Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Election 2016: Meath

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 684 ✭✭✭haro124

We have a late entrant! Here's the link to The Christian and Jobs Action Party, good luck to Oldcastle resident John Malone, Meath West election candidate.

http://christianandjobsactionparty.com/about/

Whether you agree with him or not, at least he's offering something different.....

“The duty of an opposition is to oppose.” Oppose everything, the type of politics I don't want ....Well that and nearly everything else on his website

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭chewed

We have a late entrant! Here's the link to The Christian and Jobs Action Party, good luck to Oldcastle resident John Malone, Meath West election candidate.

http://christianandjobsactionparty.com/about/

Whether you agree with him or not, at least he's offering something different.....

"something different"? Really?

We have same sex marriage in this country, which was voted in by a democratic referendum by all the people....get over it John and move on!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭Coat22

So far only some random bloke at 9pm calling to the door looking for a vote for Regina Doherty.

Won't see the shinners on my road but I'd love to have them call and explain again to me why I should pay everyone else's taxes for them.

Gave Byrne may 1st vote last time in a vain effort to get him in ahead of Halligan and Labour but the irony is this time I might vote for Halligan instead of Byrne in an effort to get this government re-elected. Stupid really as I don't really like either or their policies.

Has the Renua "candidate" pulled out of the race in Meath East? Apart from having a great time in college she doesn't appear to have much else to offer. Like when the PDs were around, Meath seems to be an after thought for these parties.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Fiskar

Coat22 wrote: »
    So far only some random bloke at 9pm calling to the door looking for a vote for Regina Doherty.

Won't see the shinners on my road but I'd love to have them call and explain again to me why I should pay everyone else's taxes for them.

Gave Byrne may 1st vote last time in a vain effort to get him in ahead of Halligan and Labour but the irony is this time I might vote for Halligan instead of Byrne in an effort to get this government re-elected. Stupid really as I don't really like either or their policies.

Has the Renua "candidate" pulled out of the race in Meath East? Apart from having a great time in college she doesn't appear to have much else to offer. Like when the PDs were around, Meath seems to be an after thought for these parties.
    Is it not Hannigan not Halligan? Would't want you searching the voting slip on the day!

not a sinner calling to the door. Waiting here to offer divine retribution to FG & Labour but they have gone into hiding.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Nobody knocked on the door yet, but did see 2 FF's on thursday morning, they drove up the driveway, so i got ready for the doorbell, but they turned the car around outside the house, drove down the drive and dropped 2 leaflets in the letterbox at the gate.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Had FF in for Thomas Byrne. "Can we count on your vote for Thomas?" "Eh, no."

They didn't even try to persuade me though it was a manky day out and I'm sure they'd had enough at that stage.

Had FG councillor here for English, he was acting the maggot, asked me what SVR was, and played dumb with my next view until I told him he was being blaissez, where upon he walked off saying I insulted him!
    FG will get no votes here, fail to see English anywhere around, he has had 2 terms in the Dail at this stage and I really do not see the English effect in this town.
    I have no doubt there will be a 2nd or 3 rd election this year. It has all the hallmarks.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

Fiskar wrote: »
    he was acting the maggot, asked me what SVR was

Forgive my ignorance, but what is "SVR"?

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Stroke Politics

Forgive my ignorance, but what is "SVR"?

Standard variable rate - the fluctuating mortgage interest rate that lenders charge for mortgages that are not fixed. Currently in Ireland, we pay 2% higher SVR than in Europe. The mortgage lenders are borrowing from the European Central Bank at rate of about 0.5% due to the ECB policy of quantitave easing. Unless you are a Maltese non-resident such as Denis O'Brien, this discounted rate has not been passed on to Irish mortgage holders, and seems to have been pocketed by the Irish lenders. But you won't hear that from Cllr J.H. now will you.....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭bladespin

Was soooo hoping Mr. Butler was going to knock on the door, I've been saving this baby for the past while:

Mystery of the TD, the festival, and unpaid bills to local bands. After all FG's promises to make Irish politics respectable again it's galling me they nominate the likes of him.

• Advertisement

bladespin wrote: »
    Was soooo hoping Mr. Butler was going to knock on the door, I've been saving this baby for the past while:

Mystery of the TD, the festival, and unpaid bills to local bands. After all FG's promises to make Irish politics respectable again it's galling me they nominate the likes of him.

We've a local councillor slating the government and water charges, saying how much this €3 per week means to some people while at the same time voting not to cut the LPT, clown :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭curioser

Only two knocks on door to date, Fine Gael for English, Sinn Fein for Toibin. Polite to both and didn't engage.

