Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Notice to tenant

Options
  • 27-01-2016 10:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Hi

I am just wondering what is the minimum amount of notice I need to give to my tenants who are in part 4 tenancy which will come to and end in 4 month's. They have been staying there 3 years now

I want to rent my apartment to a family member and am finding conflicting information online regarding notice I must give the tenants. As far as I can see it's 3 months but some say it's less.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

Hi

I am just wondering what is the minimum amount of notice I need to give to my tenants who are in part 4 tenancy which will come to and end in 4 month's. They have been staying there 3 years now

I want to rent my apartment to a family member and am finding conflicting information online regarding notice I must give the tenants. As far as I can see it's 3 months but some say it's less.

Thanks in advance.

Just google " part4 tenancy" and you will get the correct info you need from the citizens advice/prtb websites.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 MidgetWarden

I've done that and it doesn't state the period of notice if you need it for a family member. Cheers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

I've done that and it doesn't state the period of notice if you need it for a family member. Cheers.

The reason doesn't affect the notice period

• Registered Users Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭accensi0n

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭4ensic15

accensi0n wrote: »

It is 12 weeks not 3 months. If the notice expires on the last day of the tenancy
    no reason need be given.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭MileyReilly

12 weeks is 3 months

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,414 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

12 weeks is 3 months

No it's not, not in the legal sense.

If I gave my tenants 3 months notice today, they would have to be out on th 17th April. But if I gave them 12 weeks notice, they would have to be out on the 20th April.

12 weeks is 3 months

13 weeks is 3 months.

kceire wrote: »
    No it's not, not in the legal sense.

If I gave my tenants 3 months notice today, they would have to be out on th 17th April. But if I gave them 12 weeks notice, they would have to be out on the 20th April.

3 months from today is 27th April.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

12 weeks is 3 months

12 weeks is 84 days. 3 months is between 89-92 days.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Right no need for pedantry.

Mod

athtrasna wrote: »
    Right no need for pedantry. The legislation gives notice periods in terms of weeks.

Mod

Sorry for being pedantic but the legislation gives the notice periods in terms of days. It is extremely technical and important to get it right. The period doesn't start until the day after it is received by the tenant. The PRTB will deem a Notice of Termination invalid if it is a day out.

Advertisement