Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3 BABY SEATS INTO A 2011 BMW 5 SERIES - ANYBODY HAVE SUCCESS?

Options
  • 27-01-2016 4:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hi folks
    Any help greatly appreciated here.
    As the title suggests I'm looking to fit 3 child seats into my 2011 bmw 520d as expecting out 3rd in 2 months.
    I spent quite a few hours trying out combinations on Sat last with no joy.
    Kids are aged 3(15kg so can use a high backed booster), 22 months and then the new born.
    I know there is the multimax option out of the UK but v expensive esp given strength of sterling.
    Although I've quite a few seats in the house right now I'd be willing to buy 3 new seats if it meant fitting them all in.
    Thanks folks
    Brian

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭sillysocks

I've been looking this up cause we're about to buy a new car, apparently very very few cars take 3, even the crossover cars. It's crazy!
    I haven't looked into what boosters are skinniest etc but might be worth going to somewhere like Tony Kealys and getting them to try the combinations.

The other thing puts me off multimac is that from a quick looks it seems that you have to use their baby seat-then you lose the convenience of being able to transport the baby in the maxi cost seat onto the buggy or into the house etc. I haven't looked into that though so maybe they do do adapters for their seat too.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

Brian my neighbour has the same car and told me they can't fit 3 seats across. They had a golf and found they could get 3 across the golf with a squeeze. They had to take all car seats out and install in one go! They have since bought a peugot 5008.

Sillysocks it is crazy! I bought a new car recently and I couldn't believe how small the crossovers were inside!! My OH will be changing car next year and thinks he will go for a passat. I saw a skoda yeti today and think they look fab and cheaper than tiguan. He will only buy vw though :( No idea though if you can fit 3 seats in either!!! Might try and convince him to have a look at it! He will not drive a "brat wagon" as he calls them!!!!! A ford cmax will fit 3 across it, my friend has one. Another one of my friends has a Santa Fe 7 seater. I would say depending on the seats a nissan note my fit 3 seats at a push. I went in to test drive a juke and pulsar. The new note looks a lot better than old one. I couldn't believe the space in the back of it!

It's madness alright. I thought the crossovers would definitely fit them-they seem to be family aimed so if they made one that did they'd make a fortune!
    My husband is the same regarding the people carrier, says no way :)
    We actually don't need the three seats as yet, hopefully we might down the road but think we're just gonna change the car for now and worry about the seats if and when we need to! Bury our heads in the sand !

It's madness alright. I thought the crossovers would definitely fit them-they seem to be family aimed so if they made one that did they'd make a fortune!
    We actually don't need the three seats as yet, hopefully we might down the road but think we're just gonna change the car for now and worry about the seats if and when we need to! Bury our heads in the sand !

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

sillysocks wrote: »

We don't either ;) We tend to buy our cars new or almost new and keep them for 10 years :) I found buying new was the best value because a lot of garages were doing scrappage €4+k or/and 0% finance so it worked out cheaper to buy new. I even tried to look at a Dacia duster but he wouldn't!!! They are so cheap and actually hold their value as they are soooo cheap to start with!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

briancbyrne - please don't post the same thing in three different threads. I'll leave this one open and delete the other two.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Andso

I know a mother in my sons class has a 2012 5 series bmw and she managed 3 seats, I'm not sure which ones but they were Phil and teds brand. At the time she had a 4yr old, 2yr old and newborn

• Registered Users Posts: 4,904 ✭✭✭gifted

Fitted 3 baby's seats into a Toyota avensis. ..kids were 4, 2 1/2 and new born. It was a tight fit, had to get a seat belt extension for newborn baby's seat in the middle, that seat was never removed, to much hassle. Had to finally change to seven seater as next baby seat for newborn was bigger and wouldn't fit in.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

Graco boosters seem to be quite narrow. Had to borrow one recently, and it was definitely a bit tidier than my own- might be worth a try?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭dori_dormer

gifted wrote: »
    Fitted 3 baby's seats into a Toyota avensis. ..kids were 4, 2 1/2 and new born. It was a tight fit, had to get a seat belt extension for newborn baby's seat in the middle, that seat was never removed, to much hassle. Had to finally change to seven seater as next baby seat for newborn was bigger and wouldn't fit in.

I'm not sure if you are allowed use seatbelt extenders with car seats? I think it's not considered safe, but I could be wrong!

You should all give Simon in In Car Safety in Belfast an email. They are really great and will easily be able to tell you what cars can easily fit 3 seats, or what seats will fit in the car you currently have. They have loads of experience.

Or you can see if the RSA check it fits, is going to be near you soon as they are also really knowledgeable!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

Colleague of mine fitted a thing into the back that is essentially a bolt in frame with child seats. Its in and out in around 15 minutes and has its own seats and belts etc. It has all the safety ratings etc but comes as a price tag of over €1000, new even more, like 2k+. He got it second hand and expects to shift it once he no longer needs it. Not sure if you consider that expensive but its a lot less expensive than getting a new car I'd say. I'll ask what make that is and give you an update.

Multimac

• Registered Users Posts: 7 briancbyrne

Andso wrote: »
    I know a mother in my sons class has a 2012 5 series bmw and she managed 3 seats, I'm not sure which ones but they were Phil and teds brand. At the time she had a 4yr old, 2yr old and newborn
    See pm.
    Many thanks.
    Brian

• Registered Users Posts: 7 briancbyrne

Boskowski wrote: »
    Multimac

Cheers boskowski . He's hardly considering selling is he ? I was looking at them but with the new born fitting and strength of sterling it's more like 2500 new . Thanks

You're welcome but nah he only got it himself a couple of months ago and will be needing it for years. But considering the outlay and that kids eventually grow out of it they seem to pop up second hand every now and then. I think he paid just over a grand for it.

Advertisement