Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heading to Iraq for Work

• 27-01-2016 1:14am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 972 ✭✭✭

I'm off to the Kurdish region of Iraq to cover a story out there. Any advice for staying safe? Anything I should bring? I've never gone to a 'hot zone'

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

The company you will be reporting for will probably arrange a local liaison to meet you and any colleagues you might have.
    There might be someone within your organisation that advises on security precautions.

Or are you on your own?

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭AllthingsCP

WarZ wrote: »
    I'm off to the Kurdish region of Iraq to cover a story out there. Any advice for staying safe? Anything I should bring? I've never gone to a 'hot zone'

Call in sick!!

Have you not attended a HEAT ''Hostile Environment Awareness Training'' course my advice ask the company to sponsor you if you are really concerned as the Middle East is the wild west right now. Also you will likely be issued security or in a low risk zone.

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭SNAKEDOC

Unless this is your lifes goal or the story is simply too important to pass up i'd be taking another job. baring taking another job make sure you recieve the courses that are advised before travelling. Make sure you know where you are and where your going and familiarise yourself with local maps. Listen to your minders asuming of course that you will have someone looking after you. Stay in contact with colleagues and never travel alone. Be safe and dont take any unnecessary risks. Common sense really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,892 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Common sense would tell me there's better ways to make a living.

Behave like you would in Limerick.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,810 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

If you have to come onto an internet forum to get some advice on this something is seriously wrong

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

Arrive at the airport with lots of money sticking out of your pockets, you want to let them know you mean business straight off. Then go with the scariest looking guide.
    Don't forget to checkin on Facebook!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,691 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Don't wear any clothes with labels/logo's on them, sports jerseys etc...
    download some apps for security provider companies (iSOS etc..), as they can be a great resource for information on what to do and what not to do, and what issues are arising as they arise.

Be sensible, keep your head down and follow every instruction given to you by your security liaison, ask him for a basic weapons run down (how to load/make safe, turn on/off safety etc...)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭Nomis21

If you need to ask on here than you should not be going.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Stealthfins

You might be better off getting a bodyboard and fins and surf Aileens wave by the cliffs of mother....
    Or cycle along the edge of the cliffs on a day with a heavy offshore wind.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Owryan

Have we a new "investment" on boards?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 972 ✭✭✭WarZ

Thank you for serious replies. Honestly I'm terrified.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Magico Gonzalez

To cover a story!

Wise up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Magico Gonzalez

To cover a story!

Wise up.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭ComfortKid

Surly a pisstake? Anyway, you should bring an American flag with you, and wrap it around you at ALL times,any enemy will be put off by it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,474 ✭✭✭✭Victor

If the worst come to the worst and you end up being a paraplegic needing 24-hour nursing support for the next 60 years, who is paying for you and your family? You need insurance with a minimum value of €10 million (sod all income, what with negative interest rates).

At a minimum, you need to be physically fit, i.e. able to comfortably run 5km, but not look a threat. You need the clothes and equipment, the first aid training, the survival training, defensive driving and how to do basic vehicle repairs, etc. You should know at least the basics in the local dialects. Do sensitivity training - know when to take off your sunglasses, who to shake hands with and when, who to talk to and who not to talk to, when to take pictures and when no to.

Remember it's still winter and it freezes in the mountains.

And wear sun protection.

And don't forget to bring Barrys teabags....and clean underwear.....a good book for the plane. Something like one of those X-factor biogs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

WarZ wrote: »
    Thank you for serious replies. Honestly I'm terrified.

If you are for real, is your employer not assisting in all this?

Just to check, is it on a Jobsbridge?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,449 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

OK guys, calm down. Assume he's serious.

That said, if you are serious, you have to have some proper discussions with your employer who is sending you there. If they have not thought about security precautions, or at least a local liaison, you want to be thinking twice about going.

It's not as if the entire country is a war zone, Kurdistan should be relatively quiet (Once you figure out how to get there), but you'd still want someone local to at least prevent you from getting fleeced or going down the wrong neighborhood at night.

• Advertisement

OK guys, calm down. Assume he's serious.

That said, if you are serious, you have to have some proper discussions with your employer who is sending you there. If they have not thought about security precautions, or at least a local liaison, you want to be thinking twice about going.

It's not as if the entire country is a war zone, Kurdistan should be relatively quiet (Once you figure out how to get there), but you'd still want someone local to at least prevent you from getting fleeced or going down the wrong neighborhood at night.

War zones are not the only high risk zones. You could be 1000 miles from any conflict zone and still offend the wrong person, E,g Never greet the female first if a male is present also. If you do you will end up in a basement somewhere just to note not all regions or sub region abide to this but just be safe. Be careful taken photos of certain buildings or holy relics items ask permission first before you take any photo.

Attend a H.E.AT course and any other course available, Research the region research the local defense & militia forces know where the safe zones are embassy if acceptable garrisons police stations hospital lay way stations and such. Your company such be providing you with information if not request it.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,810 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Fighting between the Turks and Kurds in SE Turkey has been pretty heavy recently, you don't see it reported much in the english media but I come across it in German.. incase that's how you are planning to get to Iraqi-Kurdistan?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,075 ✭✭✭questionmark?

Don't stand out like a sore thumb i.e don't have a big red sunburned head on you with your favourite GAA top on. Grow out the beard, use sunscreen and dress in line with those around you.

Don't stand out like a sore thumb i.e don't have a big red sunburned head on you with your favourite GAA top on. Grow out the beard, use sunscreen and dress in line with those around you.
    But if he doesn't have his GAA top on how will they know which county he's from?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,363 ✭✭✭KingBrian2

You should defo ask for a pay rise.

Advertisement