Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Due September 2016

Options
123457»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Wotzit

Thanks Phoenix - at least there's a possible end to this, she did mention that when he was back to his birth weight I could soften the schedule a bit (he has to gain 200grams - she's back on tues to weigh him - oh the pressure!!) .... I don't mind during the day but waking every 2 hours at night - aaaahhhhhh especially when he would easily sleep a 3 to 4 hour stretch. We thought we were on the pigs back in the first night!!!

I'll read that thread from front to back - oh how I wish I'd done some research when I was on my maternity leave initially (I had 1 week before I was induced) ... Instead of overdosing on Facebook & the daily mail showbiz site!!!!

Congrats valeyard - isn't it to tough? You're recovering from birth, have a newborn (& a million visitors!!) & now you have to do this every 2 hours. By the time I've woken Oliver, changed him, fed him it's 45mins into the 2 hours & I've to start the whole process off again in another hour?????? breastfeeding is tricky!

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Manitoban

Congratulations everyone on their arrivals, I had an emergency section 18 days ago at 38 weeks. Had a little girl and we are all just besotted with her. Two older kids has taken so well to her thankfully and she is such a good baby too. I unfortunately have developed an infection, not entirely sure I don't have two infections but on antibiotics now so hoping it clears quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,452 ✭✭✭scarepanda

Wotzit wrote:
    So .... now we're home & all is good but I'd love to hear anyone's advice on breast feeding... the public health nurse told me to feed him every 2 hours (day & night) ... Luckily my milk appears to be plentiful but my problem is I've to wake a sleeping baby and it's breaking my heart every time :-( he sleeps so peacefully & then I have to strip him, tickle, just generally cajole him to wake up & feeeeeeeeed. Anyone having similar problems??

Hi! My little girl is 7 weeks old. She lost almost the full 10%allowed weight loss in two days, my supply was slow coming in and a few other things were going on as well, so getting started with bf was difficult say the least.
    The lactation consultant was adamant that I feed her every 3 hours and to wake her if I had to. She was sleeping 4/4.5 hrs at the time and honestly I found that it was far easier on everyone to let her sleep for whatever length she needed and feed her when she woke naturally. If I woke her at 3 hours she'd be cranky and fussy and it'd take longer to feed and change her than if I let her sleep.
    The PHNs aren't much better (although I'm lucky that my own one is fairly relaxed), and you'll find that each and everyone you speak to will give you different advice. Different feed schedules, different advice on how long to let bubs sleep for etc etc etc. The best advice I got was from a midwife in the hospital and that was to do what felt best for bubs and me.
    Once I relaxed and fed bubs on demand everything started to sort itself out. My supply started to come in, bubs started to put on weight, she's happy and alert with plenty of wet and dirty nappies.
    In my limited experience bf is not easy but if you can get it going it's definately worth it.

Tks for the reply scarepanda .... It's the conflicting advice that bugs me! The PHN came back today & is very happy, he's only 10 grams from his birth weight of 8Ib 2oz (so we're not talking about a small or under weight baby here!). But still, she tells me - keep up the feeding every 2 hrs during the day & go to every 3 hrs at night. I really just feel like ignoring her advice & letting him sleep at night.

• Advertisement
Advertisement