Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Skin care regime overhaul

Options
  • 27-01-2016 12:29am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭

Where do I start?
    I'm 35 and feel like I need to start investing a bit more time and interest in my skin! Nothing bad, a little oily, the odd hormonal breakout, generally getting a bit older!

For years I've been using Simple cleanser, Boots witch hazel and tea tree toner and Clinique Dramatically Different moisturising gel. Mostly Clinique make up. Daily regime is fine for cleaning my skin but I need to protect it from the sun (quite fair) and look after the wrinkles and blemishes a bit better.

I feel if I go to a salon/beauty counter I'll just get sold whatever brand they have from someone who may/may not know what they're talking about. I haven't a clue where to start with serums/lotions/bb/cc/primers ????

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

I won a book, About Face by Aisling McDermott, and it has really helped me figure out what products to use for my skin type. Might be worth seeing if anyone you know has it, or even popping into a book shop for a flick through it to see if you're interested in it. It has lots of product recommendations and it explains what ingredients to look out for and what to avoid.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭TheIronyMaiden

I'd recommend Caroline Hirons blog as a good starting point (the cheat sheets on her blog are great). Realistically there is a looooot of information out there (most of it conflicting) and it really is trial and error to find what works best for you. Obviously water intake and diet are the two factors that will effect your skin most, before you start looking at products to put on it. That said, I started reading Caroline's blog about a year and a half ago and went from face wipes to a proper routine and my skin is so much better for it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭emer_b

Thanks for those suggestions.
    My diet is good (except for too much chocolate) and I only drink water unless I'm having an odd tipple (no tea or coffee!) so I think I'm doing ok from within. Just need to do a bit research I guess

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭lubie76

I'm heading to the US next week and have preordered a haul of Paulas Choice products to be delivered to my hotel for my arrival. The advice on her website and products are fantastic and not that expensive in US. She also does international delivery but not too sure how that works out with customs. She has UK site but with the sterling it works out expensive. Still if you want to buy a range she does great sets for different skin types and would be much the same as dermalogica prices.

i have been researching her stuff for a while now and got a few samples of her own brand and it really is superior to any other brands imo. She also reviews other products and rates them so it's not just her own stuff she gives advice about. I think when you hit your mid thirties it is time to start using premium products as you won't get away with cheap crap. Caroline Hirron is also very reliable for skincare advice.

All the beauty gurus will tell you there is only one thing that can prevent ageing and that's SPF so add that to your routine ASAP. Also I can testify for hormonal break outs like chin acne, 2 capsules of 1000mg evening primrose oil daily will sort it out in about a month. I couldnt believe the turnaround in my skin.

Thanks lubie, I'll have a look at those brands. I know that spf is really important and need to find some way of including it. I tried a few products in the past but all felt very greasy. I only switched to an oil free moisturiser a few months ago and the difference is unreal, far less spots than I was getting before.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 319 ✭✭vibrantblue

Caroline Hirons' blog is a great start to get informed.

If you wear make up, I'd definitely recommend getting an oil or a balm cleanser. My favourites are Oskia Renaissance Cleansing Gel, Emma Hardie Moringa Balm and Clinique Take the Day Off Balm. But there are plenty of more reasonably priced options out there now that are really good. Just browse at Boots.

If you really feel like you can't give up face washes, I like La Roche Posay Lipikar Syndet. It is actually a body wash but it has excellent ingredients and can be used on face as well.

Acid toning works wonders for me. My skin hates physical exfoliation as it is sensitive. For BHA, you can't go wrong w/ Paula's Choice. Her other products are full of silicones, which my skin hates, but her BHAs are excellent. For AHA, I like Pixi Glow Tonic and First Aid Beauty pads.

I like hydrating mists. It is essential for me. But to be completely honest, it is a very skip-able, frivolous step.

In terms of serums, oils, etc, I am very high maintenance. I have a billion step skin care routine. There is really good info on these at Caroline's blog. But I use a hyaluronic acid serum/essence (I get these from Japanese and Korean brands. They make excellent HA products at a great price point) and an oil (current fave from Aurelia) at all times.

I rather spend my money on acids, serums and oils and use a simple moisturiser. It works fine for me. I recommend La Roche Posay Toleriane Fluide to all my friends w/ oily skin. It is amazing. I use it too, eventhough I have dry skin. I more than make up for it with the serums, oils, etc. anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭lukesmom

I switched to la Roche posay and the difference is amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,759 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

emer_b wrote:
    Boots witch hazel and tea tree toner

I SWEAR by the tea tree & witch hazel foaming cleanser but I find that toner waaaaaaaaay too astringent, even for my super-oily skin. Maybe look at replacing that.

