Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Struggling to cope?

Options
  • 27-01-2016 9:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12

I'm feeling really bogged down with work and preparation for the Leaving. I don't really have many friends in school and outside school I don't talk to my old friends. So I can't get out much. I'm not much of a drinker anyway. I go to school, come home, study, sleep, repeat and it's wearing me down. The stress of the mocks and the Big LC in June is making me go insane.
    Is there anyone else in the same boat as me? Not many friends, so not much of a social life, bogged down with work?

Thanks. Best of luck to all

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭DublinArnie

You're forgetting to exercise!

You said you can't go out. Heck, you could go for a nice walk or a run through the local park or somewhere quiet. Trust me, you're probably thinking "How would running help? pfft" but don't judge until you try. I've had friends who were the same - bogged down, stuck at home all day etc. Except now they're much more happier and able to somewhat cope better.

I'm telling you this from my own experience as well. So many people neglect this fundamental coping and stress-relief mechanism.

Just make yourself physically tired, so your body will INSTINCTIVELY focus on yourself and help you forget about the exams and relief the stress a little.

Also, take the study in manageable chunks. If you don't love lists, you will after you take this advice! Make lists of all the topics/chapters of your subjects. Like myself, I've began listing chapters for maths that once seemed alien and fogged through out the days - but once I had the list, I saw how little and manageable the study was. Every few days or so, cross a chapter or two out.

You'll begin to see actual progress.

Please don't criticise this until you at least try it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭DublinArnie

You're forgetting to exercise!

You said you can't go out. Heck, you could go for a nice walk or a run through the local park or somewhere quiet. Trust me, you're probably thinking "How would running help? pfft" but don't judge until you try. I've had friends who were the same - bogged down, stuck at home all day etc. Except now they're much more happier and able to somewhat cope better.

I'm telling you this from my own experience as well. So many people neglect this fundamental coping and stress-relief mechanism.

Just make yourself physically tired, so your body will INSTINCTIVELY focus on yourself and help you forget about the exams and relief the stress a little.

Also, take the study in manageable chunks. If you don't love lists, you will after you take this advice! Make lists of all the topics/chapters of your subjects. Like myself, I've began listing chapters for maths that once seemed alien and fogged through out the days - but once I had the list, I saw how little and manageable the study was. Every few days or so, cross a chapter or two out.

You'll begin to see actual progress.

Please don't criticise this until you at least try it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 jayroitman

I try go for walks in the evenings, sometimes it helps but sometimes it doesn't. I also try take relaxing baths.

I love making lists for my subjects, I still do that!

Thanks for the advice. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 855 ✭✭✭TSMGUY

Aren't we all?!!! I'm in the same boat. External candidate so I don't even have any classroom banter to enjoy! Alienation, stress, feelings of inadequacy, hopelessness and excruciating boredom seem to be requisite for doing well in this evil little thing called the Leaving Cert. The way I see it my life will suck for the next 150 days and then it'll be awesome for the next 70 years! Best of luck and take consolation in the knowledge we're all just as miserable and anxious as you!

• Registered Users Posts: 12 jayroitman

"take consolation in the knowledge we're all just as miserable and anxious as you!" Hahaha this made me smile, thanks. Good luck

• Advertisement
Advertisement