Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

55 inch samsung smart tv

Options
  • 27-01-2016 1:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,880 ✭✭✭

4/11/2014 I paid 1.100 for smart Samsung tv.

today it had no picture , but had sound.

I turned it off for a while then tried again , this time no sound no picture.

im am very upset over this. I am still paying for it.

from googling today it seems a capacitor is the fault in these tvs.

I see in usa a legal case was taken over this where the litigants won the case..

its over 10 weeks over 12 months .....have I rights re replacement at this stage???

it is not of merchantable quality that's for sure ....thks paddy

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 143 ✭✭Stoned Since 2011

Recycling centre for it, buy again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,880 ✭✭✭2012paddy2012

ah thanks a mill. There is one down the rod , will pop it in tomorrow morning ... thanks for your sensible advice.
    your a credit to boards ....much appreciated

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

What do you mean when you say youre still paying for it? Harvey Normans by any chance?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

I would also imagine that the manufacturers warranty supercedes any crappy store warranty you were given. 14 months is not what i call merchantible use.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

What have you actually done yourself to get it fixed? Have you contacted the place of purchase?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Your first port of call is the shop where you bought it. Have you been in contact with them yet?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

sugarman wrote: »
    What stupid advice!

The TV is covered for up to 6 years under consumers rights laws.

The shop should offer to repair, replace or refund the TV.

If not, small claims court will sort it out.

*provided its a manufacturer fault of course,

But yes you are indeed correct, the OP never should have been told to bin the tv thats extremely poor advise,.

The OP could very well still get this repaired if they bother to pursue the matter properly,

To put this into context, I have a 27" IMac from 2011, display on it died recently and its well out of warranty and apple care.

Apple repaired it under EU law (6 years) and I only had to pay the 50e charge to the shop I dropped it into to diagnose the issue before it went to Apple. Saved me about 700e!

dudara wrote: »
    Your first port of call is the shop where you bought it. Have you been in contact with them yet?

Hi thanks for all the advice ya was onto shop today . they contacted manufacturer and I'm told I will get call out within 3 days. Fingers crossed... I really query whether I should allow repair or hold out for a replacement ...or credit note and buy a different model... I am a bit annoyed that there was a known issue (faulty component) which I discovered on internet after this fault occurred.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

Hi thanks for all the advice ya was onto shop today . they contacted manufacturer and I'm told I will get call out within 3 days. Fingers crossed... I really query whether I should allow repair or hold out for a replacement ...or credit note and buy a different model... I am a bit annoyed that there was a known issue (faulty component) which I discovered on internet after this fault occurred.
    Is it a faulty component that they can replace with a functional one? If yes, you cannot reasonably refuse a repair. If no, you can hold out for a replacement or a refund.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Is it a faulty component that they can replace with a functional one? If yes, you cannot reasonably refuse a repair. If no, you can hold out for a replacement or a refund.

I'd tend to agree with this, its a smart TV from 2014 so odds are the model may not be sold anymore so replacement may not be a option. That leaves refund...which likely isn't going to be offered ahead of repair.

If the repair works I fail to see the issue,.

• Advertisement

ya they have logged call for me , i got a call today from the authorised repair crowd who will replace some circuit board free and 3 month gaurantee.
    I will go with that , but still unhapppy this is necessary thks all

ya they have logged call for me , i got a call today from the authorised repair crowd who will replace some circuit board free and 3 month gaurantee.
    I will go with that , but still unhapppy this is necessary thks all
    Don't even think about the 3 month guarantee. If the television fails again in a year or two, you still have rights against the supplier.

what else can do......months before small claims court would decide .....

I don't mean that you should refuse the repair. What I mean is that if the television fails again after the supposed 3 month guarantee has expired, you still have the right to seek a remedy.

In general, your rights last for the reasonable expectation of the life of a product, but with an outside limit of 6 years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

No, he meant the repair is expected to be permanent so a 3 month guarantee means nothing as such.

sound lads....i was on to shop today and kept a transcript of "chat,,,i outlined my unhappiness with the situation
    so i have my concerns noted ...if it goes faulty again in next while its small claim courts for replacement as i
    accepted repair thanks all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

Cabaal wrote: »
    *provided its a manufacturer fault of course,

But yes you are indeed correct, the OP never should have been told to bin the tv thats extremely poor advise,.

The OP could very well still get this repaired if they bother to pursue the matter properly,

To put this into context, I have a 27" IMac from 2011, display on it died recently and its well out of warranty and apple care.

Apple repaired it under EU law (6 years) and I only had to pay the 50e charge to the shop I dropped it into to diagnose the issue before it went to Apple. Saved me about 700e!

Irish law gives six years. The Directive imposed a 2 year minimum which was ignored here due to the Statute of Limitations.

It remains to be challenged, but many are erring on the side of caution and giving two years, which still does not preclude a course of action in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Pataman

If you want shot of it, I will buy it off you!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Why so unhappy? They are without question repairing the TV.

Advertisement