Saw the bread and butter in action this morning, Shane Cassells hot-footing from campaign HQ to be outside the front door of the church as a (very large) funeral came out. Now waiting to see if he will repeat the stunt of the 2014 locals, came in to 10 a.m. Mass at 10.01 with Mrs and youngest child (i.e. conspicuous entrance) on Wednesday of election week, then on election morning doing the same thing with the three kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭Vego

curioser wrote: »
    Only two knocks on door to date, Fine Gael for English, Sinn Fein for Toibin. Polite to both and didn't engage.

Saw the bread and butter in action this morning, Shane Cassells hot-footing from campaign HQ to be outside the front door of the church as a (very large) funeral came out. Now waiting to see if he will repeat the stunt of the 2014 locals, came in to 10 a.m. Mass at 10.01 with Mrs and youngest child (i.e. conspicuous entrance) on Wednesday of election week, then on election morning doing the same thing with the three kids.

playing devils advocate maybe he knew the funeral .....or maybe not

Vego wrote: »
    playing devils advocate maybe he knew the funeral .....or maybe not

He probably did. She was a lovely woman, and very well known in Navan, to be fair he probably knew her and knows her family...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭NufcNavan

It's a shame there's no Social Democrats candidate in Meath West. The choice outside of the establishment parties/SF is appalling.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭bladespin

NufcNavan wrote:
    It's a shame there's no Social Democrats candidate in Meath West. The choice outside of the establishment parties/SF is appalling.

Second that.

We've Aisling O'Neill but I know nothing about her and have heard nothing from her

Standard variable rate - the fluctuating mortgage interest rate that lenders charge for mortgages that are not fixed. Currently in Ireland, we pay 2% higher SVR than in Europe. The mortgage lenders are borrowing from the European Central Bank at rate of about 0.5% due to the ECB policy of quantitave easing. Unless you are a Maltese non-resident such as Denis O'Brien, this discounted rate has not been passed on to Irish mortgage holders, and seems to have been pocketed by the Irish lenders. But you won't hear that from Cllr J.H. now will you.....

Slight correction required Stroke Politics, ECB rate actually 0.05% so on an SVR of 4 % one is paying 80 times more than the current ECB rate.

Fiskar wrote: »
    Slight correction required Stroke Politics, ECB rate actually 0.05% so on an SVR of 4 % one is paying 80 times more than the current ECB rate.

0.05%? Ouch!!

I'm on 4.3% and can't bet a mortgage elsewhere.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Maysa07

In meath east myself. Darren O’Rourke SF and maybe Joe Bonner ind. ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭Arrow in the Knee

Where is TD Ray Butler hiding?

Seems like his re-election campaign is based on staying silent and invisible, much like the previous 5 years as TD.

He hasn't been on the local radio yet.

Where is TD Ray Butler hiding?

Seems like his re-election campaign is based on staying silent and invisible, much like the previous 5 years as TD.

He hasn't been on the local radio yet.

He called to my house on Friday night at 8.30, just as I cracked open a beer, ready to settle in. He immediately starts by asking me is there any development in my area and starts to reel off the numbers of houses being built here and there around Trim. I wasn't sure if he was insinuating this was positive or negative!!! He then goes on about how he's local and says it hasn't been easy for him and the party with the water charges and austerity (more or less saying "I haven't a hope of being elected, but I'm local"!). I told him I wouldn't be voting FG, mainly because of Austerity and Water charges, as well as the fact I still don't have broadband (years after being promised by D English that we'd have it by 2014). I actually felt sorry for him as he just looked so defeated, but not enough for me vote for him!

To answer your question, I don't think FG want him on the radio or speaking at any public events, as he's not very media savvy. He's just not TD material and is more suited to being lord mayor or councillor.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Dubh Geannain

Two canvassers to the door last night. Neither the actual candidate.

1st caller - Trevor Golden - Independent canvasser
    Being new to the area I was interested to find out he was local to Trim himself. An IT professional by trade suggests he should have some logical brain cells firing in there somewhere. I agree on some of his policies but not all, but then unless I run myself I can't have it all. Starting in the town council and moving onto the county, as an independent without a party machine backing him means he might be doing something right. I'll give him some good consideration.

2nd caller - Alan Lawes - Direct Democracy canvasser
    Me: "What party is this?"
    Canvasser: Direct Democracy
    Me: Oh, yea. Ben Gilroy's party
    Canvasser: So you know us. Can we count on you for a vote?
    Me: All I can say is he won't be bottom of my polling card but he won't be top either.
    Canvasser: Thanks very much.

Background on Ben Gilroy. Freeman wishy washy movement. A typical social justice type who only becomes involved actively when they have had their own wranglings with the system themselves. Has been before Trim court faced with repossession he becomes a defender of all those who overstretched (perhaps naively) and those who got downright greedy.

