Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Excessive moderation sucking the fun out of AH

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

ken wrote: »
    Did I make a mistake in my maths?. It has been a while since I've had to use percentages.

No really, are you being serious?

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Clem H Fandango

They have 3.4 million users out of 7.1 billion 0.04%

Reddit has over 35 million users and a quarter billion unique visits a month.
    http://www.redditblog.com/2015/06/happy-10th-birthday-to-us-celebrating.html
    Boards, Irish website aimed at Irish people 630,000 out of 4.58m 13.75%

Statistically Boards is bigger than reddit.

Never get a job involving numbers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

Reddit has over 35 million users and a quarter billion unique visits a month.
    http://www.redditblog.com/2015/06/happy-10th-birthday-to-us-celebrating.html

Never get a job involving numbers.

So I still have a shot at minister for finance then. Sweet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭_Tombstone_

smash wrote: »
    A number of years ago there was a complete site take down and a lot of users lost access to their accounts and just didn't come back. More recently there's been multiple DDOS attacks and it feels like we've lost more posters again.

It was 3 days after DDoS before I came back proper, for the first time in over a decade I wasn't really bothered checking in here.

It's not what it was.

Feedback Forum here keeps on getting the same kind of threads every few months about problems with site, nothing happens.

Nothing new is tried - "No, that's not happening/won't work/lock the Thread, assuming you get a response at all.

Even simple thing of getting new Forum created takes years/ AMA took 3 years cuz a couple of Forums were getting new names.

Even simple feedback on running of site is/was gone.

New more restrictive Rules all over the place that apparently " we" ask for.

I had post edited for calling a bird a sh1thead other day, I was writing it giving out in my head about it as I typed - the place has been sterilised or something.

I do post stuff in Forums sometimes that people may find interesting, had post edited to just say not relevant for here one day. In PM after it turned out he hadn't even looked at it but as I was newish user at time he assumed it was spam cuz it was odd link - didn't even look.

Some of science/Tech Forums are really quiet, post threads in there and you get replies like we're not info links dump or what's your opinion from some clown that has ventured out from AH. This in Forums with no post in month. Die Forum die.

Is it just one person deciding the direction/rules for the site?

This has been a good thread, the user base changing part had me thinking for awhile but its not what's wrong.

It's a pity the sites heading way it is, usage must not be down so maybe the longtimers just have to finally accept Boards as it is now.

However you'd describe how/what it was - MAGIC - just not here anymore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,001 ✭✭✭recylingbin

I think what has t be remembered is that ah is supposed to be , or was supposed to be, anarchic and fun.
    I don't use it for serious discussion. I have that in real life and on other forums (fora?)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

MadDog76 wrote: »
    Sadly, I think he was being serious ....... :eek:

So Reddit is bigger than boards!

Seriously, I thought his point was Boards is much bigger for Irish related stuff, naturally enough.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭Azalea

Thumbs-up but no thumbs-down means to me that agreement requires less explanation than disagreement, which is fair enough IMO. I think that's the case also. If you agree with/like something, what more is there to say. If you don't agree with/like something, there is usually a reason why.
    Bambi wrote: »
    You, me, every other poster and the yorkshire terrier out in the street know that's absolute bollocks.
    To be fair, I know for a fact that it is not bollocks - not intentionally anyway.
    Theory versus practice however. Very occasionally it does look as though mods treat other mods, or people they are friendly with, differently. Can't name people so I can't give examples, but it is something I have certainly seen - not frequently though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,162 ✭✭✭MadDog76

K-9 wrote: »
    So Reddit is bigger than boards!

Seriously, I thought his point was Boards is much bigger for Irish related stuff, naturally enough.

In order to judge whether Reddit is bigger than Boards, or vice versa, in Ireland we'd need to know how many Irish members Reddit have versus Boards members ........ then of course there's the (in)active members, re-reg's, closed accounts, multiple account holders etc.

Probably no way of knowing for sure either way nor does it really matter to the topic of this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

In a somewhat feeble attempt to bring this thread back on-topic again, this reminds me of AH threads when I joined almost 10 years ago.

Starts off - I can haz seriuz discussion.
    'Fors' & 'Againsts' clash politely, no major blood spilt.
    Throw in a bit of controversy.
    Debate the bejaysus out of the controversy.
    Go wildly off topic.
    Make a load of personal remarks about posters.
    Continue to career around off-topic.
    Thread dies with everyone none the wiser.

In a somewhat feeble attempt to bring this thread back on-topic again, this reminds me of AH threads when I joined almost 10 years ago.

Starts off - I can haz seriuz discussion.
    'Fors' & 'Againsts' clash politely, no major blood spilt.
    Throw in a bit of controversy.
    Debate the bejaysus out of the controversy.
    Go wildly off topic.
    Make a load of personal remarks about posters.
    Continue to career around off-topic.
    Thread dies with everyone none the wiser.

True .......... so let's lay our cards on the table, who thinks that "excessive moderations is sucking the fun out of After Hours" and why?

I do and the reason I feel that way is because, when I post in After Hours, I'm more worried about a Mod misinterpreting my post (serious point or joke) and taking action against me instead of just being able to make my point and/or joke in a relatively relaxed way ......... the seemingly inconsistent moderation is also an issue.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Buona Fortuna

True .......... so let's lay our cards on the table, who thinks that "excessive moderations is sucking the fun out of After Hours" and why?

No, I think its fine.

I always found the banning of "blast em with p1ss" and "your ma" a bit juvenile, but that was dealt with above.

So no, I have no problem with the way AH is moderated.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,332 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

I find the place a bit more civilised and certainly less intimidating than it used to be. As a result I'm more inclined to post there than I was a few years ago.

