after completing ECDL

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭WhatsGoingOn2

Go to https://www.udemy.com/ or an equivalent and sign up for a course and take it at home.

If you are looking to get into programming, I would suggest that a Python course would be a good starting point. Most courses are under 20 hours long, so you could know in a couple of weeks whether you want to pursue a career in programming or not. If you think you do want to, you could look then at other languages such as Java.

After that, if you are still interested, go and get a recognised qualification from there. If not look at a course in another area of IT and repeat..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭MillField

Totally agree. I got a C2 in ordinary level maths in the leaving and I got a degree and work as a programmer now. Maths definitely isn't a requirement.

Advertisement