Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HKC Securewatch Alarm Faults

Options
  • 27-01-2016 7:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭

I wander if someone can help me with a problem I have with my HKC Securewatch SW8/12 alarm system. I have checked out multiple links, tried a few fixes but seem to be stuck.
    I have three faults on my keypad, "internal bell fuse", "external bell fuse" and "external bell tamper". Being a confident DIYer I have tried replacing the fuses but they burn out on turning the power back on.
    I have tried opening and closing the exterior HKC Sabb Alarm box to reset the tamper but the problem persists.
    I think the tamper switch might be damaged, If so can I get a replacement for this?
    Or is there another general fault that can be causing this sudden issue after 7 years of problem free?
    Any help would be appreciated

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Id say its a problem with the external bell itself. That unit is blowing the fuses & in turn that bell not being powered is causing the bell tamper.
    Might also be the bell cable damaged somewhere in between.
    My first move would be to disconnect all the cables at the external bell & then power the panel up with new fuses & activate the system. If everything else holds up that would eliminate a short on the cable.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Id say its a problem with the external bell itself. That unit is blowing the fuses & in turn that bell not being powered is causing the bell tamper.
    My first move would be to disconnect all the cables at the external bell & then power the panel up with new fuses & activate the system. If everything else holds up that would eliminate a short on the cable.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Kepler 186f

KoolKid wrote: »
    Thanks for the advice, that makes sense to me so I'll definitely give it a go

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Kepler 186f

KoolKid wrote: »
    My first move would be to disconnect all the cables at the external bell & then power the panel up with new fuses & activate the system. If everything else holds up that would eliminate a short on
    the cable.

I had contacted HKC direct who wouldn't even answer my question, I questioned the lack of after sales customer care and got another ignorant reply. Nonetheless thanks to boards.ie and Koolkid. Before trying your fix I got a replacement alarm box just incase I needed to change that while I was up the ladder.
    A main electrical supplier sold a dummy box to the wife for 62.76. I then found AES Electrical Kinsale Road Commercial Park and met a very helpful salesperson. I explained how I thought the tamper switch was faulty and he explained how to short it to quick fix it. I bought a replacement alarm box at the same time for 49.20, considerably less than the dummy one.
    Well today I got back to it, the quick fix worked. I took back the alarm box for a refund and was given a replacement tamper switch for 4. That's in and all the faults are gone. Thanks again for the advice Koolkid

• Registered Users Posts: 2 windy14x4

Hi I have lost the install manual for my securewatch SW8/12 alarm ,has anybody got one
    Thanks

• Advertisement

PMed you that manual.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 windy14x4

Thanks thats great ,have it working now

Advertisement