Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Small speaker unit- mono vs stereo

• 27-01-2016 4:49pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,161 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    I'm looking for a bedside unit for radio/music from my smartphone/Spotify.
    I'm totally gone into overanalysisparslysis but have 1 question left-

Some units, like the Ruark R1 Mk3 or Revo Supersignal have 1 speaker so are mono. Others like the Pure Evoke D6 have 2 speakers so have stereo sound. But on a unit that small would you hear a difference or a better audio experience from the stereo sound unit?

I'm also thinking of pairing up 2 units (like Bose Soundtouch 10 or Roberts R1 or 100) so it mightn't be relevant at all but still curious.

Thanks in advance,
    Pa.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 717 ✭✭✭akaSol

Not the PURE - they have sold/folded their internet portal. A multi room option would be Sonos ( all mono ) Or the R1 / 100 but I think someone else said that the Roberts where delayed until June.

From a listening experience mono is fine on a bead side locker - but if you are going to put them as a main listening device Stereo is highly recommended.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 717 ✭✭✭akaSol

Not the PURE - they have sold/folded their internet portal. A multi room option would be Sonos ( all mono ) Or the R1 / 100 but the Roberts are delayed until June. LINK

From a listening experience mono is fine on a bed side locker - but if you are going to put them as a main listening device Stereo is highly recommended.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Slaphead07

I'm using a rebadged version of the mono Revo (which is the same DNA as the Ruark, or Tivoli or a few other brands) and it's just great for bedside listening. Avoid Bose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,161 ✭✭✭dinneenp

Slaphead07 wrote: »
    I'm using a rebadged version of the mono Revo (which is the same DNA as the Ruark, or Tivoli or a few other brands) and it's just great for bedside listening. Avoid Bose.

What's the brand please? I love the look of the Revo Supersignal but the Ruark r1 mk3 gets most recommendations. I'd say there's very little between them.

Feck it anyway, I saw a great deal for the Cambridge Air 100 speaker; on sale for €220, normally at least €350 or more elsewhere. went to checkout and postage was €45 extra. don't know if I can justify that for a bedside unit.

• Advertisement

dinneenp wrote: »
    What's the brand please? I love the look of the Revo Supersignal but the Ruark r1 mk3 gets most recommendations. I'd say there's very little between them.

It's a Vita brand. Almost exactly the same as the Ruark r1 Mk3 - slightly different display. There's nothing between them in terms of sound. Mine is mostly for talk radio and the tone is natural, deep and warm, compared to the Sony clock radio on my wife's side it's infinitely better.

dinneenp wrote: »
    Feck it anyway, I saw a great deal for the Cambridge Air 100 speaker; on sale for €220, normally at least €350 or more elsewhere. went to checkout and postage was €45 extra. don't know if I can justify that for a bedside unit.

A completely different beast than the radios you were looking at before, and I imagine far more expensive. It will have more functionality but nowhere near the sound quality, which for me is by far the most important thing.

Just found this article about Vita from 2012-

International branding cited as a key reason for changing the name – and a new product is in the pipeline

Vita Audio is to become Ruark Audio with immediate effect, incorporating the heritage of the Ruark brand in to the range of 'small audio' products.

All existing products, currently branded Vita Audio, will remain technically and cosmetically the same with only the name changing, while Ruark Audio also promises a new model for release "in a few months time".

Read more at http://www.whathifi.com/news/vita-audio-changes-name-to-ruark-audio#HMQm8QeZPrZ5pzYK.99

Slaphead07 wrote: »
    A completely different beast than the radios you were looking at before, and I imagine far more expensive. It will have more functionality but nowhere near the sound quality, which for me is by far the most important thing.

Would a Ruark/Revo have better sound quality in a bedroom compared to the Cambridge? I would have presumed the Cambridge would be better. If I'm wrong I'd happily order the Ruark or Revo (or ROBERTS STREAM 93i) today and be happy.

Cheers,
    Pa.

Advertisement