Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iPad Mini 2 or something cheaper

• 27-01-2016 3:03pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭

I'm getting my daughter a tablet for her birthday that will be mainly used for games, Netflix, etc. She uses my iPad and has lots of apps that she likes, im wondering if I should just go for a cheaper tablet like the Amazon fire or stick with Apple as I know there wont be any trouble with it.

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

You're probably going to get more pro-iPad views here on an Apple device forum. My son has a Fire and it seems to do the job perfectly well. Presumably you'll get the same apps for the Fire as the iPad, and it is considerably cheaper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,483 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

OP, I have an iPad Mini2 and a (Nexus 7 2013) Android tablet. If you want to save money then an Android tablet is definitely worth considering but you need to ask your daughter if there are any 'must have' apps without which she will hate you if you force her off the Apple platform and make sure that those apps are available for Android - look them up on the Google Play Store ... https://play.google.com/store?hl=en

Most of the standard news, social (FB & Twitter) and sports apps are available on both iTunes and the Play Store but I wouldn't have a clue what your daughter considers essential so you better ask her or it may end up that she hands you back the shiny new Android tablet and locks herself away with your iPad. Leaving the compatibility issues aside, you also need to consider schoolyard snobbery/peer pressure so ask her if she would use an Android tablet, she may come straight out and tell you that she wouldn't be seen dead with one because the popular (i.e. trend setting) girls in her circle all have Apple tablets.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,679 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

xabi wrote: »
    I'm getting my daughter a tablet for her birthday that will be mainly used for games, Netflix, etc. She uses my iPad and has lots of apps that she likes, im wondering if I should just go for a cheaper tablet like the Amazon fire or stick with Apple as I know there wont be any trouble with it.

Since you are already in the Apple ecosystem I think you'd be mad to introduce an Android tablet. If you get her iPad you'll be able to share your App Store and iTunes purchases with her. With the Android you'll have to re-purchase a lot of thing, if they are even available. Also since both of you are already familiar with how iOS works, you'll just be inviting complaints about the various ways the Android tablet is inferior. The frequently repeated refrain in these instances of "oh sure everyone is in apps all the time, the OS doesn't matter" is wrong.

You can get a refurbished iPad that's as good as new from the Apple Store for a 10-20 percent discount.

Advertisement