Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Election 2016: Meath

Options
1235»

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,414 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

It baffles me that some people actually would like FF in government ever again. Irish people evidently have goldfish memories.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

It baffles me that some people actually would like FF in government ever again. Irish people evidently have goldfish memories.

I'm honestly in shock.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭bladespin

It was always on the cards, tbh for most the choice is either FF or FG, if one fecks up then the other gains.

If they go in together and I belive they will if needs be regardless of any Pre election promises, we deserve everything we get from them which will be pain as the next financial melt down is expected soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Fiskar

There are people behind the party label, a lot of new faces in FF of late and while Labour under Spring and again under Gilmore/Burton were given mandates by the people that party will never see a vote from myself ever again. Once bitten, twice shy.

• Advertisement

Delighted to see Shatter is gone!

As Varadkar has just said "he made an enormous contribution to Irish politics". Personally I'd rephrase that to "he made an enormous contribution to his own down fall" with closures of Garda stations.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,949 ✭✭✭dixiefly

I agree 100% Hammer, also I posted here before that when FF got over 7,000 votes in Meath last election then anything can happen. Also, look at the vote the shinners got with a leader clueless on financial issues and a policy of getting rid of the special criminal court?

For the first time ever will say this but I now believe it.....a significant number of people in this county (and country ) are idiots!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,943 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Well, IIRC Michael Noonan did ask disgruntled FF supporters to "loan" their votes to FG in the last GE, I guess that's them returning to FF. :/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭NufcNavan

Fiskar wrote: »
    There are people behind the party label, a lot of new faces in FF of late and while Labour under Spring and again under Gilmore/Burton were given mandates by the people that party will never see a vote from myself ever again. Once bitten, twice shy.

New faces, Cassells is hardly a new face? :confused: He finally got in after 3 or 4 goes trying it feels.

Surely the same principle you've applied to voting for Labour applies for FF too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,949 ✭✭✭dixiefly

Well, Ray Butler deserves a kick up the ar$e big time. He did hardly any work (maybe he did but it wasnt visible), he didnt go to the debate in Knightsbrook last year and he seems to have done little or no canvassing except littering the place with posters. Yet he got over 4,400 votes:eek:

If he had got off his backside in the last year, tried to defend government policies when asked, got on to local media and did a decent canvass then he could be pushing hard and close for a seat.

• Advertisement

NufcNavan wrote: »
    New faces, Cassells is hardly a new face? :confused: He finally got in after 3 or 4 goes trying it feels.

Surely the same principle you've applied to voting for Labour applies for FF too.

Labour kept the old hands, Gilmore, Costello, Rabitte (sur isn't that what do in elections, lie), Burton, Howlin, . FF have some old guard but much new blood. What else party wise is there to vote for in the county, Sf had but the one candidate, Fg went with same old, no one actually came near the top 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭NufcNavan

Fiskar wrote: »
    Labour kept the old hands, Gilmore, Costello, Rabitte (sur isn't that what do in elections, lie), Burton, Howlin, . FF have some old guard but much new blood. What else party wise is there to vote for in the county, Sf had but the one candidate, Fg went with same old, no one actually came near the top 3.

Fair enough.

Still don't understand how anyone would 'want' a FF/FG coalition.

NufcNavan wrote: »
    Fair enough.

Still don't understand how anyone would 'want' a FF/FG coalition.

Don't think they want it either, its written in the cards unfortunately, at least there will be no freebie trips to the USA for Patricks day, I always hated that although it does raise the countries profile.

The way forward does not include SF, take them out of a Government equation and see what permutations come up. The Healy Rays have old FF ties, as do a few other independents but there is no question of FF going alone with FG and SF in opposition, the numbers are not there. FF Michael McGrath is a credible candidate to replace M Noonan (who has done his heavy lifting) and whom I felt FG had no plan B to replace in the event of ill health or retirement.

Interesting times ahead.

Advertisement