Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

bold kitten, hungry cat

• 26-01-2016 10:23pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 991 ✭✭✭

We have a new feline in the house, and he's stealing the cat's food.

The cat has always had 'free grazing' - biscuits always available, other food served twice daily. She seems to snack six times a day rather than eating a full meal.

The arrival of the kitten is causing issues as he is stealing her food. We have tried increasing his food and giving him almost the same food (different biscuits), but he is still helping himself. They're fed in two different rooms, but we can't block off access to the kitten without blocking off access to the cat - any suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,502 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Cat will get hungry and will eat at meal times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,310 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

hard to read which cat/kitten is talked about in your statement.

Either way, I would feed them each at the same time in different rooms closed off from each other for a short while. maybe do it less often (eg. twice per day) to encourage both to eat when it is time to eat, lest their food be gone later.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

Cats are grazers, I have had this problem many times over the years, sick cat special food, kitten, older cat specific food, they all eat each other's food.
    Kittens and older (elderly) cats need small meals often, 4 or more a day depending on age.
    With a kitten and adult cat, once the kitten passes about 3 months I just leave them steal other cats food and keep it topped up, a good quality adult cat food won't do any harm, not ideal for growing kitten, but once it's getting a couple of meals of kitten food, leave him off stealing the cats food, won't be long before they are on same food.
    My last addition refused kitten food from 4 months, she's now the biggest cat in the house, and she was a feral kitten.

Another option is to mix the two foods in a bowl and let them both share, I've tried this but one older cat just picked out and ate the kitten food!

Advertisement