Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LycaMobile - Any Good?

Options
  • 27-01-2016 10:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 47

So it seems Virgin Media will be raising their prices, which may be a good time to jump ship.

I'm thinking of going for LycaMobile, as they have everything I need (calls and 6GB data) for 15 euro. Not sure what the normal price is though (anyone know?).

Has anyone had experiences with LycaMobile? Not too interested in international calls, just want some decent 3G data and calls.

Will probably jump ship to Vodafone/EIR/Sky for the internet as well, as I can get (slower speeds) for 40 euro a month, rather than 55 that virgin will be.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭pjq

I've been with Lyca for 2 years , the cost is consistently low and reception is fine , topups get you 20% more credit (ie. €10- gets €12) plus sixty free minutes for every €10 top up . Customer service is fast and helpful (usually*). I use it with 3 work colleagues for free calls.
    But , * Roaming is dodgy , I have posted about this elsewhere
    Call History , explodes when you choose a data package to 150 pages a month.
    Landline calls outside of package went from 3c to 9c last Summer , without any sms, yet in your first week of service they will pester you with sms's , ok thereafter.
    TopUp is fiddely online and they won't remember your card details unless you do automatic top up, but remember that an automatic top up on the 28th gets you 60 free minutes to be used by month's end!
    Lyca are economical, if you plan your top-ups to use up minutes within the month and then switch to a package, Lyca is very economical.
    Hope this helps
    pjq

• Registered Users Posts: 47 twiga

pjq wrote: »
    I've been with Lyca for 2 years , the cost is consistently low and reception is fine , topups get you 20% more credit (ie. €10- gets €12) plus sixty free minutes for every €10 top up . Customer service is fast and helpful (usually*). I use it with 3 work colleagues for free calls.
    But , * Roaming is dodgy , I have posted about this elsewhere
    Call History , explodes when you choose a data package to 150 pages a month.
    Landline calls outside of package went from 3c to 9c last Summer , without any sms, yet in your first week of service they will pester you with sms's , ok thereafter.
    TopUp is fiddely online and they won't remember your card details unless you do automatic top up, but remember that an automatic top up on the 28th gets you 60 free minutes to be used by month's end!
    Lyca are economical, if you plan your top-ups to use up minutes within the month and then switch to a package, Lyca is very economical.
    Hope this helps
    pjq

Thanks for the response pjq! My main concern would be reliability and the data speeds (though I'm more than happy with 3G).

Currently have the Virgin Media Unlimited (free for 4 months, 25 after) but it's more than I need really.

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭pjq

Test it for €5- , apply for a new sim load €5 , with this €6 of credit you can buy 50mb by dialing *139*7011#30

HOME DATA XS1 € 1.99 50 MB *139*7011# 30 Days

The process of topping-up and finding details of the above add on plus the look of your bill as you use data will show you that you get a cheap web experience from Lyca, but maybe the coverage and data speed are good.

If you like lyca , refer yourself (existing number) and when you change over you get a €5- credit on new number and a €10 credit on the existing.

pjq

Advertisement