Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No value in Supervalu

• 27-01-2016 8:44pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭

The prices on some stuff, unreal. Was in rush, grabbed 2 of the packets of mini quiches (4 tiny ones in a box 200g altogether). Was shocked to see at home they were 4€ per pack (not to mention the ingredients list was shocking). They should change shop's name ;)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭henryporter

you mean you run into the shop, buy a product without checking the price (or noticing that you had to hand over at least €8), notice the price and list of ingredients whilst horsing into the product and then post a rather spurious generalisation about SuperValu prices :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I used to consider supervalu to almost be a convenience store, due to the prices. There are lots of great offers there nowadays though, and still lots of expensive stuff.

I thank the OP for subsidising the great offers I get there!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,236 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Great value in my local one on steak, fish, chicken etc. Thats outside of the usual promotions. OP , it helps to look at the prices before buying, unless they had that gun, most places use to force you to buy, to your head.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,443 ✭✭✭✭road_high

I think they vary a lot between the different franchisees. Depending on the level of competition they can be very good value or else decidedly average. That's just my experience.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,727 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

The real lesson is, learn to make quiche.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,753 ✭✭✭Xterminator

nah. supervalu do have a special offers which can be decent enough. But for a full weekly show you would be €'s worse off shopping there.

Personally i have no problem going in and sweeping up the offers; and ignoring the overrprice goods.

As always buyer beware.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,753 ✭✭✭Xterminator

nah. supervalu do have a special offers which can be decent enough. But for a full weekly show you would be €'s worse off shopping there.

Personally i have no problem going in and sweeping up the offers; and ignoring the overrprice goods.

As always buyer beware.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 416 ✭✭Tommy Kelly

uli84 wrote: »
    The prices on some stuff, unreal. Was in rush, grabbed 2 of the packets of mini quiches (4 tiny ones in a box 200g altogether). Was shocked to see at home they were 4€ per pack (not to mention the ingredients list was shocking). They should change shop's name ;)

I'd consider that great value.

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Turquoise Hexagon Sun

Supervalu is always a little more expensive but lately they've had some discounts on certain things. However, doing your whole weeks shopping isn't the most satisfying feeling on your wallet if you are trying to be frugal in any way.

@Tommy Kelly: Strange you would think so as Tesco do 400-440gs quiche for in and around 2.00 euros.

Here's an old article from 2012 price-comparing quiche, so yeah 8 euros for 400gs of Quiche is a rip-off.
    http://www.independent.ie/life/smart-consumer/shopping-around-quiche-lorraine-26825213.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭jacksie66

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

I find great quality and value in supervalu.
    I buy a lot of their own brand products.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭screamer

Yes definitely expensive and their own brand stuff is not a patch on other shops own brand.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭CloudCumulus

They know they're overpriced and as someone said, it!'s like a convenience store, in terms of both prices and opening hours.
    I worked there for 7 years, we were trained in 'service excellence', so basically if the staff are helpful (verging on creepy, by the training video) it was thought that people would be willing to pay more for a friendly face.
    Complaints were taken seriously even if they were completely mundane and there was heavy emphasis on mystery shopper reports, all for the princely sum of €9.45 an hour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭maximoose

road_high wrote: »
    I think they vary a lot between the different franchises. Depending on the level of competition they can be very good value or else decidedly average. That's just my experience.

Agreed.

Work right by Supervalu on Talbot Street and find it decent, plenty of good offers and value on day-to-day stuff

Supervalu HSQ - live near enough to it and it's basically a convenience store for the heap of apartment complexes nearby, with rip off prices as expected designed for people like the OP (no offence, I'm guilty of it too).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,236 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

screamer wrote: »
    Yes definitely expensive and their own brand stuff is not a patch on other shops own brand.

Their fruit and veg is far superior to Dunnes Stores in my experience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,666 ✭✭✭Howjoe1

Likewise I find them too dear for a weekly shop. Recently went to get a few small bits from the salad bar for lunch but seeing the price after weighing a bit of coleslaw etc I abandoned the items

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 411 ✭✭blackbird 49

I have found supervalu fairly expensive, don't usually go in unless I see their deal offers,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭Rackstar

You have to be careful what you buy in there. Some prices are crazy. Also I find that a lot of specials scan through at full price. Also some stores take advantage of job bridge. 160 odd job bridge in one store alone

http://www.rabble.ie/2016/04/27/a-jobbridge-too-far/

Advertisement