Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Excessive moderation sucking the fun out of AH

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,322 ✭✭✭Potatoeman

I'll share my last experience of AH moderation.

Mod A (political mod in AH thread) derails thread and people respond.
    Mod B (AH mod) threatens to close thread
    I point out the thread was derailed by another mod. I get a warning and my post is deleted. I respond to the warning as it is reported as back-seat moderation while my issue was that one mod was threatening to close the tread while another was derailing it. I didn't bother pushing it further at the time because I couldn't be bothered for a warning but don't threaten to close a thread when it's another mod derailing it as it's going to annoy people.

I also noticed another AH mod ban someone for misogyny when the post wasn't really misogynistic.

My issues would be closing threads and even banning people because certain people don't like discussing certain things just discourages certain discussions.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,702 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Potatoeman wrote: »
    I'll share my last experience of AH moderation.

Mod A (political mod in AH thread) derails thread and people respond.
    Mod B (AH mod) threatens to close thread
    I point out the thread was derailed by another mod. I get a warning and my post is deleted. I respond to the warning as it is reported as back-seat moderation while my issue was that one mod was threatening to close the tread while another was derailing it. I didn't bother pushing it further at the time because I couldn't be bothered for a warning but don't threaten to close a thread when it's another mod derailing it as it's going to annoy people.

I also noticed another AH mod ban someone for misogyny when the post wasn't really misogynistic.

My issues would be closing threads and even banning people because certain people don't like discussing certain things just discourages certain discussions.

If Mod A isn't an AH mod then the fact they're a mod is irrelevant. Mods are normal users outside of the forums they mod. So yes, if you were questioning and complaining about it on thread then that's backseat moderation and against the rules.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Pretty sure the issue was AH mod A is taking part in discussion, AH mod B asks everyone, including mod A, to get back on topic, poster above questions/discusses Mod B warning so his post is removed. What is the issue?

Discussing moderation on thread does nothing more than derail a thread even more. This particular thread warning was to bring a thread back on topic, your post was keeping it off topic.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,322 ✭✭✭Potatoeman

My issue was with the threat to close the tread. It usually seems like an easy out.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

I have no issue with AH modding. It's fine.

This thread shows just how dire Feedback is when moderation is the issue though.

We must nearly be at the point where Dav comes along and says 'ENOUGH' and closes the thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

For a free site Boards is run very well. We all love each other really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

steddyeddy wrote: »
    For a free site Boards is run very well. We all love each other really.

We wha?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,506 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Penn wrote: »
    Admittedly, there are probably few posters who could pull off such a comment, but considering the type of poster seamus is and his usual style of posting, to me it was very obvious he was joking.

It really wasn't...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,162 ✭✭✭MadDog76

It really wasn't...

I'd be of the opinion that Seamus decided after posting that the post was a "joke" .......... another Poster on here suggested that the post might have been meant to be humorous and Seamus ran with that defence.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

So he was serious in telling them to go back to playing with their train sets. I don't believe ye believe that at all.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭Azalea

MadDog76 wrote: »
    I'd be of the opinion that Seamus decided after posting that the post was a "joke" .......... another Poster on here suggested that the post might have been meant to be humorous and Seamus ran with that defence.
    Yup. Afraid that's how it looked imo.

In fairness I think it's bs because the original joke maker himself whinged about a far less offensive comment I made to him. I got carded and not even given a chance to explain my intent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

Azalea wrote: »
    Yup. Afraid that's how it looked imo.

You're afraid?
    Best get off the internet and go back knitting.

• You're afraid?
    Best get off the internet and go back knitting.

Get your ass back to the utd thread Gowl

K-9 wrote: »
    So he was serious in telling them to go back to playing with their train sets. I don't believe ye believe that at all.

In fairness K-9, the post was abusive in tone and aggressive in nature ......... there was also nothing even remotely funny in the post.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Penn wrote: »
    If Mod A isn't an AH mod then the fact they're a mod is irrelevant. Mods are normal users outside of the forums they mod. So yes, if you were questioning and complaining about it on thread then that's backseat moderation and against the rules.

You, me, every other poster and the yorkshire terrier out in the street know that's absolute bollocks. Mods will not step on other mods the majority of the time.

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Get your ass back to the utd thread Gowl

I'm done with the soccer forum. Perma banned.
    I'm over on reddit now.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

I've warned an admin a few times so not sure on that one at all, banned a mod or 2 as well.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

K-9 wrote: »
    I've warned an admin a few times so not sure on that one at all, banned a mod or 2 as well.

Admins can't be banned though.
    They are coded into boards.

(I believe)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Bambi wrote: »
    You, me, every other poster and the yorkshire terrier out in the street know that's absolute bollocks. Mods will not step on other mods the majority of the time.

No, your post is bollocks, as you put it.

A mod received a card in AH last week.

Plenty of mods have received warnings, infractions and bans.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,702 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I've carded & banned plenty of mods over the years. The fact they were mods of different forums factored into my decision by 0.000diddlysquat%.

If I still had access to the AH mod forum I's be able to find a post from a few months back when one of the new mods came in and said "what do we do about x's (a mod) post?". And I asked "what would you do if it wasn't a mod?". "Probably card them". "Then card them". Then Kersplat came along and said we don't treat mods of other forums any differently to non mods here in AH.

In fact, if anything, I expect mods to have more respect for other forums because they're a mod. That doesn't mean they'd be treated harsher, but certainly no leeway is given because their name is bold. If they can't give another forum the respect they would expect in theirs, then why give the leeway?

Mods have been demodded, in the not so distant past, because of their actions in other forums. So this bollox of them being protected, is, in fact, bollox.

There's a Mod going through the DRP at the moment because he feels he was treated unfairly by another Mod, ie. he received a Warning for Trolling ........ I haven't seen that happen too often but it obviously does happen.

On the other hand. I expect to have free rein in AH for all of eternity. So I do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

On the other hand. I expect to have free rein in AH for all of eternity. So I do.

Jackie Brown is on ITV4! I used to fancy Pam Grier when she had the afro.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

KERSPLAT! wrote: »
    No, your post is bollocks, as you put it.

A mod received a card in AH last week.
    In fact that would be me. I had some issues with it, but it was what it was.

I've banned mods and I've suggested cmods and one admin to head off.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

I've never appealed a card because I deserved most of them. Just small issues really.

What I do notice is some very effective low level trolls who manage to stay under the radar. I imagine it can be hard to deal with them in fairness.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Except that's not true, if I step out of line I expect to be banned, carded or warned.

Infact many moons back I was banned from after hours for stepping out if line, I acceptted it and moved on.

Sometimes discussions on topics can get a little heated and I've been warned once or twice, each time I know to step back.

If a mod from another forum acts the bollox in a forum I mod I will treat them the same as anyone else. End of.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

The very first forum ban I issued as a new mod in PI was to a fellow mod.

I think about 50% of my forum bans were issued to mods. A muppet acting the muppet gets no different treatment from me if they are a mod or not. In fact it pisses me off when a mod causes trouble in a forum because I feel they should know better because they know what kind of behind-the-scenes crap they cause for the mod.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement