Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Excessive moderation sucking the fun out of AH

Options

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 806 ✭✭✭Martypants1

smash wrote: »
    Reddit is a god awful website to use.

No it's not.

You're just too used to boards.

You need to sign up, this instantly changes how things appear. Then download Reddit enhancement suite to tweak to whatever way you like.

For example, if someone is trolling or is being a twat then they'll get downvoted. You can set it up so comments downvoted to -5, -3, -24 are hidden so you don't even have to see them.

The reason boards doesn't go to that exact format is because then boards would be in direct competition with it and would crumble.

I really don't see why post count is shown either, just leads people to posting every 2 mins just to build their post count up.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

You could argue that adding a thumbsdown button would reduce the impact of trolling.

Guy comes in and trolls. He gets 1 or 2 thanks from other trolls. General user sees this and decides to engage with troll. Troll get what he wants and thread turns crap.

Thumbsdown button - troll gets thumbsdowned heavily. General user sees comment and sees number of thumbsdown, is happy that everyone else knows they are a troll and does not engage.

That's just attention for a troll though. I can see why it would work on Reddit but Politics.ie tried it a few years ago and it was a disaster, half the debate seemed to be about why somebody down voted them or whatever.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Just look how this feature works exceptionally well on reddit.
    It really doesn't. It works against outright trolls and idiots, but it has the unintended consequence of creating small echo chambers in every single thread.
    For example, in any thread on reddit that has anything to do with guns, post anything whatsoever that is even slightly criticial of gun ownership and the second amendment and it'll be instantly downvoted.

Reddit states that you should upvote relevant contributions and downvote irrelevant ones. But that doesn't work, because people. People upvote things they agree with and downvote things they don't agree with.

The factual content of the post is somewhat irrelevant. I know because I've gotten hundreds of upvotes with some completely bull**** posts and had completely factual posts downvoted without a single response.

It doesn't work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

No it's not.

You're just too used to boards.
    This isn't the case. I use a lot of forums and reddit is horrible.
    You need to sign up, this instantly changes how things appear. Then download Reddit enhancement suite to tweak to whatever way you like.
    The fact that you have to download an enhancement suite proves that it's not usable.
    For example, if someone is trolling or is being a twat then they'll get downvoted. You can set it up so comments downvoted to -5, -3, -24 are hidden so you don't even have to see them.
    I'm well aware of how it works.
    The reason boards doesn't go to that exact format is because then boards would be in direct competition with it and would crumble.
    This is completely untrue. The reason that boards uses the format it does, is because 99% of forums use this format.
    I really don't see why post count is shown either, just leads people to posting every 2 mins just to build their post count up.
    No it doesn't, because you don't get rewarded for your post count.

• Site Banned Posts: 806 ✭✭✭Martypants1

This isn't the case. I use a lot of forums and reddit is horrible.

The fact that you have to download an enhancement suite proves that it's not usable.

I'm well aware of how it works.

This is completely untrue. The reason that boards uses the format it does, is because 99% of forums use this format.

No it doesn't, because you don't get rewarded for your post count.

You don't get rewarded for thanks but people still thankswhore.

Thing with boards is you get recognised. People almost become friends on here, well they do.

And you don't have to download reddit enhancement suite, perfectly usable but RES allows more customisation.

Established boards posters don't like reddit because their opinion holds no weight over there.

AH is just anti-fun. You'd be afraid of taking the mick of another poster for fear of getting banned.

This whole feedback thread is a waste of time anyways as decisions for forums are made by a select few.

The whole mod culture stinks as well. Driven by people wanting power. Why would you need to have a "welcome X as our new mod" unless you want to have a big circlejerk? Why not just appoint someone a mod and let that be that.

• Advertisement

I liked it better when we were discussing my greatness.

Whoops for president \o/

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

A female president? Don't be absurd.

#thingsArentWhatTheyUsedToBe

• Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

Yeah, reddit is a god awful website to use which is why everyone uses and talks about it.

Reddit is about a billion times better than boards at surfacing new, interesting content and growing organically. It's incorrect to say that if you post something anti-gun there you'll be downvoted to oblivion; I've witnessed plenty of anti-gun discussion heavily upvoted there.

Reddit is also great at promoting popular answers or comments on topics which are often knowlegable, thoughtful or witty but which are occasionally predictable and ignorant. It depends what sub you're posting in and at what time of day.

They're threaded format encourages bifurcation of discussion which results in lots of individual conversations rather than the free for all you see here. Personally I prefer to explore topics on boards as you get more continuity of conversation. boards also has an Irish focus which reddit lacks.

The main feature I feel would be useful for boards is thread filters; primarily 'Serious' and 'Funny'. They would take a lot of work off mods plate; if you want a serious discussion in AH just tag your thread accordingly and no one has to think about it. Mind you, I've been plugging for this since the days of Something Awful so I'm not hopeful it's going to happen any time soon.

Yeah, reddit is a god awful website to use which is why everyone uses and talks about it.

Reddit is about a billion times better than boards at surfacing new, interesting content and growing organically. It's incorrect to say that if you post something anti-gun there you'll be downvoted to oblivion; I've witnessed plenty of anti-gun discussion heavily upvoted there.

Reddit is also great at promoting popular answers or comments on topics which are often knowlegable, thoughtful or witty but which are occasionally predictable and ignorant. It depends what sub you're posting in and at what time of day.

They're threaded format encourages bifurcation of discussion which results in lots of individual conversations rather than the free for all you see here. Personally I prefer to explore topics on boards as you get more continuity of conversation. boards also has an Irish focus which reddit lacks.

The main feature I feel would be useful for boards is thread filters; primarily 'Serious' and 'Funny'. They would take a lot of work off mods plate; if you want a serious discussion in AH just tag your thread accordingly and no one has to think about it. Mind you, I've been plugging for this since the days of Something Awful so I'm not hopeful it's going to happen any time soon.

Also, no double-posts.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,380 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Why would you need to have a "welcome X as our new mod" unless you want to have a big circlejerk? Why not just appoint someone a mod and let that be that.

1. A bit of a thank you in advance for the user agreeing to give up their free time to keep the forum running smoothly for the benefit of other users,
    2. To allow users know that there is a new mod and who they are should they ever need them,
    3. To build a sense of community,
    4. For the craic,
    5. For a big circlejerk oops

Earthhorse wrote: »

Reddit is about a billion times better than boards at surfacing new, interesting content and growing organically.

In the case of reddit, its popularity and ability to grow organically through new content submissions has nothing to do with it's usability. The site became popular because if it's initial free speech and freedom of information policies which attracted a large user base. The user base increases to grow as users are willing to embark on a learning curve in order to access the information available, yet its usability becomes worse and worse as the site becomes more cluttered. There have been numerous usability reports on reddit and none of them have good results.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,175 ✭✭✭intheclouds

There have been numerous usability reports on reddit and none of them have good results.

Yet its still being used by everyone!

Yet its still being used by everyone!

Did you read my post fully?

"The user base increases to grow as users are willing to embark on a learning curve in order to access the information available"

It may be true in a dry, academic sense that it's not usable but the proof is in the pudding. Its success is only partly due to its free speech policy. Its ability to grow organically is because users can create subreddits without approval by staff. Its primary attraction is the algorithm which determines what content gets displayed and for how long, which results in a fairly steady supply of new stuff to view.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

Reddit claims to have users in 217 countries so might as well say world wide.

They have 3.4 million users out of 7.1 billion 0.04%

Boards, Irish website aimed at Irish people 630,000 out of 4.58m 13.75%

Statistically Boards is bigger than reddit.

ken wrote: »

But if they counted active users, and removed those who have more than one account they probably have close to half of that. I know over the years I've set up maybe 5/6 reddit accounts and have never used them.

But if they counted active users, and removed those who have more than one account they probably have close to half of that. I know over the years I've set up maybe 5/6 reddit accounts and have never used them.

Same could be true of boards so I just went with the figures to hand for handiness sake.

Same could be true of boards so I just went with the figures to hand for handiness sake.
    I'm sure the same is true here. All websites fabricate figures of traffic, users and whatever else can help them charge more for sdvertising.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 335 ✭✭HanaleiJ5N

Great "logic" there.

One quarter of the worlds population is Chinese.

Therefore, statistically speaking, one of your four grandparents is Chinese....

• Advertisement

Boards is a lot older than Reddit.

A more interesting comparison would be active users and growth.

Personally I feel as though boards is slowing down, less users, less action in forums.

But (again personally) Reddit seems to be growing.

Boards is a lot older than Reddit.

A more interesting comparison would be active users and growth.

Personally I feel as though boards is slowing down, less users, less action in forums.

But (again personally) Reddit seems to be growing.

Boards is by and large a national/regional website and current generations have more time for facebook and twitter than discussion forums. Reddit is international so of course it has a wider audience.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,484 ✭✭✭✭looksee

<<<<< Reddit

What have comparisons to Reddit to do with anything, we are discussing Boards. If you have proposals for improving Boards, share them, but just saying how much better Reddit is does not help at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,484 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Remember not to use quick reply

Boards is by and large a national/regional website and current generations have more time for facebook and twitter than discussion forums. Reddit is international so of course it has a wider audience.

Actually a few posts above someone pointed out that statistically boards.ie is larger.

I was simply posting an observation of how it "feels". Even without comparing against anything but itself, boards.ie feels like it is slowing down. It was far more active a few years ago.

Perhaps one of the reasons that boards.ie is slowing down is due to excessive moderation? Isnt that what the thread is about?

Perhaps one of the reasons that boards.ie is slowing down is due to excessive moderation? Isnt that what the thread is about?

A number of years ago there was a complete site take down and a lot of users lost access to their accounts and just didn't come back. More recently there's been multiple DDOS attacks and it feels like we've lost more posters again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

Are you joking?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,162 ✭✭✭MadDog76

seamus wrote: »
    The factual content of the post is somewhat irrelevant. I know because I've gotten hundreds of upvotes with some completely bull**** posts and had completely factual posts downvoted without a single response.

Sure you got the same on this very thread ...........

Are you joking?

Did I make a mistake in my maths?. It has been a while since I've had to use percentages.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,162 ✭✭✭MadDog76

Are you joking?

Sadly, I think he was being serious ....... :eek:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement