Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do Android podcasters count towards listnership?

Options
  • 27-01-2016 8:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭

Podcasts will often mention their ranking in iTunes & to rate/review them in iTunes.

However afaik, Android users across the various manufacturers outnumber IOS/Itunes users.
    So do our downloads matter to the podcast makers ratings?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭steve_r

I'd love to know the answer to this also. Some of the podcasts I listen to wouldn't have huge listener figures and they are always looking for itunes reviews etc - I feel bad I can't support them!

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭mang0

If you're hosting your podcast with somebody like Libsyn, then you can get a clear picture of how many downloads you've had, across which devices and platforms.

As far as I'm aware, and I'll happily stand to be corrected on this, iTunes charts are based on a combination of downloads + engagements like reviews, ratings, and subscriptions.

I can tell you that for the shows we do on http://castaway.media - the vast majority of our downloads come from iTunes or Apple Core Media, which is, I assume, their podcast app on iPhone.

I'm a little dubious about that all the same. We did a survey on site and it was much closer in mobile terms between iOS and Android: http://i.imgur.com/c6JIMPk.png

So, there's probably lots of desktop downloading through iTunes on Mac and Windows skewing things slightly.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭mang0

Double post - sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

I'm not the most experienced in this area, but I was running a podcast for 6 months and used feedburner to get the RSS going for it. From the control panel you could see the total downloads, which basically (as far as I can tell) took into account iTunes, Android and direct downloads.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭Trent Houseboat

Yeah, we're always told to rate and review on iTunes, but I assume half of us are accessing podcasts by other means.

• Advertisement
Advertisement