Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clipped a fan cable while disconnecting heatsink

Options
  • 26-01-2016 11:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭

Hello all,

First time here at attempting to reapply thermal paste and I clipped a fan cable while trying to disconnect the plug from the board. :o
    Any suggestions on how to repair??
    Thanks in advance..
    P.s. It's a laptop..perhaps wrong forum?
    oVHNGDx.jpg?1

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

You probably dont have too much slack it being a laptop, so you'll probably have to splice in an extra inch of wire.

Strip the end of whats there, clear out the receiving hole, strip and splice in the new section and tape together with electrical tape. Soldering at the connector would probably be ideal (you can pull the internal metal pin out).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭eeguy

Boxman wrote: »
    Hello all,

First time here at attempting to reapply thermal paste and I clipped a fan cable while trying to disconnect the plug from the board. :o
    Any suggestions on how to repair??
    Thanks in advance..
    P.s. It's a laptop..perhaps wrong forum?
    oVHNGDx.jpg?1

Your white plug probably looks something link this 3-PIN%20CONNECTOR%20WITH%20HEADER.png

If you push a pin through the little rectangular slot you should be able to pull the red wire put of the plug
    Solder an inch or two or a similar type wire to bridge the two pieces of cut wire, then heatshrink or cover any exposed parts with electrical tape.
    Puah the connector back into the white plug and reassemble

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Boxman

Thanks very much for the replies.

I saw the pin and got it out as you suggested but the pin was bent and knocked out of shape and I wasn't able so solder it back to the red wire properly. I put it back in anyway along with a bit of solder on the red wire (I had just enough length) and its a tight enough fit now and is working.

Thanks again.

Advertisement