Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

insulated slabs

• 27-01-2016 10:32am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭

hi all
    for insulated slabs inside the house on a new build, how much is enough?
    I know there is 52.5, and 70mm. but what are the insulation values of these, when using a 150mm cavity?

my options:

150mm cavity and 52.5 slab.

increase the cavity to 200mm and use a 52.5.

200mm cavity and 70mm slab?

fyi:
    north side of the house will be triple glazed and south will be double. 100mm under floor insulated slab.

I'm not aiming for air tightness, and the heat system will be air to heat.
    thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,729 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

hi all
    I know there is 52.5, and 70mm. but what are the insulation values of these, when using a 150mm cavity?

my options:

fyi:
    north side of the house will be triple glazed and south will be double. 100mm under floor insulated slab.

thanks.

Nobody can answer that without the DEAP / BER details. 82mm might be sufficient on one house but the next could need 100mm depending on layout, volume etc

What does your preliminary BER assessment stipulate?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,118 ✭✭✭893bet

What is the point of all the insulation if you are not doing Airtightness?

Why have loads of insulation and then leave a window open. Like wearing a nice wool cardigan but leaving the zip of it open so the cold gets in and your heat gets out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,118 ✭✭✭893bet

What is the point of all the insulation if you are not doing Airtightness?

Why have loads of insulation and then leave a window open. Like wearing a nice wool cardigan but leaving the zip of it open so the cold gets in and your heat gets out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭have2flushtwice

I don't want an airtight house - I want a warm house. Is there a need to go to the added expense of air tight certification?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,141 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

hi all

my options:

fyi:

thanks.
    1. Keep all insulation in the one location - ie in the cavity
    2. Go with good windows on all sides, double on south is nonsense
    3. 150 PIR min under floor
    4. Educate your self as regards air-tightness

Welcome to the c&p forum

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭MicktheMan

I don't want an airtight house - I want a warm house.

Classic!

All very helpful I see.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 167 ✭✭lownhard

I don't want an airtight house - I want a warm house. Is there a need to go to the added expense of air tight certification?

An airtight house is a warm house! Draughts and gaps in the airtightness layer are what make a house feel cold and cause heat loss in a house.

If you want a warm house you need to strike a cost effective balance between airtightness and insulation. Probably 150mm PIR in the floor, 200mm fully pumped cavity and 400-600mm of high performance wool or cellulose in the roof, couple with clever airtightness strategy designed by a suitably qualified professional.

Why spend thousands on high levels insulation that will be rendered ineffectual by cold draughts coming into the house?

Arguably airtightness is the most important contributor to a warm house.

You are at the beginning of your learning. Study the concept of a passiv haus / passive house and apply the principles as far as the budget will allow, and you wont go too far wrong.

Start here and watch all the videos about the denby dale house that are in the series.

Thank you lownhard
    lownhard wrote: »
    An airtight house is a warm house! Draughts and gaps in the airtightness layer are what make a house feel cold and cause heat loss in a house.

If you want a warm house you need to strike a cost effective balance between airtightness and insulation. Probably 150mm PIR in the floor, 200mm fully pumped cavity and 400-600mm of high performance wool or cellulose in the roof, couple with clever airtightness strategy designed by a suitably qualified professional.

Why spend thousands on high levels insulation that will be rendered ineffectual by cold draughts coming into the house?

Arguably airtightness is the most important contributor to a warm house.

You are at the beginning of your learning. Study the concept of a passiv haus / passive house and apply the principles as far as the budget will allow, and you wont go too far wrong.

Start here and watch all the videos about the denby dale house that are in the series.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 702 ✭✭✭JonathonS

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,739 ✭✭✭hexosan

I don't want an airtight house - I want a warm house.

:eek::eek::eek: priceless

Advertisement