Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Documents to expect after closing

Options
  • 27-01-2016 10:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭

Hi

What should you expect after a sale has closed? We are in the house now so I'm really just wondering about what documentation, if any, I should expect.

Mortgage agreement
    Land registry
    Deeds

Basically aside from the fact we're paying mortgage payments each month, do we get anything that shows we bought the property? Do all these things stay with the bank or should we expect copies?

Anything else?

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,414 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

New house or second hand?

We bought new in 2006, twice actually and both times got nothing!
    We bought second hand in 2015 and we got copies of the OSi Maps, BER Certificate and advisory Report and proof of HOusehold charge and LPT paid throughout the years.

Think the bank keep the deeds, unless you've bought with your own cash.
    The mortgage agreements came directly from the bank in our case.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Lycoge

Bought a new build

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,414 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Lycoge wrote: »
    Bought a new build

Some form of safety file.
    Which should contain documents and instructions n how to use various appliances, heat pumps, solar panels or water / central heating control but generally they will be left in the house by the builder.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Lycoge

kceire wrote:
    Some form of safety file. Which should contain documents and instructions n how to use various appliances, heat pumps, solar panels or water / central heating control but generally they will be left in the house by the builder.

Got those from the builders. Thanks. Seems like I shouldn't be expecting much else then in terms of paperwork. I'm waiting for the solicitor to get back to me as I asked him the same question. Just seems a little odd to own the house and have nothing legal to show for it. Though I guess we don't really "own" the house until the mortgage is paid off. Ah well, only 34 years 10 months until then!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭wench

I think the only thing I got from my solicitor was a copy of the receipt for the stamp duty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Yeah, you'll probably only get receipts or invoices from your solicitor and various pieces of welcome documentation from the bank.

Additionally checking the property price register will show that the purchase has been registered and stamp duty paid, so you can be 99% confident that everything has been done properly and the house is yours on paper.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

IF you have a mortgage on the house the bank will have the deeds .
    You should get a document from solicitor ,
    bill paid, eg say 1200 plus 20 per cent vat for house purchase .

ask for a bank statement after 5 week,s to check your mortgage is being paid .
    You should have documents form bank you have x mortgage variable rate ,
    start date x/x/x adress ,term of mortgage eg 25 year ,s etc
    loan amount .account name .
    You have a loan on house x,
    i don,t think you technically own it until the loan is paid off,
    get a file ,put all bank statements,letters from the bank into it.
    After a certain time the capital, money you owe starts to decrease each year .

Advertisement