He's just lucky he's not running for Fianna Fail, who have the privilege of being bottom of my polling card for the foreseeable decades.
    The receiver, Tom Kavanagh, wishes to sell the house, which is valued at €7m, to meet part of a €71.5m debt owed by the O'Donnells for various unpaid property loans.

Mr O'Donnell, along with his son Blake and spokesperson Ben Gilroy, arrived at the offices of Deloitte on Earlsfort Terrace in Dublin around midday yesterday but left shortly afterwards. They had only been in the building for three minutes.
    http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/courts/solicitor-odonnell-fails-in-bid-to-meet-with-gorse-hill-receiver-31162035.html

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Yes, Trevor's canvassers and DDI canvassers doing the rounds in Trim yesterday - we had both calling. Trevor will be getting a high preference from me, even though I don't typically vote independent.

DDI - where to start, their leaflet says they will abolish water charges, abolish property tax, abolish USC, "10% min debt relief on all mortgages" (not sure what that is all about), 30% debt relief of mortgages payments for struggling families, increase guards and spend lots more on childcare. I fail to see how this could all be paid for, just doesn't make sense. Fairyland stuff.

Only Butler, Golden and DDI callers so far. Pretty poor. Normally get FF and SF also, both eerily quiet this time around.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,949 ✭✭✭dixiefly

We had two canvassers a couple of weeks ago for Cassells and that's it. No sign of our "local TD" Ray Butler. Now I am not at home a lot of the time but we would probably know if he had called.

Even though I am not at all happy with some of the measures introduced my inclination is still to vote for Labour / Fine Gael as longer term stability for my kids getting jobs etc is of most importance to me. There's the dilemma - I think I voted Butler last time but he has been pretty invisible, he didnt even go to the People's debate in knightsbrook with V Browne and seems to be sitting on the fence and not being prepared to defend the policies of his party.

My other option is to give a vote to Trevor Golden and then Labour / FG - nothing at all to inspire a voter around this area to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,949 ✭✭✭dixiefly

chewed wrote: »
    He called to my house on Friday night at 8.30, just as I cracked open a beer, ready to settle in. He immediately starts by asking me is there any development in my area and starts to reel off the numbers of houses being built here and there around Trim. I wasn't sure if he was insinuating this was positive or negative!!! He then goes on about how he's local and says it hasn't been easy for him and the party with the water charges and austerity (more or less saying "I haven't a hope of being elected, but I'm local"!). I told him I wouldn't be voting FG, mainly because of Austerity and Water charges, as well as the fact I still don't have broadband (years after being promised by D English that we'd have it by 2014). I actually felt sorry for him as he just looked so defeated, but not enough for me vote for him!

To answer your question, I don't think FG want him on the radio or speaking at any public events, as he's not very media savvy. He's just not TD material and is more suited to being lord mayor or councillor.

I don't think that's the case. He is a candidate in the election and they would be shooting themselves in the foot by trying to restrict him. He is perfectly entitled to put himself forward on local media but it seems as if he is choosing not to do so. I had a quick look through this weeks Chronicle and he has very little exposure in the election section which I am sure he could have managed without much effort.

I could be wrong but in my opinion he is either quite lazy or let the position of being a TD go over his head. He could have done with a bit of mentoring from an ex TD eg John Bruton.

I still haven't seen anyone apart from the FG lad looking for a Doherty vote. Expected plenty last weekend but not one.

Weird

dixiefly wrote: »
    I don't think that's the case. He is a candidate in the election and they would be shooting themselves in the foot by trying to restrict him. He is perfectly entitled to put himself forward on local media but it seems as if he is choosing not to do so. I had a quick look through this weeks Chronicle and he has very little exposure in the election section which I am sure he could have managed without much effort.

I could be wrong but in my opinion he is either quite lazy or let the position of being a TD go over his head. He could have done with a bit of mentoring from an ex TD eg John Bruton.

The only reason he got a seat in the last election was because of the anti FF sentiment at the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 770 ✭✭✭viztopia

Had Thomas Byre to my door last night. First and only person that has called. He will be getting my vote (not because he came ) but because in reality its between ff/fg and sf and in my opinion he is much better than any of the others

• Advertisement

viztopia wrote: »
    Had Thomas Byre to my door last night. First and only person that has called. He will be getting my vote (not because he came ) but because in reality its between ff/fg and sf and in my opinion he is much better than any of the others

ITs probably not though - the last seat is probably between him and Hannigan (Labour) although I have a sneaking suspicion Doherty (FG) might struggle to get in the top 2 that many assume

Advertisement