Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pedigree Suffolk

Options
  • 27-01-2016 7:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

I recently bought two inlamb pedigree suffolk ewes, one has had a ram lamb (3 weeks old) and the other still has to lamb yet.

i am wondering if it is worth it to subscribe to the suffolk society to register the ram lamb and what the benefits of subscribing are? i am 18 so it will only cost me 40 euro plus the 30 euro to register the ram (i think)

any information on this would appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭jd06

cmacb wrote: »
    I recently bought two inlamb pedigree suffolk ewes, one has had a ram lamb (3 weeks old) and the other still has to lamb yet.

i am wondering if it is worth it to subscribe to the suffolk society to register the ram lamb and what the benefits of subscribing are? i am 18 so it will only cost me 40 euro plus the 30 euro to register the ram (i think)

any information on this would appreciated

I'm in the same boat
    Iv 1 ewe with 2 ewes lambs
    1week old
    Not sure the story either? ?

• Registered Users Posts: 10 cmacb

do you have previous experience with them?

i am wondering how much meal should the lamb be eating. i started to feed him a week ago when he was 2 weeks old.

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭jd06

do you have previous experience with them?

i am wondering how much meal should the lamb be eating. i started to feed him a week ago when he was 2 weeks old.

First timer here. Not feeding yet have u a creep feeder or how do you do it

yeah creep feeder.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,497 ✭✭✭rangler1

You'd be better to talk to society secretary for what's involved, all purebreds don't be good enough for breeding so it'd be wasteful at this stage to register, But I think that the lambs can't be registered in Suffolk society unless they're notified at birth, which I think is only a couple euros.
    You'll probably have to register your flock and pay membership, any way.
    I'm giving you advice from a different breed, but as I've kicked off, I'm sure some experts will be along now to correct me

Just edited to say that they'll be slow to start on creep, but if you fence a corner of the shed with a gate that only the lamb will get through and leave in a little trough and a fresh handful of meal every day.....the ewe won't mind eating the stale meal.
    Best of luck any way

• Advertisement

Thanks for the help!

If a lamb is born small around (3kg) are the chances very unlikely shel go on to be a good/alright sheep?

• Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭Arrow in the Knee

If a lamb is born small around (3kg) are the chances very unlikely shel go on to be a good/alright sheep?

She could be a grand sheep but probably will never be a big ewe.

My average birth weight is around 7kgs for PB Suffolks.
    Singles from 6kgs-8.5kgs
    Twins from 4.5kgs-7kgs

If you intend to produce big lambs for August/September birth weight counts. The heavier the lamb the better chance he will be big and strong come selling time.

Also there is alot of new Suffolk breeders that don't stay with the breed after their 4th year which is telling.

While the ewe was in lamb she looked huge, we thought it was eithier twins or a big lamb.
    But when she lambed it was only a small 3kg ewe lamb which doesnt seem to have a good frame, am not sure weather to keep her on for breeding next year or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭Arrow in the Knee

While the ewe was in lamb she looked huge, we thought it was eithier twins or a big lamb.
    But when she lambed it was only a small 3kg ewe lamb which doesnt seem to have a good frame, am not sure weather to keep her on for breeding next year or not.

Was she scanned when you bought the ewe?

Alot of new enthusiasts who buy their first PB sheep don't realise how much money,time and effort it takes to have sheep above average.

Good Luck OP.

• Advertisement
Advertisement