Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chicken Thighs, and Chicken Oyster Thighs

Options
  • 27-01-2016 11:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭

So what's the difference between these two types of chicken thighs?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,758 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

I'm guessing the latter still have the oysters attached, which are really succulent, tasty little medallions that lie near the thigh on either side of the backbone.

I've never come across packs of thighs that have them, though. Where did you see them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭Taboola

Dunnes occasionally have Oyster thighs.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Oyster thighs are partly boned and usually just have one bone in them.

2v1l0mo.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

The thighs I got where oyster but not labeled as so, the other ones are a pain to bone, I was thinking I must have got a bad batch the last time

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

The thighs I got where oyster but not labeled as so, the other ones are a pain to bone, I was thinking I must have got a bad batch the last time

Cheers

It's not a case of bad batch. It's how the chicken was sectioned.

When sold in supermarket as 'Oyster thighs', the oyster meat is still attached to the bone , and the thighs are like this:

http://www.pjmartinelli.co.uk/WebRoot/BT/Shops/BT3174/4A24/DDF3/3E6C/E3ED/D5F0/0A0A/33E7/DB3E/chicken_0020_thigh_0020_raw.jpg

And if sold as chicken thighs, it's what Dizzy has described, with a single bone, and the oyster meat still intact and carefully detached from the illium bone.

The boney thighs with oyster still attached may be a pain to eat for some, but I love gorging the oyster out of the hollow part of illium bone (thanks wiki, now I know what it's actually called). If you have the fetish enjoy eating the morsels of chicken meat through sucking the bones like the Asians, you'd appreciate this part of the chicken. It's great if you want to make the most of flavour, like in broth, where you can pick out the meat half way through cooking them and boil the rest of the bones for few more hours.

• Advertisement

Mrs Fox wrote: »
    It's not a case of bad batch. It's how the chicken was sectioned.

When sold in supermarket as 'Oyster thighs', the oyster meat is still attached to the bone , and the thighs are like this:

http://www.pjmartinelli.co.uk/WebRoot/BT/Shops/BT3174/4A24/DDF3/3E6C/E3ED/D5F0/0A0A/33E7/DB3E/chicken_0020_thigh_0020_raw.jpg

And if sold as chicken thighs, it's what Dizzy has described, with a single bone, and the oyster meat still intact and carefully detached from the illium bone.

The boney thighs with oyster still attached may be a pain to eat for some, but I love gorging the oyster out of the hollow part of illium bone (thanks wiki, now I know what it's actually called). If you have the fetish enjoy eating the morsels of chicken meat through sucking the bones like the Asians, you'd appreciate this part of the chicken. It's great if you want to make the most of flavour, like in broth, where you can pick out the meat half way through cooking them and boil the rest of the bones for few more hours.

Cheers for that, i tend to use the thighs whole in slow cooker dishes, like masaman & jambalaya

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I was in dunnes and they had oyster thighs and regular thighs in the same range (same style of packing and dunnes own brand). The oyster ones were smaller (not sure if the original bird would have been the same size and it was just missing a bit) and the oysters were also more expensive per kilo.

The oyster thighs can also be found as part of the chicken legs.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,386 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Oyster thighs are partly boned and usually just have one bone in them.

2v1l0mo.jpg
    I'm not sure if I've seen an alternative to the above. How do thighs have more than one bone? I've only one bone in each of my thighs - as far as I know :D

Are you describing thighs with the hip still attached? Don't think I've seen they for sale like that before

• Registered Users Posts: 17,040 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

http://www.google.ie/imgres?imgurl=https://kriegerscience.files.wordpress.com/2010/10/chickenlegskeleton.png&imgrefurl=https://kriegerscience.wordpress.com/2010/10/24/how-to-dissect-a-chicken-leg/&h=486&w=576&tbnid=I1qGCQj1FJa4MM:&q=Chicken+thigh+bones&docid=H8x3OSgaVGgVhM&ei=MGi0VpboOYPKPZTDrYgF&tbm=isch&client=ms-android-samsung&ved=0ahUKEwiWwNPWpODKAhUDZQ8KHZRhC1EQMwgmKAwwDA
    Mellor wrote: »
    I'm not sure if I've seen an alternative to the above. How do thighs have more than one bone? I've only one bone in each of my thighs - as far as I know :D

Are you describing thighs with the hip still attached? Don't think I've seen they for sale like that before

I always buy thighs with, as you said, part of the thigh attached.

• Advertisement

That's pics a whole leg though. Drumstick and all attached. I can buy them like that no bother, for some reason its called a "maryland" here. But bone-in thighs are just the one bone.

That said, maybe I've missed them as I usually by thigh fillets (or a whole chicken)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

When I buy ordinary, non-oyster thighs they have that one big bone in but also a part of the carcass attached, and what looks like a section of spine. I've had a root in the freezer but there are none in there at the moment to take a photo of.
    This isn't a very clear photo I found on the net, but hopefully you'll be able to make out the ridge of bone on the right hand side of the left thigh.

34fjm11.jpg

Mellor wrote: »
    That's pics a whole leg though. Drumstick and all attached.

I am aware of that.
    The idea of the pic was to demonstrate the piece of bone that comes attached to the thigh bone which includes the hip.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

rubadub wrote: »
    I was in dunnes and they had oyster thighs and regular thighs in the same range (same style of packing and dunnes own brand). The oyster ones were smaller (not sure if the original bird would have been the same size and it was just missing a bit) and the oysters were also more expensive per kilo.

More expensive per kilo?

I also don't see these cuts in the supermarkets where I shop. Educate me please, because this sounds like a great scam. I've butchered enough chickens to know what and where oysters are on a bird. As a supermarket, I get to sell a largely inedible section of the chicken carcass attached to the thigh that I would otherwise have to dispose of? I charge a higher price per kilo for this chicken and the customer gets a small nugget of meat known as the oyster for their extra money?

Minder wrote: »
    More expensive per kilo?

I also don't see these cuts in the supermarkets where I shop. Educate me please, because this sounds like a great scam. I've butchered enough chickens to know what and where oysters are on a bird. As a supermarket, I get to sell a largely inedible section of the chicken carcass attached to the thigh that I would otherwise have to dispose of? I charge a higher price per kilo for this chicken and the customer gets a small nugget of meat known as the oyster for their extra money?

I think you have that backwards.
    I understood that the thighs without the hip carcass bit were more per kg.

More expensive per kilo?
    Yes, the smaller ones labelled "oyster" were more expensive. I am not saying they were labelled correctly, but I am certain they were labelled as I described, small joints with more meat were called oyster thighs and more expensive per kilo.

I thought it would be the other way around, expecting the large one to have the "oyster" included (along with lots of waste, which there was).

And they were in the same style dunnes labelling so it was no some issue of one leaving it off, or being more expensive per kilo as it was not in a "value range".

Chicken thighs In lidl are marked as "chicken thighs" but are in fact oyster thighs, and at 2.79 per kg, a whole lot cheaper than dunnes and tesco

The tesco ones labelled as oyster thighs are €3.90 per kilo.

IDShot_225x225.jpg
    http://www.tesco.ie/groceries/Product/Details/?id=268775121

The ones labelled just thighs are €3 per kilo

IDShot_225x225.jpg
    http://www.tesco.ie/groceries/Product/Details/?id=288794154

I thought it would be the other way around, expecting the large one to have the "oyster" included (along with lots of waste, which there was).

That's what I thought too.

I've butchered enough chickens to know what and where oysters are on a bird. As a supermarket, I get to sell a largely inedible section of the chicken carcass attached to the thigh that I would otherwise have to dispose of? I charge a higher price per kilo for this chicken and the customer gets a small nugget of meat known as the oyster for their extra money?

From the posts above,
    Oyster thighs are the one's the hip bone removed.
    More precise portioning, less waste = more cost.
    They should both have the "oyster" included. No reason to waste it. In the case of the oyster thighs, the oyster has been filleted off the hip.

As I said, I've never seen that labelled as oyster here. But the ones I buy are as described, portioned to a single bone, with the oyster included. That's how I cut them when portioning a chook.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

slightly off subject but the Chicken Inn in the English market always has deboned chicken thighs. It's a tricky thing to do and the only place I ever see that have them like this.

BailMeOut wrote: »
    slightly off subject but the Chicken Inn in the English market always has deboned chicken thighs. It's a tricky thing to do and the only place I ever see that have them like this.

Deboning oyster thighs is super easy tho

• Registered Users Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

Deboning oyster thighs is super easy tho

can you share your secret as I cannot get the thigh off the bone. I end up with more meat on the bone!

Slice down to the bone from the inside of the thigh.
    Then using the knife perpendicular to the bone scrape the meat off the bone. Shaft first, then the heads. Keep working around the bone until its free.
    Sometimes I find it easy to pry the meat off with fingers once it's started by the knife. I've debone the entire leg (without separating the knee) that way.

Slice down to the bone from the inside of the thigh.
    Then using the knife perpendicular to the bone scrape the meat off the bone. Shaft first, then the heads. Keep working around the bone until its free.
    Sometimes I find it easy to pry the meat off with fingers once it's started by the knife. I've debone the entire leg (without separating the knee) that way.

Advertisement