Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Goggles

Options
  • 27-01-2016 10:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭

Hi guys - looking for some advice. Need a new pair of goggles for this year, plan on doing some OW races. What are the best to buy - currently have Zoggs, but not too happy with them - became very leaky, lost anti fog quite quickly.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

put googles on head and they should stick a few secs without the elastic around your head done so go to a shop or try a few in the pool from other people.
    it wont help you to ask for recommondations re fit .
    In my case i dodnt care much what shoes i wear as pretty much everything seems to fit me . but with googles (and tt bikes) its very hard for me to find a pair that fits and finally i started to race without them.

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭MD1983

Goggles are a very individual thing. i have gone through a good number of zoggs goggles and found them only ok. i have moved on to a pair of Finis Surge which i find superior to the zoggs in terms of leaks and also comfort. no matter what goggles i get i find after about 9 months to a year that i need a new pair.

somebody else will come on here and swear by a pair of swedish goggles and others swim o/water without goggles. as i said its a very individual thing

• Registered Users Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭joey100

Definitely an individual thing, but a good basic test is what peter said, push them onto your eyes in the shop and see if they hold. I use Finis Energy goggles, around 12 euro, cheap and cheerful and do the job. I've had the same pair for around 3 years now, buy a new pair every now and again but have lost 2 of them so still on my original pair, and even though they are scratched I've had no problems with fogging. I found I didn't like the bigger lens goggles, I did have some problems with them fogging but find the finis the best for me.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

I use arena googles - ~€7 a pair, they last forever without needing to be replaced and I buy a couple of pairs at a time if I need them (from wiggle) haven't bought googles in ages.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

No doubt an individual thing (is there an echo in here?), but I am loving my Roka X1 goggles. For OW and/or long, continuous swimming their comfort and field of vision is unmatched by any other goggle I've tried. The only issue I've had with Roka goggles is fogging - and I was told by one of their goggle fogging experts it has to do with the way they apply the anti-fog, that it's a trade off of optics, and they do not want to compromise the optical quality of their goggles, therefore fogging will occur sooner with their goggles. For my IM last year, I treated the X1 goggles with an anti-fog solution the night before the race and they were totally fine for my swim. As a side note, in my dealings with Roka, they have been fabulous to work with and want 100% customer satisfaction. I have only very good things to say about these peeps!

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

I have tried many, and there are lots of good ones out there. My biggest issue is having goggle eyes for the day after swimming, which I hate. The Rokas mentioned above are very good, I also like TYR special ops, but having had two sets, one was brilliant and lasted years, the other leaked consistently from the day I got them. I have never owned Zoggs predators, but have seen so many broken pairs abandoned on pool decks that I know they are one to avoid. They snap at the nose.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Oryx wrote: »
    I have never owned Zoggs predators, but have seen so many broken pairs abandoned on pool decks that I know they are one to avoid. They snap at the nose.

See that too. Although swimming with Predators regularly and watching how people put them on it's no wonder they get broken. Most people fitting goggles don't release the strap and stretch the goggles over their heads already cinched tight - SNAP!!

In fairness to Zoggs, I've never had an issue with replacing a broken frame and once people have experienced a break once they learn not to put them on and off wrong.

I am surprised though that a certain Mr T hasn't rocked in with his swedish goggles :D

I second the Special Ops and got a special pair for AR racing ;)

lgspscam-310_1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,990 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

I've broken several predators at the bridge but I still use them as find them comfortable and a nice size lens. Keep one for pool (blue/clear) and one pair for open water (polarized/tinted). Always keep a s[are in the boot just in case too. Generally last about a year or so which isn't bad.

Any tips on not breaking the nose without sidetracking the thread.

I also had a pair of speedo biofuse that I loved and eventually started fogging up after about 2 years of mixed pool and open water.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

http://www.swimmer.com.au/wearing_your_goggles.php

step three in above article how to put on googles proper ( not that i would do it but you will not break your gogles at the bridge

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭dave04

Have chopped and changed myself over the years , presently using a pair of zoggs air ultima had them over 3 years they just fit well , shudder to think how many pairs have gone through !! a small amount of soap/foam stuff rubbed onto the lenses then rinsed stops any fogging issues.

• Advertisement

Any tips on not breaking the nose without sidetracking the thread.
    sconhome wrote: »
    Most people fitting goggles don't release the strap and stretch the goggles over their heads already cinched tight - SNAP!!
    peter kern wrote: »
    http://www.swimmer.com.au/wearing_your_goggles.php

step three in above article how to put on googles proper ( not that i would do it but you will not break your gogles at the bridge

Problem is people still won't release the strap & end up over stretching the system.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Are you saying you should loosen the strap prior to putting the goggles on, then tighten it down every time??

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

I've been putting goggles on wrong all these years

Dory Dory wrote: »
    Are you saying you should loosen the strap prior to putting the goggles on, then tighten it down every time??

Where there is a ratchet system it takes a split second to release tension and take goggles off and a split second to re-tighten when putting them on.

Zoggs strap is not very elastic, more stiff plastic so forcing the strap will cause a weak point to break. Other goggles with rubber straps can be stretched but the rubber degrades and snaps over time in the pool too.

6 of 1 and half dozen of the other ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,990 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

I've kept the straps off my last two pairs of zigs hoping that's what goes on the next pair but so far always the bridge, usually with some notice as its started cracking before fully letting go

Advertisement