Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Intimidating dog

• 27-01-2016 2:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭

In order to buy groceries from my nearest shops, I walk through a housing estate 2 or 3 times a week. Often at the bottom of the estate there is a fairly large dog that follows me for ~30 meters, barking aggressively, snarling, growling and literally snapping at my heels. I don't think I need to outline just how intimidating this is. I have never interacted with the dog in any way. It seems to think I'm intruding on its territory, because once I get a certain distance away, it just stops suddenly.

I have not considered approaching the house of the owners for fear of being attacked by the dog. What is the appropriate action to take from here? I would like to report the owners.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Report it to the local dog warden.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

andreac wrote: »
    Report it to the local dog warden.
    ^this.

In the mean time have you considered carrying a fistful of treats that you could scatter? It could distract the dog and maybe make it a bit friendlier.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭sillysmiles

Hmmmm..... I walk past a German Shepherd on our route daily. He considers the road part of his territory. I wouldn't give him treats. As I've no idea how he would react.

OP if the owners are approachable then I'd start with talking to them, if not then I'd get the warden to do the talking.

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭North of 32

I reported the issue to the dog warden who said he would speak to the owner. However, the problem persists. I have also seen the dog harassing other people. I'm considering getting my friends and family to call the dog warden so that it simply can't go ignored.

What absolutely enrages me about this is the obnoxiousness of the owners, who really don't even deserve to have the dog.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,054 ✭✭✭✭tk123

I reported the issue to the dog warden who said he would speak to the owner. However, the problem persists. I have also seen the dog harassing other people. I'm considering getting my friends and family to call the dog warden so that it simply can't go ignored.

What absolutely enrages me about this is the obnoxiousness of the owners, who really don't even deserve to have the dog.

We had an issue locally with an aggressive dog attacking dogs in the park every day. The warden was no help because the guy was in the park after their hours so not their problem! Somebody reported it to the community garda who took it very seriously asking to be emailed every time the guy was in the park etc - he actually wanted to file a destruction order but the people who were complaining asked him not to take it that far. Last I heard there was a hearing and the guy isn't allowed to set foot in the park with the dog anymore.

• Advertisement
Advertisement