Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cancelling Eir due to no service

Options
  • 27-01-2016 6:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭

I've been having ongoing problems with my phone line and broadband for weeks now. The fault report kept getting closed without actually being resolved. The guy that came out on Monday said the fault was in the line, but as it was a few feet inside the fence it was on private property and not the responsibility of Eir. So I obviously don't want to be paying for a service I don't get and they don't want to actually fix it. I'll be cancelling today I'm just wondering what the cancellation process is, I see a lot of people talking about cancellation fees. As I began the contract 11 years ago I can't remember what I signed up to
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭horsefarm

Oh and the Eir customer service couldn't get any worse i've just had a call from the most rude condescending woman ever representing Eir. Fantastic way to lose customers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭eir: Alan

horsefarm wrote: »
    Oh and the Eir customer service couldn't get any worse i've just had a call from the most rude condescending woman ever representing Eir. Fantastic way to lose customers
    Hi horsefarm

Can you please PM me your eir account number and add a summary of what the eir representative advised? Apologies for the negative experience so far.

Thanks
    Al

eir: Alan wrote: »
    Hi horsefarm

Can you please PM me your eir account number and add a summary of what the eir representative advised? Apologies for the negative experience so far.

Thanks
    Al
    Sorry I didn't reply before, I was then promised again by a customer care rep on the phone would resolve the issue but yet again I was left disappointed. They keep sending out the same chip on their shoulder repair guy who is now leaving snotty notes in my letter box. Just to clarify, the fault is 6 inches inside the fence and i'm not looking for this to be fixed for free. The snotty repair guy just tells me to get a builder. I don't see the sense in getting a builder out to repair a small fault in an Eir line that is a few inches from the Eir pole when surely an Eir service guy could do the same job only better and in a matter of minutes? 

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭dragon5678

Hi horsefarm

Thanks
    Al
    Sorry I didn't reply before, I was then promised again by a customer care rep on the phone would resolve the issue but yet again I was left disappointed. They keep sending out the same chip on their shoulder repair guy who is now leaving snotty notes in my letter box. Just to clarify, the fault is 6 inches inside the fence and i'm not looking for this to be fixed for free. The snotty repair guy just tells me to get a builder. I don't see the sense in getting a builder out to repair a small fault in an Eir line that is a few inches from the Eir pole when surely an Eir service guy could do the same job only better and in a matter of minutes? 
    Eir are responsible with all faults on the line as far as the Master Socket coming into your house, as they own and have fitted this line, and you pay rental on this line also. If the fault is outside in the garden then Eir have the responsibility to fix it. If the fault is in your own internal wiring after the Master Socket (i.e. to secondary sockets), then its your responsibility but, from what yo said earlier, it seems to be with Eir's line coming into your house.

dragon5678 wrote: »
    Eir are responsible with all faults on the line as far as the Master Socket coming into your house, as they own and have fitted this line, and you pay rental on this line also. If the fault is outside in the garden then Eir have the responsibility to fix it. If the fault is in your own internal wiring after the Master Socket (i.e. to secondary sockets), then its your responsibility but, from what yo said earlier, it seems to be with Eir's line coming into your house.

Thanks a million for your reply.

Here is where the fault is (150m from my home)

image_zps2jwfiupa.jpg

And here is the message left by Eir repair guy
    image_zpsnwtu1ihl.jpg

I've been told it's on my property, I have to get a builder to replace a couple of meters of cable, but as you can see that would result in the builder working on the public roadway. But I have also been told I am not allowed to get a builder to work on the public roadway.

Most definitely the very worst customer service I have ever encountered from Eir. I have called 1901 at least 20 times on this issue and then j get told to call 1901 again. Beyond a joke

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 368 ✭✭xband

It's Eir's line up until the first eircom/Telecom/P&T branded socket aka the "NTU"

If they're going to be like that they're not capable or interested in providing you with a phone line.

I would suggest you contact ComReg as Eir have a universal service obligation. They can't just dump a customer because of the type of line fault.

What's next?

Order broadband and get a map to the telephone exchange, a set of keys and a screwdriver!?!! (Provide your own cable!)

