Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cost of changing Ryanair booking

Options
  • 27-01-2016 9:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭

I booked a return flight from Dublin to the UK and I would now like to change the date and time of my departure. My return flight will be the same.

According to the web site, Ryanair charge between €30-40 for a change like this. As this is more than double the cost of the flight, can I just cancel the outbound flight and book a new one at the same price?

The web site says nothing about cancellations, so if I just don't turn up for the original flight will there be any repercussions for my return flight?

This seems like a no-brainer but, knowing Ryanair, it can't be that easy.:confused:

Anyone got experience of this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Ryanair don't sell return tickets. They only sell one way tickets. As the booking process lets you book an outbound and an inbound flight at the same time, you may think that you are booking one return ticket, with two legs. You aren't. You are booking two separate, one way flights. They are independent of each other, even though you may have booked them at the same time. (Clear as mud right? :P )

So to cut a long story short, if you fail to show up for one of the flights, it won't have any impact on the other one. If you cancel one of the flights and book another one, you will be charged what ever the going rate for the new flight is, at the time of booking. It may or may not be the same price as the first one. It might have gone up, or it might have gone down. The price of flights can change on an hourly basis, so you won't really know what the price of the new flight will be, until you go to book it. You'll be charged the full price of whatever the new ticket is going for, you don't get to carry over any credit from the canceled flight.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,173 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

You should contact Ryanair though and ask them to cancel the outbound flight and request to keep the inbound.

Then just book your new outbound.

That's what I'd do just to cover my arse in case anything does go pear shaped.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,587 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

You can login online and it will tell you how much to amend the booking.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Sanguine Fan

Thanks for those bits of advice.

As it happens the price for the new flight is dearer than the one I booked originally. So I might as well go through the process of changing my dates as it won't be any more expensive than simply cancelling and rebooking.

Advertisement