Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Land Boundaries

Options
  • 27-01-2016 6:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,833 ✭✭✭

One property that I'm looking at seems to have some "no-mans land" adjacent to it. I can see from google maps that some of the neighbours have "integrated" the portion of "no-mans land" directly behind them into their garden. How can I find out whether this has been done legally or not? I want to accertain whether I could do the same with the section beside this house?

I have looked at the land registry but it does not seem suitable:
    10. I have a dispute with my neighbour over where the boundary lies. Can you tell me who is right?
    No. The Land Registry map is an index map and identifies property, not boundaries. Therefore, we are not in a position to advise.

What is used to define the boundaries of a property if not the land registry?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Do you have a neighbour who is occupying the land or is it simply vacant land adjacent to your own? If it is the latter then your neighbours are likely to be occupying it with a view to asserting adverse possession (aka squatter's rights) after the relevant statutory period (generally 12 years).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,833 ✭✭✭Alkers

It is vacant land adjacent to a property that I'm considering purchasing (before the land issue arose). There is access to the land via a gate from the front garden of the property I am interested in. The neighbours have occupied other portions of the same land but the portion adjacent this house is vacant.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,323 ✭✭✭arctictree

So just ask the neighbours what the situation is?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,833 ✭✭✭Alkers

arctictree wrote: »
    So just ask the neighbours what the situation is?

Yes, I will do so, haven't actually viewed the property yet but am tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

I thought squatters rights had been stopped?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

Here's some info on adverse possession. Interesting to note that if this 'no man's land' is owned by a State authority, the 12 year period rises to 30 years.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/farming/news/what-are-squatters-rights-exactly-308255.html

Advertisement