Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Excessive moderation sucking the fun out of AH

Options
1101112131416»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,128 ✭✭✭✭aaronjumper

K-9 wrote: »
    And plenty still do take the piss out of people and manage to remain not banned or not get cards!
    Yeah you'll always have the ones that are too smart to get banned.
    Not sure what can be done about that though.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

That's a pretty crap argument in fairness.
    Yup. That was the point.
    Mabye because I personally have dealt with enough actual and real problems in everyday life, that it's become immensely difficult for me to appreciate how anything - that can be solved by closing the screen - can honestly be considered something even remotely worth caring about.
    Fair enough, but the fact that it's difficult for you personally to appreciate something isn't a reflection on anything other than your personal experience of the world.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

It's already happening.

I had a look at the unique users for the last year. It's the same as last year and in business, if you're not growing you're dying. In fact, if you look at wikipedia, the alexa rank is 5129 and on today on alexa the rank is 7500.

You're getting desperate now,
    I've heard this same doom and gloom comment from people that didn't get their way countless times while I've been on boards.

If boards.ie annoys you so much then move on and you can be happy with yourself that you are helping boards fail
    :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭Pink Fairy

This thread is sucking the fun out of feedback :(

• Registered Users Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Pink Fairy wrote: »
    No issue with the RIP threads or even the news dump threads, they are organic and grow naturally according to the mood of the contributors. Sometimes these can be the best reads

News dumps shouldn't be allowed, the op should at least give an opinion.

What's really irritating at the moment is the number of threads with Clickbait titles, these should be stopped and users asked to use a descriptive title.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,484 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Mabye because I personally have dealt with enough actual and real problems in everyday life, that it's become immensely difficult for me to appreciate how anything - that can be solved by closing the screen - can honestly be considered something even remotely worth caring about.

And maybe, looking at it another way, other people who have actual and real problems in real life would like to be able to communicate and discuss in a humorous, genuine kind of way as a distraction from those problems, without having to wade through other people's self absorbed muck stirring.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,162 ✭✭✭MadDog76

Pink Fairy wrote: »
    This thread is sucking the fun out of feedback :(

Jesus, you're not joking!!!

I never thought I'd say this but ......... roll on midnight!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭Azalea

I don't see the problem with any of those things. That's a persons view. That's the real world. If they want to just read things they want to read then they can just post in the transgender forum. The views that exist on here exist in the real world.
    The words of someone not affected by it... as is usually the case with people who insist other people should just get over stuff.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Does it not annoy anyone else - with when very often someone posts a very interesting thread - with a story, an opinion, an interesting question - which prompts discussion by replies... But the first reply is some crappy joke or pun - followed by 4 or 6 others joining in - and then basically RIP thread? All the time I see what could be great threads totally derailed by idiots making jokes and adding literally nothing to the thread. I feel sorry for the OP.

I don't blame the mods - that's what AH is to a lot of people. I just wish there was a general forum where this did not happen.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Does it not annoy anyone else - with when very often someone posts a very interesting thread - with a story, an opinion, an interesting question - which prompts discussion by replies... But the first reply is some crappy joke or pun - followed by 4 or 6 others joining in - and then basically RIP thread? All the time I see what could be great threads totally derailed by idiots making jokes and adding literally nothing to the thread. I feel sorry for the OP.

I don't blame the mods - that's what AH is to a lot of people. I just wish there was a general forum where this did not happen.

• Advertisement

I seem to lurk a lot more than post these days as I am afraid to post in many of the current affairs threads for fear of being set upon regarding my views on said matter. I'm not the best at explaining what I mean so I just don't bother.

When the site was down, I found I didn't really miss it. Sad but true and I have a feeling I'm not the only one.

Oh, my opinion on the Opening Post - the mod action wasn't necessary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,162 ✭✭✭MadDog76

Zascar wrote: »

I get what you mean .......... good point/question/opinion replied to with a "ThanksWhoring" post then a few posts down a "going against the grain" post in order to achieve more "Thanks" then it's just a back and forth for the rest of the thread until it dies ......... seems to happen to most threads on After Hours.

• Site Banned Posts: 806 ✭✭✭Martypants1

Cabaal wrote: »
    You're getting desperate now,
    I've heard this same doom and gloom comment from people that didn't get their way countless times while I've been on boards.

If boards.ie annoys you so much then move on and you can be happy with yourself that you are helping boards fail
    :rolleyes:

If you look at my post history I am not very active on here at all because I spend my time on other sites.

I've been giving opinions on how to make things better yet you, seemingly like the people in charge of making decisions would rather just tell me to go away if I don't like it, rather than trying to improve.

Even WWN had an article up about mods on here. You think these are just created from thin air?

http://waterfordwhispersnews.com/2011/10/26/i-had-it-all-then-i-blew-itsacked-boards-ie-moderator-tells-all/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,191 ✭✭✭Eugene Norman

It would be nice to think some lessons were learned here. But I don't think so.

Generally the moderators seem defensive, to say the least.

Also I don't get this talk about upset. Personal attacks are banned. People can get upset about political ideas but why is that countenanced as an argument for censorship?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Closing this a wee bit early - I need my beauty sleep.

Thanks to all for your feedback.

tHB

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement