Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Excessive moderation sucking the fun out of AH

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 335 ✭✭HanaleiJ5N

Plenty of DR threads have been opened by mods who have received infractions. Most the DR threads are opened by normal "Registered User's" but that makes sense given that most users are non mods, no conspiracy.

And guess what? A lot of appeals made by mods don't actually succeed. I know that goes against the narrative peddled out by some with an axe to grind but the threads are there for all to see in DR.

There was even a case once, and I want to be careful what I say here because I don't know anything about private discussions of mods/admins etc but there was one case of a feedback and DR threads where one mod was fairly cutting towards another mod who had issued sanctions against him. After a lot of over and back between mods/admins/users the end result was the mod had his temporary forum ban upgraded to permanent, and shortly afterwards he was no longer a mod. Either he stepped down himself or maybe he was stripped of his mod privileges as a disciplinary sanction for his conduct? Speculation.

I'm happy for that above paragraph to be snipped if a mod/admin sees fit but all I'm trying to do is illustrate that this notion that mods are immune from sanctions and give each other special treatment is a load of horse manure. I've been using the site since 2007, the more you use it, the more and more examples you'll see of mods falling foul of the rules of other forums and being sanctioned accordingly.

One huge problem with this site, a lot of posters immediately get their back up when they see a username in bold (many cases where the mod is listed as a moderator of different forums unrelated to the thread they are posting in), some just have a huge chip on their shoulder when it comes to mods. I hate those posters, it's like listening to butt-hurt sports fans whining about a referee. Tedious stuff.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭libelula

Whoops for boss of AH.

Seriously, why isn't she at least an admin by now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

libelula wrote: »
    Whoops for boss of AH.

Sounds like a gender discrimination to me! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭libelula

smash wrote: »
    Sounds like a gender discrimination to me! :pac:

Let's run with that. I'll start a thread.
    Bleedin' nonsense is what it is.

Let's run with that. I'll start a thread.
    Bleedin' nonsense is what it is.
    Give me a few minutes to sharpen my pitchfork and work on my outrage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

I can't think of a single bad moderator in AH but Whoops was brilliant.

steddyeddy wrote: »

Let's face it though, Liz was an awful mod!

:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,162 ✭✭✭MadDog76

Let's face it though, Liz was an awful mod!

:D:D

True that!!!

MadDog76 wrote: »
    True that!!!

That's why we loved her!

That's why we loved her!

This is where we part ways smash ...........

• Advertisement

I can think of one or two.

Whoops for boss of AH.

I think Whoops stepped down voluntarily? Which was a shame, she was a great Mod ....... she even won a Poll (492 votes!) I posted asking "Who's Your Favourite After Hours Mod?" .......... in fact, she stepped down shortly after winning that Poll ....... whoops!! :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

Whoops for boss of AH.

Because she's sound.

Because she's sound.

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

At this stage in a feedback thread any number of grudge wielders should be here, digging up cards given from years back and swearing vengeance on the ashes of their ancestors, and here I see some hippy love fest......bad form Gentlemen, bad form.

Whoops for boss of AH.

:pac:

"At least an admin"

I should own this goddamn site at this stage :D

I think Whoops stepped down voluntarily? Which was a shame, she was a great Mod ....... she even won a Poll (492 votes!) I posted asking "Who's Your Favourite After Hours Mod?" .......... in fact, she stepped down shortly after winning that Poll ....... whoops!! :eek:

Kicking and screaming my friend. Kicking and screaming.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

I can think of one or two.

I think the one or two didn't last long.

I think the one or two didn't last long.

:D They're still there ffs!!!!

:pac:

"At least an admin"

I should own this goddamn site at this stage :D

Kicking and screaming my friend. Kicking and screaming.

What will it take to get you back Whoops?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,001 ✭✭✭recylingbin

Penn wrote: »
    As well as being a source of entertainment, it's also a pretty good example of why discretion of the moderator is required and vital, and why a holistic view of all elements has to be taken rather than "Poster said bad thing. Naughty poster".

It was clear, to me anyway and doubtless to others, what the point of seamus' post was. Agree or disagree with how he made that point, mod discretion allows the mods to assess the situation and not have to issue mod actions where they feel it isn't warranted.

Other posters' misinterpretation of the situation and responding in kind (without trying to make the same kind of point seamus was trying to make but rather "He insult him, I insult him back") means that they can't be judged by the same yardstick as seamus' post, because the intent and purpose of the post is completely different.