Beasty wrote: »
    I find the place a bit more civilised and certainly less intimidating than it used to be. As a result I'm more inclined to post there than I was a few years ago.

Should After Hours be civilised though?

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,332 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

I'll turn the question round - do you want AH to be intimidating - essentially putting people who would otherwise post off?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭Classic Rock Man

There is 4chan for that stuff though...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

Nope.

Mods have a thankless task in AH. There is ALWAYS someone happy to moan that the rules are too strict, not strict enough, mods of other fora are given special treatment, the forum isn't funny, the good aul days are gone, etc.

You can't please everyone. People have been moaning about the "good aul days" on AH for as long as I've been on boards (10 years). There's always going to be people who don't like the direction boards is moving in.

I don't think AH is too strict. what I've seen the mods there do is try to clamp down on blatant racism, homophobia and misogyny. Surely that's a good thing?

Mods aren't treated any differently. I've seen many mods make appeals in the DRP that have failed. maybe the reason mods aren't carded or banned as often as regular users is because mods know full well how to toe the line?

I think the mods do a difficult job and they do it well. And tbh, the couple of infractions and one ban I got, I deserved

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,730 ✭✭✭Sheep Lover

Beasty wrote: »
    I'll turn the question round - do you want AH to be intimidating - essentially putting people who would otherwise post off?

Well if you find an internet forum "intimidating" you must be quite the delicate flower who should probably steer clear of the internet and maybe the outside world too.

Well if you find an internet forum "intimidating" you must be quite the delicate flower who should probably steer clear of the internet and maybe the outside world too.

Oh stop. Not wanting to face personal abuse or a nasty atmosphere doesn't make anyone a 'delicate flower.'

Are all of the female posters who avoided AH because of the rampant sexism and nasty posts delicate flowers?

Are the transgender people who avoid AH (yes, there are some who actively avoid it now) because they're sick of being told they're mentally ill, wanna be rapists and compared to paedophiles, delicate flowers?

Calling someone a 'delicate flower' and saying they shouldn't leave their house or go online is the standard rebuttal used by someone who likes being a nasty person.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,759 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    1. A bit of a thank you in advance for the user agreeing to give up their free time to keep the forum running smoothly for the benefit of other users,
    2. To allow users know that there is a new mod and who they are should they ever need them,
    3. To build a sense of community,
    4. For the craic,
    5. For a big circlejerk oops
    6. It's a foolproof method of identifying brown-nosers.
    7. Where else on the planet are 'coke & hookers' jokes going to get an airing.

Oh stop. Not wanting to face personal abuse or a nasty atmosphere doesn't make anyone a 'delicate flower.'

Are all of the female posters who avoided AH because of the rampant sexism and nasty posts delicate flowers?

Are the transgender people who avoid AH (yes, there are some who actively avoid it now) because they're sick of being told they're mentally ill, wanna be rapists and compared to paedophiles, delicate flowers?

Calling someone a 'delicate flower' and saying they shouldn't leave their house or go online is the standard rebuttal used by someone who likes being a nasty person.

It's a discussion forum, people are going to have different views. If you are so sheltered that you cannot debate a topic without being "personally abused" you are a delicate flower, to say the least.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,892 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

It's a discussion forum, people are going to have different views. If you are so sheltered that you cannot debate a topic without being "personally abused" you are a delicate flower, to say the least.

The problem wasn't the debate. It was the sexism, homophobia, bigotry, and racism.

From a minority of posters, admittedly, but still noticeable.

An File wrote: »
    The problem wasn't the debate. It was the sexism, homophobia, bigotry, and racism.

Any links to this disgraceful conduct?

Likewise, if you're (not you personally, this is generally speaking) unable to make a point without being a complete bellend, you should probably avoid people and the internet until you mature beyond insulting people to prove a point.

See how it works both ways?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,892 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Any links to this disgraceful conduct?

Do a quick search for "bitch" or "back in the kitchen", for example.

An File wrote: »
    Do a quick search for "bitch" or "back in the kitchen", for example.

What if I do a search for "dick". Would that be conclusive evidence for sexism towards men?

Also, a "bitch" search turns up lots of links to the Animal forum but not many to AH....

Likewise, if you're (not you personally, this is generally speaking) unable to make a point without being a complete bellend, you should probably avoid people and the internet until you mature beyond insulting people to prove a point.

See how it works both ways?

What does being a complete bellend entail though? It's like the "don't be a dick" rule, open to interpretation.

What if I do a search for "dick". Would that be conclusive evidence for sexism towards men?

An file is suggesting you search those particular phrases then actually READ the posts that pop up. naturally not all of them will be sexist.

Similarly, if you search the term "dick," I'm sure you'll find some that are sexist and some that aren't.

Let's not pretend that misogyny wasn't a much bigger problem on AH than misandry, though.

What does being a complete bellend entail though? It's like the "don't be a dick" rule, open to interpretation.

I've included in my post what I believe it is - being too immature to debate something without insulting people.

Being a "delicate flower" is also open to interpretation, as our back and forth here is showing.

An file is suggesting you search those particular phrases then actually READ the posts that pop up. naturally not all of them will be sexist.

Similarly, if you search the term "dick," I'm sure you'll find some that are sexist and some that aren't.

Let's not pretend that misogyny wasn't a much bigger problem on AH than misandry, though.

Well, it is yourself and File making the point that this conduct is rampant throughout AH. So ill wait for actual links before trawling through half the site myself. Shouldn't be too hard to link even a handful if things are that bad.

• Advertisement

Well, it is yourself and File making the point that this conduct is rampant throughout AH. So ill wait for actual links before trawling through half the site myself. Shouldn't be too hard to link even a handful if things are that bad.

Gimme 10 minutes on my laptop instead of my phone and I'll give you your links. No problem. 8 of those minutes will be spent on Facebook.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement