Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Renting and Irish Water

Options
  • 27-01-2016 4:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭

Hi,

Just a quick question. I am currently renting an apartment and haven't paid my water bill. Will this affect our deposit or is the contract just between myself and Irish Water

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35 scot1964

You are liable for it, but just like any other utility bill, the landlord will (should) ask for proof of payment before releasing your deposit.
    They should specify this in your lease.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭baldshin

So can a landlord withhold some of your deposit to give to Irish Water? Or do they just give your details to IW?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭ComfortKid

The bill should follow you like any other utility, I don't see how it's any of the landlords business weather you paid or not, but with IW it wouldn't surprise me if it was the house they bill rather than the customet

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭The_Chap

Had tenants leave us without paying any water, we just told IW their new address and left it with them, despite all the threats of it being charged to the property etc this has not come into law, nor do I believe it will

• Registered Users Posts: 35 scot1964

See article.. The landlord / now PRTB can withold the deposit until it's paid. And No, the landlord doesn't pay Irish Water

"..landlords will be allowed withhold the deposit paid for rented accommodation until the balance has been cleared.
    Landlords will be expected to do this until the Private Residential Tenancies Board (PRTB) takes responsibility for deposit protection, at which point tenants will have to demonstrate their water bill has been settled in order to recoup their deposit."

irishtimes.com/news/politics/criticism-of-plan-to-hold-rental-deposits-until-water-bills-paid-1.2203888

• Advertisement
Advertisement