Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Election 2016: Meath

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

viztopia wrote: »
    Had Thomas Byre to my door last night. First and only person that has called. He will be getting my vote (not because he came ) but because in reality its between ff/fg and sf and in my opinion he is much better than any of the others

Why is he better? Genuine question

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭chewed

Better for your area or Better for the country?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 770 ✭✭✭viztopia

He has been working hard since the last election not just in the last couple of weeks. He has been holding clinics in our village which is a very rural area for the last 4 years. The nearest td to us inherited her seat from her father and in fairness to her I don't think she is cut out for it but she will probably get a seat at the same time
    Hearst her on lmfm a couple of times and she was just reading of a pretty recorded statement the whole time and couldn't think for herself.
    KERSPLAT! wrote: »
    Why is he better? Genuine question

He is part of a package which is better for our area and our country
    chewed wrote: »
    Better for your area or Better for the country?

Helen McEntee was elected, she didn't inherit anything.

Anyway, I'm still at a loss. I'm hearing some older folk saying they'll be voting FF. It's like a flipping merry go round, have they no memory!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Dubh Geannain

He is part of a package which is better for our area and our country

Compulsory reading before you put pen to paper please.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Economic_history_of_the_Republic_of_Ireland

Those who fail to learn from the mistakes of the past are destined to repeat them.

We've come a long way in our journey to a first world nation for sure. But I think people underestimate the extreme benefit Ireland had in joining the EEC. It would have happened under any party I feel albeit at different times perhaps. Emigration caused by our colonial past and a byproduct of FF policies also went a long way to us receiving a fair slice of the FDI that came from North America. Our location also helped as did the English speaking workforce. FF just rode the waves as they came. Opting for the surfboard and not the, less flashy but more pragmatic, dingy. Always ending in a wipeout.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,949 ✭✭✭dixiefly

Compulsory reading before you put pen to paper please.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Economic_history_of_the_Republic_of_Ireland

Those who fail to learn from the mistakes of the past are destined to repeat them.

We've come a long way in our journey to a first world nation for sure. But I think people underestimate the extreme benefit Ireland had in joining the EEC. It would have happened under any party I feel albeit at different times perhaps. Emigration caused by our colonial past and a byproduct of FF policies also went a long way to us receiving a fair slice of the FDI that came from North America. Our location also helped as did the English speaking workforce. FF just rode the waves as they came. Opting for the surfboard and not the, less flashy but more pragmatic, dingy. Always ending in a wipeout.

I agree. The mind really does boggle at how pro FF blinkered some people are. "Better for our area and the Country" - and many of us are still paying for the FF policies under Bertie's and Cowan's watch.

Remember that, in spite of overwhelming evidence that they had almost bankrupted the country, over 7,000 people in this constituency (Meath West ) gave FF their first preference in the last election. It begs one to think what would these guys have to do for some people not to vote for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Still no canvassers to my door, 1st time ever that we've had nobody call.

Too many keyboard warriors on here to try and have my say
    Let's let the people of meath vote and see what happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭chewed

Isn't that what Boards.ie is all about? Feel free to have your say.

According to Paddy Power Meath West looks to be a foregone conclusion
    http://www.paddypower.com/bet/politics/other-politics/irish-constituencies?ev_oc_grp_ids=2228259

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,943 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

chewed wrote: »
    Isn't that what Boards.ie is all about? Feel free to have your say.

According to Paddy Power Meath West looks to be a foregone conclusion
    http://www.paddypower.com/bet/politics/other-politics/irish-constituencies?ev_oc_grp_ids=2228259

Too true, as someone who doesn't mind the concept of water charges and is a leftie, that pretty much leaves me with just MacMenamin and McElhinney. I can't find anything resembling a manifesto on Trevor Golden's site nor when searching for him on IrishElectionLiterature.

I didn't attack you so there's no need to throw around jibes. I've more than a keyboard in my arsenal and have attended marches previously as well as contacted party representatives on different occasions so please don't simply cast aspersions.

I just can't comprehend your viewpoint that's all. Having seen your explanation it just doesn't wash with me. If that's good enough for you then that's your opinion. That's what makes a democracy. I respect that you've formed an opinion at least against your own metrics.

Say what you want. But don't expect it to go unchallenged.

PS: I hope you did read the link though ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

MacMenamin for me I think. Can't drag myself to vote FG or Labour this time and I'd probably vote SF for their social policy but we have the one conservative member running! Cassells was set to take the empty box for last preference as a FF but he'll get a number now with John Malone stealing his bottom place. Fair play John!

March for what exactly may I ask?

I didn't attack you so there's no need to throw around jibes. I've more than a keyboard in my arsenal and have attended marches previously as well as contacted party representatives on different occasions so please don't simply cast aspersions.

I just can't comprehend your viewpoint that's all. Having seen your explanation it just doesn't wash with me. If that's good enough for you then that's your opinion. That's what makes a democracy. I respect that you've formed an opinion at least against your own metrics.

Say what you want. But don't expect it to go unchallenged.

PS: I hope you did read the link though ;)

March for what exactly may I ask?

I attended several in my student days. I'd be a while finding links to those ones.

I attended this one -
    http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/50000-hit-streets-to-claim-back-the-country-26703613.html
    I stood amongst the crowd with my friend and got some confused looks as we both heckled David Begg when he took to the stage.

I also attended a couple of water protest marches. One in Dublin and one in Ratoath on the first National Day of protest.

My reasons may have differed from a majority on those marches but as I said everyone is not going to agree on what they want.

I await you retracting your "keyboard warrior" remark.

you will be waiting....
    in relation to people protesting it always amazes me about some peoples sense of entitlement. why should you get services for free? do you know that there are a lot of people in the country who are on private schemes and having been paying for many years? but hey, you wont see me on here bitching about these kind of things......

I await you retracting your "keyboard warrior" remark.[/QUOTE]

you will be waiting....
    in relation to people protesting it always amazes me about some peoples sense of entitlement. why should you get services for free? do you know that there are a lot of people in the country who are on private schemes and having been paying for many years? but hey, you wont see me on here bitching about these kind of things......

I await you retracting your "keyboard warrior" remark.

I guessed as much. :rolleyes:

It amazes me too but this is not a water charges thread so I suggest you take your gripes elsewhere.

Still waiting on that Fianna Fail apology too I might add. So I'm not surprised.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭Vego

I have my own well but I also see drinking water as a basic human right ....but anyhow

its not a great line up to be fair in this election ....can cassels perform on the big stage, will english get back in and what will he do ...hes already had a go and nothing but appearances on vinny b, Tobin could be party less if he votes against the party again (which could be a good thing), Dr seamus is a good man but the greens just seem to be too much of a push this election .......To be honest who would want to be a td ......

Vego wrote: »
    I have my own well but I also see drinking water as a basic human right ....but anyhow

its not a great line up to be fair in this election ....can cassels perform on the big stage, will english get back in and what will he do ...hes already had a go and nothing but appearances on vinny b, Tobin could be party less if he votes against the party again (which could be a good thing), Dr seamus is a good man but the greens just seem to be too much of a push this election .......To be honest who would want to be a td ......

Let this be the end of the water charges detour. I don't have a problem paying for water either myself. I said I attended the marches for differing reasons to a lot on those on the marches. Politics makes strange bedfellows. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭bladespin

How is this a free service??? Part of my income and motor tax already pays for it and I have no intention of paying for it twice. I also have a bigger issue with how easily this service could be privatised.

It's a major deciding issue for who I vote for tbh - or who not to be more accurate.

• Advertisement

bladespin wrote: »
    How is this a free service??? Part of my income and motor tax already pays for it and I have no intention of paying for it twice. I also have a bigger issue with how easily this service could be privatised.

It's a major deciding issue for who I vote for tbh - or who not to be more accurate.

I'm the same, though of the opposite opinion :D

I'm the same, though of the opposite opinion :D

:confused: TBH if a FG turned up promising to cut my road tax and income tax by the cost of the water bill the choice would be easy but as that's not going to happen and privatization of IW in it's current form almost certainly will happen then it's back to the drawing board lol.

To me, all those promising no water charges, tax cuts, thousands and thousands of social houses, etc etc. are making promises they can't keep to get elected. Now I understand that all parties tend to do this to some extent, I just find that these in particular are completely unrealistic. We're going to spend lots more money but also take in a lot less... how does that work!!??