Why would you be involved in installing, maintaining or repairing what is eir plant and equipment ? I'm not even sure where you would terminate the line? Do they suggest you try to make your own connection on the pole or in the manhole too?

Oh and then it gets even better, call 1901 and they tell me I can GET MY HUSBAND TO FIX IT

And, other than the 1950s time warp helpline, should your husband injure himself while working on eircom plant at their instruction?!

xband wrote: »
    And, other than the 1950s time warp helpline, should your husband injure himself while working on eircom plant at their instruction?!

This was said in the very same conversation where I was told a builder wasn't allowed to work on it. Honestly I think they are just having a laugh at my expense at this stage

ComReg needed on this one.

At the very least demand to get the area manager to call out. Someone is "confused".

• Advertisement

ComReg needed on this one.

At the very least demand to get the area manager to call out. Someone is "confused".

I'll do that today, thanks so much for the advice

image_zpsbceyswli.jpg

No Eir are adamant they won't fix it. Who do I get to replace the cable when it is alongside the public roadway?

Any Eir reps on here able to clarify any of this for me?

Yes it has been confirmed by an Eir rep, my husband with no telecoms experience can carry out the work

image_zps0vdwexzj.jpg

It sounds like someone has logged it as an internal wiring fault.

Is it an overhead line?

Also there's an election coming up, just saying ...
    Might be no harm in mentioning it to your candidates and see if anyone can figure it out ...

Is it an overhead line ?

No it's an underground cable. I sent them all the photos that I have posted on this thread, and I double checked to confirm that they saw the photos, and yes they saw the photos and we are still supposed to do a DIY job. The infuriating thing about this is I wasn't even looking for this to be done for free, I just wanted it fixed. Most companies would at least try to be helpful but not Eir.

Anyway I'm off to google what I need to buy to fix this ourselves. Not sure where to start

image_zpsycrqvq5v.jpg

Is it an overhead line?

Also there's an election coming up, just saying ...
    Might be no harm in mentioning it to your candidates and see if anyone can figure it out ...
    Hi horsefarm

I have discussed this with Tracey and looked in to the notes left by engineers. Upon inspection, the eir engineer have reported damage to the cable on private property and in this event the owner of the private property is at the responsibility to arrange the repairs.

I'm afraid we cannot offer an alternative position on this.

Al

Hi horsefarm

I have discussed this with Tracey and looked in to the notes left by engineers. Upon inspection, the eir engineer have reported damage to the cable on private property and in this event the owner of the private property is at the responsibility to arrange the repairs.

I'm afraid we cannot offer an alternative position on this.

Al

Would it not be a little more helpful to give me a recommendation and phone number of somebody who could fix it for me? Like most normal companies that want to help their customers?

Hi horsefarm

In the interest in fairness we will be unable to recommend a company or contractor over another. I understand your feelings on this but I'm afraid we can't do more.

Al

Hi horsefarm

In the interest in fairness we will be unable to recommend a company or contractor over another. I understand your feelings on this but I'm afraid we can't do more.

Al
    In the interest of fairness to whom?? In the interest of fairness to a customer of 12 years, the acceptable response would be "sorry we are unable to fix your fault, but here is a list of contractors that would be happy to help". Clearly zero regard for your customers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭charlietheminxx

That is the most appalling customer service I've seen in a long time.

• Advertisement

Hi horsefarm

Al

ComReg have advised me to lodge a formal complaint about this matter, so I think you will find that Eir have acted inappropriately

Hi Aoife,

I fully understand your views on this however we can assure you that what our networks team have advised, what we have advised via Facebook and what I had advised here is fully compliant with industry regulations approved by comreg.

The eir engineers have reported damage to the cable on private property and in this event the owner of the private property is at the responsibility to arrange the repairs.

You are welcome submit a complaint and comreg are welcome to these details.

Thanks

Al

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

Hi horsefarm,
    I understand your frustration. If you will be paying a contractor to fix the line, can I suggest you just order a second line from Eir?

Presumably Eir will need to run a new line to your property. Problem solved?

There's normally an install fee for a new line from Eir, but they often have special offers that includes line activation/install.
    Just a thought. Best of luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

Hi horsefarm, did you get your issue resolved?

Advertisement