IObviously water intake and diet are the two factors that will effect your skin most

Tbh, I'd have to disagree here and say that genetics and environmental factors (e.g. sun damage) are the two biggies when it comes to skin. No amount of water or ingested nutrients can combat those, unfortunately. They can help, absolutely, but they're not the main influences by a long shot.

But you're also dead right in saying that so much of the advice out there is conflicting. Everyone's skin is different, OP, so what works for me or anyone else isn't necessarily going to work for you. I would definitely add some SPF into your current routine somewhere but other than that, if it ain't broke, etc etc. Do you actually have any issues with your skin or do you just feel like you *should* be doing something different because everyone else seems to be?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭ams

I just ordered some Paula's Choice (2% BHA liquid) from Look Fantastic - there's 25% off at the moment - unfortunately had to go via Parcel Motel as they wouldn't deliver it to Ireland - but still worked out cheaper than paulaschoice.eu

Dial Hard wrote: »
    I SWEAR by the tea tree & witch hazel foaming cleanser but I find that toner waaaaaaaaay too astringent, even for my super-oily skin. Maybe look at replacing that.

Tbh, I'd have to disagree here and say that genetics and environmental factors (e.g. sun damage) are the two biggies when it comes to skin. No amount of water or ingested nutrients can combat those, unfortunately. They can help, absolutely, but they're not the main influences by a long shot.

But you're also dead right in saying that so much of the advice out there is conflicting. Everyone's skin is different, OP, so what works for me or anyone else isn't necessarily going to work for you. I would definitely add some SPF into your current routine somewhere but other than that, if it ain't broke, etc etc. Do you actually have any issues with your skin or do you just feel like you *should* be doing something different because everyone else seems to be?

I don't have any particular skin issues other than I feel I'm starting to age, and I'm conscious of sun damage from my youth (I'm pale and freckly!!).
    It's not that I feel I "should" be doing something different, I just think I can't expect to get the same radiance that I had in my 20s by using the same old regime. There must be some products out there that nourish/enrich the skin rather than just cleaning it which I am doing!
    Thanks for the replies

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,759 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

emer_b wrote: »
    It's not that I feel I "should" be doing something different, I just think I can't expect to get the same radiance that I had in my 20s by using the same old regime. There must be some products out there that nourish/enrich the skin rather than just cleaning it which I am doing

Well no, your skin's needs do change as you get older alright, so it's no harm in changing your products to reflect this, but I was just wondering if there was something in particular that was bothering you about your skin or your current regime. Personally, my skin (while still oily) has dried out a LOT in the past few years (I've just turned 34). In my 20's I wouldn't have had to moisturise every day whereas now I do. I still don't use night cream, though, and a lot of moisturisers would still be far too heavy for my skin. For instance, I was given a tub of Creme de la Mer as a gift two Christmasses ago and it's still sitting virtually untouched on my dresser as it was just far, far too rich for my skin. Cream formulas in general don't agree with my skin.

At the moment I'm using Vichy Neovadial Magistral oil as a moisturiser. Before that, I tried Trilogy Rosehip oil (which I won instead of buying, thankfully) but it was too heavy for me and started giving me lots of little bumps so I chucked it.

Finding a product that works for you is very much hit & miss so try a few things before you settle. Hit the various counters, explain your concerns above and ask for samples. Kiehl's are great for samples, as are Boots, generally. Also, don't fall too much for the pseudo-scientific blurb about nourishing/enriching your skin as there's only so much a topical product can do, at the end of the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭ams

Just to update - Lookfantastic won't deliver to Parcel Motel so back to the drawing board for me!

Thanks again dial hard, I hadn't thought of looking for samples!
    I'm prepared to spend some money on new products but don't want to waste too much trying different things.

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭LinF

emer_b wrote: »
    Thanks lubie, I'll have a look at those brands. I know that spf is really important and need to find some way of including it. I tried a few products in the past but all felt very greasy. I only switched to an oil free moisturiser a few months ago and the difference is unreal, far less spots than I was getting before.

My Monsia day moisturiser has SPF15 and my Boots #7 match made foundation also has SPF15 neither product feels at all greasy.

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭mrsberries

+3 for Caroline Hirons and her cheat sheets. My regime is way longer and a tad more expensive than what it was but my skin is looking great for it (Im late 30s).

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭LinF

Now I have time to enjoy my garden. Unfortunately I suffer from brown patches caused by a build up of melanin.To combat it
    1. I am making a sunscreen with SPF30 from coconut oil, beeswax granules, shea butter (I know my skin loves this because it is in my Monsia Skincare) and zinc oxide powder
    2. Make sure I wear a wide brimmed hat & long sleeves.
    3. Make sure I eat fruit & veg that are rich in vit A, C, K & E

Advertisement