But instead, as I've stated, people, in a thread about excessive moderation, want what would have to be considered excessive moderation applied to one post where mod discretion would dictate that a mod action isn't required at all. The rules can't be both black & white and 50 shades of grey, otherwise moderation becomes even less consistent than people are claiming it already is.

I'll be honest, I laughed when I read Seamus's post...and then I reported it. I didn't report it for rules breachung , I reported it because I saw that mods had thanked it and I wanted to see if anything would happen.it didn't, as expected.

Anyway, the point I wanted to make is that the mids saw a post by one if their favs and found it funny.
    If it had been by someone else, who knows.

You say that the people complaining about it interpreted it wrongly. However, prison and the drp are full of posters who have had something I found funny see them get bans, cards, infractions and warnings. So when a mod misinterprets something, they hide behind rules but when a user does, they get laughed at.

Personally, I'd.like to see leas moderation. More nonsense threads. Less locking of threads because the mod doesn't like where it could go or because the thread is in and if itself not to their tastes but keeping within the rules.

/2c

(Can't be arsed fixing all the spelling errors, damn autocorrect )

Sorry for dragging the thread back in topic.

• Site Banned Posts: 806 ✭✭✭Martypants1

The last 20/30 posts show what's wrong imo.

Place is made up of cliques and anyone who challenges them gets the backlash.

Unfortunately it's a side wide thing.

I was watching the toyshow and commenting in TV, I got banned for a day for saying "haha Ryan got the white stuff in his face".

Not really fair. Boards is the place for irish, local knowledge. For everything else there's way better sites.

It's been left behind. Just the fact there's a thumbs up but no thumbs down button makes it out of date.

• Advertisement

TIt's been left behind. Just the fact there's a thumbs up but no thumbs down button makes it out of date.

A thumbs down button just encourages trolling.

A thumbs down button just encourages trolling.

You could argue that adding a thumbsdown button would reduce the impact of trolling.

Guy comes in and trolls. He gets 1 or 2 thanks from other trolls. General user sees this and decides to engage with troll. Troll get what he wants and thread turns crap.

Thumbsdown button - troll gets thumbsdowned heavily. General user sees comment and sees number of thumbsdown, is happy that everyone else knows they are a troll and does not engage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭Classic Rock Man

You could argue that adding a thumbsdown button would reduce the impact of trolling.

Guy comes in and trolls. He gets 1 or 2 thanks from other trolls. General user sees this and decides to engage with troll. Troll get what he wants and thread turns crap.

Thumbsdown button - troll gets thumbsdowned heavily. General user sees comment and sees number of thumbsdown, is happy that everyone else knows they are a troll and does not engage.

Why not just form your own opinion of peoples post?
    Why are you vying for whats really nothing more than an inane feature so the echo chamber that is AH can have even more schoolyard circlejerking mentality?

I dont understand it feels as if you want your own opinions to be formed for you...

This is nonsense. Just look at how this feature is abused on the journal.

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,726 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

I'll be honest, I laughed when I read Seamus's post...and then I reported it. I didn't report it for rules breachung , I reported it because I saw that mods had thanked it and I wanted to see if anything would happen.it didn't, as expected.

I also confirmed my own bias by not reporting the post for not breaching the rules and nothing happened, as expected.

Why not just form your own opinion of peoples post?
    Why are you vying for whats really nothing more than an inane feature so the echo chamber that is AH can have even more schoolyard circlejerking mentality?

I dont understand it feels as if you want your own opinions to be formed for you...

Who said I don't?

Also what's the point of a thumbs up button? It's an "agree" button. Pointless having an agree button but no disagree button.

This is nonsense. Just look at how this feature is abused on the journal.

No it's not. Just look how this feature works exceptionally well on reddit.

At least with a thumbsdown button we'd see balance between cliques thanking each other.

At least with a thumbsdown button we'd see balance between cliques thanking each other.

That only works well in communities that are heavily censored and moderated. AH is literally just, as I've said, a glorified echochamber and you can ask /r Dublin and they'd tell you the same thing.

Reddit is a god awful website to use.

• Advertisement

Who said I don't?

Also what's the point of a thumbs up button? It's an "agree" button. Pointless having an agree button but no disagree button.

So two wrongs make a right? AH isn't reddit it's simply too homogeneous and too narrowminded for and any sort of upvote/downvote system will just devolve the forums into trite self-conglatutory posts where no actual discussions could take place.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement