Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Over insured ?

• 27-01-2016 12:49am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭

Looking at policies as they're up for renewal:

House insurance (buildings & contents) = €182,000 & €50,000
    Mortgage Protection Insurance = €215,000
    Life Insurance = €350,000

Now, Obviously the bank won't issue a mortgage unless there's mortgage protection in place, but the life insurance would more than clear the mortgage, so why do I have to spend an additional €450+ a year for the next 20 odd years?

Do I have any options here?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,476 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

OU812 wrote: »
    Now, Obviously the bank won't issue a mortgage unless there's mortgage protection in place, but the life insurance would more than clear the mortgage, so why do I have to spend an additional €450+ a year for the next 20 odd years?

Because you have made the choice that should you die, there will be a large lump sum as well as the mortgage getting paid off.

The mortgage protection policy is assignable to the lending institution and protects their interests. On the other hand nobody is forcing you to have that life policy so it's not the bank's fault that you chose to pay the premiums.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,345 ✭✭✭phormium

Exactly as above, you could of course cancel the mortgage protection and assign your other policy to the bank. But somewhere along the line you obviously made a decision that you should have a lump sum of 350k available if you die.

Advertisement