Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Applying to a masters with a 2.2

Options
  • 27-01-2016 5:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭

I find my self in a position where getting a 2.1 looks very unlikely, I will do my absolute utmost to try and achieve it but must consider the possibilities of it not happening. Basically my question is would a 2.2 at the higher end give me any hope of getting into any post graduate programmes in Smurfit and Trinity in particular.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,611 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Smurfit yeah, not a bother really. Trinity I am not so sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Route1

Are u sure of that I thought that the majority have a 2.1 requirement, if not that's brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,611 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Route1 wrote: »
    Are u sure of that I thought that the majority have a 2.1 requirement, if not that's brilliant.

It depends on the Masters, the very good ones have better requirements. What are you thinking of?

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Route1

I'm not sure yet I'm still indecisive at this point assessing my options

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭ucdperson

This is not a straightforward question. If the course is full then of course they will give the places to the best qualified applicants and there are a lot of 2.1s nowadays. If the course is not full then they will consider your application. A GPA of 3.02 is not so different from a GPA of 3.12, so it depends on the details.

Personally, having looked at applications in the past I would consider the detail. How do the applicant do in subjects most relevant to the Masters? Has the applicant ever done well or only achieved mediocre grades all along? Is there any reason why these grades do not represent the applicants best shot, e.g. extenuating circumstances, playing some top sport for College, etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭ucdperson

This is not a straightforward question. If the course is full then of course they will give the places to the best qualified applicants and there are a lot of 2.1s nowadays. If the course is not full then they will consider your application. A GPA of 3.02 is not so different from a GPA of 3.12, so it depends on the details.

Personally, having looked at applications in the past I would consider the detail. How do the applicant do in subjects most relevant to the Masters? Has the applicant ever done well or only achieved mediocre grades all along? Is there any reason why these grades do not represent the applicants best shot, e.g. extenuating circumstances, playing some top sport for College, etc.

Advertisement