Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Selection CAO courses! Please help!

Options
  • 27-01-2016 11:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭

Hi everyone,

I was looking up CAO points for courses and I noticed that next to some points, there was a small '*' saying that not all people who had these points got an offer. I'm guessing that's random selection?

I was wondering how exactly it works, say a course is 550 points random selection and I have 560, am I guaranteed a place?

Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,164 ✭✭✭Konata

The random selection only occurs on the number of points indicated - if you have more than that then you got a place on the course. So usually, in say, a course with 5 places that 6 people applied for with points 600, 600, 590, 580, 570 and 560, the 'points' for that course would be 570 since that was the amount the last person accepted had. But with random selection, it means the applicants had points more something like 600, 600, 590, 580, 570 and 570. In this case the last two applicants have the same points but there is only one place left so one of them is randomly selected and the points are recorded as 570*.

Advertisement