Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Yongnuo Flash?

• 27-01-2016 8:26pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 197 ✭✭

I am looking for a flash for a Canon 6d equivalent to Canon 580 or 600 models but am confused by huge range of these models at much cheaper prices.
    Are they good and which would you recommend as first purchase?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

• Subscribers Posts: 693 ✭✭✭FlipperThePriest

I've used a yongnuo yn 465 for about 4 or 5 years now, great job. Has never let me down. Battery cover/door is a bit dicky but they've fixed that problem since the 465 model I think. I would defo recommend them! Huge money saver. Going to be getting a second one soon. I will probably go for the 565ex for about 80 notes, how could you lose!?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭Synchronicity

EyeCake wrote: »
    I am looking for a flash for a Canon 6d equivalent to Canon 580 or 600 models but am confused by huge range of these models at much cheaper prices.
    Are they good and which would you recommend as first purchase?

Bought a 560iii recently, first venture into properly using flash. It's manual but I'm delighted with it, manual is a good way to learn in any case. Cost sixty quid. Have it on a stand with unbrella and hooked up to a pocket wizard trigger...my photography has improved a LOT. Would recommend Yongnuo bigtime.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 197 ✭✭EyeCake

pixbyjohn wrote: »

Thank you pixbyjohn, following your advice I ordered one from Amazon and first impressions are very good at 1/6 of the price of the Canon 600 flash.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭pwllor

I'm using 568ex myself. It's a powerful flash. I can also recommend Yongnuo wireless triggers.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

Just a note of caution. I got a YN-568 to use with a Nikon D7200. From the beginning the flash never seemed to work properly with iTTL, every shot was underexposed by about one stop. Then on it's first serious outing the flash failed completely. iTTL stopped working, every shot was black. In manual mode the power could not be changed. Every setting was full power. Luckily I purchased from Amazon and they took it back. Reading online it seems to be a relatively common issue with various Yongnuo models.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Monkey Sampan

Just a note of caution. I got a YN-568 to use with a Nikon D7200. From the beginning the flash never seemed to work properly with iTTL, every shot was underexposed by about one stop. Then on it's first serious outing the flash failed completely. iTTL stopped working, every shot was black. In manual mode the power could not be changed. Every setting was full power. Luckily I purchased from Amazon and they took it back. Reading online it seems to be a relatively common issue with various Yongnuo models.

The build quality is definitely the number 1 issue with their products.

I'm currently using a good bit of Yongnuo gear including:

- 2x 560 III flashes,
    - 560TX transmitter
    - 3x 603 triggers

And I previously had 2x pairs of 622C triggers.

Nothing has failed outright, but the two flashes and the transmitter all have the battery door problem, that feels like it will break off if I'm not ultra careful.

I'm a bit concerned with the battery temperatures too as I can only use Eneloops in them, as any other non rechargeable batteries overheat and die on the day I put them in.

One of the flashes developed a problem where the On button got stuck and it wouldn't turn on, only then for all buttons to get stuck where nothing would work and it wouldn't turn off; that was a once off though.

I also have to tape the switches on the side of the 603 triggers as they've a habit of turning themselves on in my flash bag and killing the batteries.

Compare that to my older Canon 430Ex that's been dropped multiple times, has battle scars everywhere, yet still never gives up.

Advertisement