Anyway, still undecided. A little disappointed that the candidate I was planning on voting for hasn't been around. Her office is in my town so maybe she assumes she has the immediate local vote nailed on

To me, all those promising no water charges, tax cuts, thousands and thousands of social houses, etc etc. are making promises they can't keep to get elected. Now I understand that all parties tend to do this to some extent, I just find that these in particular are completely unrealistic. We're going to spend lots more money but also take in a lot less... how does that work!!??
    TBH there are very few promising all of these together, I'd be wary of any that did. I'd be happy if IW being taken back under proper state control, at the moment even they're not sure if they're semi state (they're not) or a private company (they are) having spoken with their advisers lol.

I'm pretty sure the more looney lefties are looking for an increase in corporation tax and tax on high earners - 60k plus to cover - can't be arsed doing the maths tbh but they're pretty quiet on that bit.
    Anyway, still undecided. A little disappointed that the candidate I was planning on voting for hasn't been around. Her office is in my town so maybe she assumes she has the immediate local vote nailed on
    Same as that, very quiet on all accounts, had SF up last night, DDi were around too but the major ones seem to have forgotten our estate altogether.

Looks like Ben Gilroy has been making a big push around Dunshaughlin.

Saw him in the flesh there yesterday parked on double yellow lines outside the Garda station. He'd a jumbotron type display with a video of him bleating on about returning power to the people. Then a different van parked out the Dublin road today across from the church with his face emblazoned on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Stroke Politics

Still undecided, but I do know who I am not going to vote for.

I'm not voting for FF. The last time I gave a vote to FF was in 1997, I have regretted it ever since. Voting for FF is like píssing down your leg, the warmth of it is lovely for about 5 seconds that then you have to deal with the very messy aftermath.

I'm not supporting Peadar Tóibín due to his poistion the 8th amendment and the right of a woman to choose. I also feel he is in the wrong party; he himself is a good person, but there is still a whiff of semtex from those he associates with.

Things would have been an awful lot worse for public servants like me if FG were elected with their own majority the last time. They can't be trusted to govern in the best interests of everybody, and are the slightly-less corrupt version of FF.

My WhichCandidate profile matched best with Labour, but I would find it hard to give them a preference. They are not the Labour Party that I knew, and the tipping point for my previous support for LP came when I saw people with disabilities having to protest outside the Dáil for the retentionof their medical cards. How they could take the medical card from a person with Downs was unforgiveable, and they should have at least threatend to pull the plug, but they did nothing.

I can't see myself supporting Alan Lawes, he impressed my when he was with PBP< but he's switched to the Direct democracy movement, via the National Citzens Movement, and I can never support that type of politics.

The Greens have a lot of ground to make up on their part of the meltdown, they signed off on the bank guarantee as well. And I find the GP leader nauseating.

Have to have a hard think about things tonight. Another election looms in October., I think....

I can really empathise with you SP, given that the final seat is a fight between Cassells and Butler I'm debating whether to give Butler a preference just to keep FF out, even though I agree with Butler on pretty much nothing (even less than Cassells, according to smartvote.ie). I couldn't be bothered with any of the independents either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 684 ✭✭✭haro124

I can really empathise with you SP, given that the final seat is a fight between Cassells and Butler I'm debating whether to give Butler a preference just to keep FF out, even though I agree with Butler on pretty much nothing (even less than Cassells, according to smartvote.ie). I couldn't be bothered with any of the independents either.
    Meath is just old FF heartland unfortunately, I can't see him not getting a seat. Wouldn't give FF my final preference. First time voter, no stand out candidates in Meath West unfortunately

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭Donn Cuailnge

haro124 wrote: »
    Wouldn't give FF my final preference. First time voter, no stand out candidates in Meath West unfortunately

The best use of your ballot is to fill it. This time there is nine candidates. If you give a candidate your final preference in a filled ballot paper they can never get your vote. And you have in fact made it marginally harder for them to get elected.

• Advertisement

The best use of your ballot is to fill it. This time there is nine candidates. If you give a candidate your final preference in a filled ballot paper they can never get your vote. And you have in fact made it marginally harder for them to get elected.

Surely giving them no preference at all dents their chances more than a last place preference, no?

Advertisement