Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are there ang benefits to being a licencee?

Options
  • 27-01-2016 9:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭

Just out of curiosity, is there any benefit to being a licensee rather than a tennent?

I was recently really badly treated while renting a room in an owner occupied house, I got thrown out with little notice during extremely trying personal circumstances, only to find she had moved her boyfriend in the next day. That didn't work out and the room is now back up online for €100 per month more than I was paying.

I decided I was never living in that arrangement again as I was uncomfortable there from day one, and was never happy with the lack of boundaries she had about the room I was renting, so am now paying a bit extra to live on my own, a bit further out the country.

My question is who benefits from this type of arrangement? As far as I can see renting a room in an owner occupied house just means you have no security, no privacy and no rights, but am I missing something? I know she never had issues renting the room (initially, she didn't keep the last few long!) So it seems people are willing to live without the protection provided by the prtb for very small reductions in rent...

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭4ensic15

It all depends on the owner. In reality the PRTB offers relatively little protection as ultimately the owner can get you out if they want. In owner occupied there is often more comfort and a better standard of maintenance. Like any house sharing it is the housemates who make the difference between a good experience and misery.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

4ensic15 wrote: »
    Like any house sharing it is the housemates who make the difference between a good experience and misery.
    The balance is everything. Too house proud, and you won't be able to do anything that may damage their property, to lax, and should something break it doesn't get fixed.

A good balance means that stuff gets fixed, and it's relaxed so you enjoy being there.

Mostly, the benefits is a lower rent, coupled with that the appliances would be in working order.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

A tenant has more rights to the dwelling. If you rent a room in your landlord's home, you are not covered by landlord and tenant legislation.

So if you get on well with the house owner, by all means go ahead and be licensee, but there are no (afaik) benefits being a licensee over a tenant.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭TG1

biko wrote: »
    A tenant has more rights to the dwelling. If you rent a room in your landlord's home, you are not covered by landlord and tenant legislation.

So if you get on well with the house owner, by all means go ahead and be licensee, but there are no (afaik) benefits being a licensee over a tenant.

This is the root of my major confusion, I got on well with mine, but she decided to move her boyfriend in, saw an opportunity because I wasn't going to be able to live there for a month (I was still paying rent though!) And told me it wasn't personal but she couldn't afford the bills (which she would be paying herself anyway as they would really be smaller with me not there) and asked me to move out by the end of the week.

If I was a tenant, that situation would not have arisen, I would have been within the terms of my lease so there wouldn't have been an issue, and even if there was I would be entitled to 28 days notice.

In hindsight, €50 per month saved is madness considering the lack of security. I was unaware of the lack of rights until that situation happened, and it just seems mad to me that people voluntarily put themselves at the mercy of a stranger so regularly!

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭thisistough

I lived in an owner occupied house before and I would never ever do it again no matter how much I'd be saving! They had parties every night of the week and there would randomly be kids sleeping in the hallway outside my bedroom door. They'd come into my room whenever they felt like it, it's awful. You're literally a guest and have no say over anything! I don't think it's ever worth it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

IT may be cheaper and more private .my landlord would go out a lot,
    would spend 3 days a week with his girlfriend.
    So i was alone in the house a lot ,i could watch tv in the front room ,
    or in my own room .
    but its important to get along with the landlord .
    i think more older people would rent a room if they knew it was tax free up to 10k plus .
    There s lots of older people living alone in a large house .
    Every case is different .
    it may not be a good idea to live in a house with landlords family .
    A Licensee does not have to sign a lease for 1 year or more .

• Registered Users Posts: 24,249 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

The main advantage to it is the lack of a lease if you need flexibility etc. So it could suit someone who was waiting to close on, or finish the building of, another property.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,843 ✭✭✭SarahMollie

I did it once before (about 7 years ago now) and it was fine. Two friends had bought the house between them and were renting out the spare room.
    We all got on great and would even occasionally go out for a drink together so it was good in that way, but like a previous poster said, its a bit like a house share so you need to be able to co-exist at least, being friends would be helpful. Only in this case the its not an equal scenario should something go wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

I've been the owner-occupier renting out rooms in this situation. And it must have worked ok because we're still friends, and 2/3 of the others only moved out when they changed jobs and cities at the same time.

IMHO the benefit of being a licensee is flexibilty and lack of responsibilities. Yes, you can be kicked out at short notice. But on the other hand you can also leave after giving only "reasonable" notice - and reasonable is not defined. Often your deposit is lower. Maintenance is better done, and you usually don't have to help (eg being at home to let the plumber in).

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭Kai123

I rent a room and live with my landlord and its a bit of a nightmare but the flexibility is great. I can save money fast and I only need to cope for a couple of months.

I really envy people who find a great landlord though. I think If I found the right landlord to rent a room from, I'd be happy to live like that for a long time, but who has the will to hop around room-shares to do that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭Aye Bosun

It really depends on the landlord, as does house sharing depends on the other housemates. The advantages of Rent a room are, flexibility, cheap rent, well kept house, never waiting on anything to be fixed, everything handed to you on a plate ie. you don't have to take any bills in your name, you don't sign into any supplier contracts or a lease, you can leave at moments notice.
    I've been a rent a room landlord for a number of years now and never had a problem with housemates. Nearly all have stayed over a year and I'm still friends and in contact with all of them. It really depends on the landlord you see..I spend the time choosing the right housemate to fit the house, I've also lived in house shares all my adult life.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭TG1

Aye Bosun wrote: »
    It really depends on the landlord, as does house sharing depends on the other housemates.

I suppose from my experience you know 99% of the time the housemates in a shared house aren't going to walk into your room while you're not there, they're not going to be able to just move an other half in without consultation and you have an equal standing if you don't like something that is happening (ie one person always leaves washing in the machine or one person is taking all the shelves in the freezer). With an owner you don't have that reassurance because it is their house .

Maybe I just had an awful landlord though!!

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭Aye Bosun

TG1 wrote: »
    I suppose from my experience you know 99% of the time the housemates in a shared house aren't going to walk into your room while you're not there, they're not going to be able to just move an other half in without consultation and you have an equal standing if you don't like something that is happening (ie one person always leaves washing in the machine or one person is taking all the shelves in the freezer). With an owner you don't have that reassurance because it is their house .

Maybe I just had an awful landlord though!!

As I said it really depends on the landlord or the housemates in a house share. I've lived in a a lot house shares over the years. I've had house mates walk into my room in the middle of night, use my food from the fridge, do a runner on rent and bills, leaving the others responsible for their debts. Parties all the time, ransomers sleeping in the sitting room, kitchen filty all the time..jaysis the list can go on for ever.
    All I'm saying is living with anyone is tough and requires compromise and tolerance. There are advantages and disadvantages to both situations. It's up to the individual to weight up these pro's and con's and make a informed decision from there.

Advertisement