Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

XtraVision to cease trading from today, all 80 stores closed across Ireland

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,412 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

They've been having fire sales on their stock for the last few months, it was bound to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭tramoreman77

What will happen to the kiosks

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

You'd have to wonder why, with their pricing model so inheritantly flawed that this wasn't clear from a few years ago

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭Dinky22

Yes, what will happen to their kiosks?.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭johndoe99

i wonder will there online website remain open? It has a twin website in that of HMV.

• Advertisement

This has been a slow death for them. I stopped going in around this time last year due to pricing and not getting games in on launch day if at all.... I was still trading in games then.

Not alone that a lot of their back catalogue stuff was grubby and tatty looking, like it had been on the shelf for 10 years (possibly old hmv stock) .

I'm sure thats many towns left now without a place to buy a physical dvd / blue ray, I live in one of the biggest towns in the country and the only place you can buy a new dvd is now tesco, which interestingly has rumour of hmv doing something in.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,749 ✭✭✭✭Penn

As I said in another thread, after the sh*t they pulled with the XB1 release, no sympathy for them. Bad for the staff obviously, but as a company, they never moved with the times and ended up resorting to fairly sh*tty practices to try and stay afloat.

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭tramoreman77

Who do you contact ,if anyone has an idea if your owned sonething,my friend handed in a broken controller he got in a console any advice please ,panic has set in lol

• Registered Users Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭Bowlardo

Will this affect hmv?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭johndoe99

Bowlardo wrote: »
    Will this affect hmv?

RTE News stated that HMV is not affected by the liquidation

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,743 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

HMV bought Xtravision a while back too i think, pretty sure they did anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Honestly saw this coming and slightly impressed they managed to hold out this long at all. Sucks for all the staff in the company, I was in the same position last year when O2 got shut down.

With that said, I haven't bought anything from an Xtra-Vision for anything since I stopped working for them myself, and that would be about 10 years ago now. I'd poke my head in now and then, but its a dying medium.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

I'm astounded that they lasted this long at all to be honest. It just goes to show how old school some people still are.

Oh well, gone the way of the telegram now - the writing has been on the wall for a decade.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 824 ✭✭✭sheep?

Man, how many time since 79 have they ran into trouble? Surprised they lasted so long. Really feel bad for the staff, 580 is a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Traded in Fallout 4 3 days ago to CEX, was offered more in store credit for the game off Xtra Vision but I knew they were going bust so I said no way am I getting store credit. I knew that they only stayed open for the xmas sales.

So glad I aint stuck with a credit note now!!!!

Traded in Fallout 4 3 days ago to CEX, was offered more in store credit for the game off Xtra Vision but I knew they were going bust so I said no way am I getting store credit. I knew that they only stayed open for the xmas sales.

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Sieghardt

real shame for the staff but you couldnt give that place business if you wanted to, year old or more games sitting on the shelves at €79.99

• Registered Users Posts: 28,098 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Who do you contact ,if anyone has an idea if your owned sonething,my friend handed in a broken controller he got in a console any advice please ,panic has set in lol

Contact Grant Thornton Accountants and ask to speak to someone who is dealing with the Xtravision liquidation.

Bear in mind they will be very busy now so if no one is available ask for an email address that you can send on a query to. Email/explain what your query is relating to and name the store and address.

The Liquidator should be going in in the next few days to box up and take stock, files and documents from the premises.

Xtravision should have a book with the details of all items taken in to send for repair so this can be cross referenced with items back from repair.

This could take a few weeks.

Secondally you could email Microsoft and explain the situation and they might send you out a new controller.

Thirdly you could buy a new controller yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,743 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

Wonda-Boy wrote: »

I heard HMV are honoring any creditnotes and gift cards from Xtravision, so you'd have been fine in either case

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

Wonda-Boy wrote: »

Wonda-Boy 1
    580 staff nil

• Advertisement

quarryman wrote: »
    Wonda-Boy 1
    580 staff nil

Dead right, whats your problem?

So its okay for them to sell hundreds of gift vouchers for Christmas knowing full well that the chances of them all being used was slim. I got caught before with HMV in Belfast so once bitten and all that.....even if being honored it will take 6-8 mths for credit if at all.

I have been made redundant twice in my life where you crying for me then, and posting up snotty remakes for a sh1t stir.

Get down of your high horse mate you will smell your **** talk quicker closer to the ground!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,458 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

No more personal attacks please.

Advertisement