Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Outdoor cable

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭Tuco88

Risteard81 wrote: »
    Hi-Tuff is quite widely used in the north, however it shouldn't just be used where SWA was specified as it does not have an earthed armour! And it must be remembered that regardless of extra cables/conductors being used with SWA as a protective conductor, the armour is an exposed conductive part and MUST be earthed.

I agree, I was just giving a few examples of a UV rated cables over an nymj, seen that it tens to be miss used in the outdoor department.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭Tuco88

Bruthal wrote: »
    Like I said, a makeshift way to provide a CPC when it can simply be done with a conductor. Anyone who thinks banjos inside plastic isolators are neat and easily fitted, havnt done too many.

They are awkward, and tedious particularly inside smaller ones, to such an extent that most will put one locknut on, tighten as best they can, and move on. Earth the armour via the supply end of cable, and a CPC conductor to do the field earth terminal IMO is better.

As you may also know Bruthal, there is a particular ABB isolator on the market that is very good imo, but its not practical to fit a banjo inside due to the plastic threaded entries length. So an earth core or separate earth has to be provided.

just for your opinions.
    What is the "norm" for you fellows to earth the armor into a panel? I work between three plants and its different in all three.(The armor is NOT used as cpc)

1) Has the banjo placed inside the panel bent back with fly leads to main earth bar, gets very messy.

2) Banjo on outside of panel with nut bolt.

3) Banjo on outside of panel with nut bolt, but it has a 10mm² from the earth bar earthing the header trucking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Tuco88 wrote: »
    As you may also know Bruthal, there is a particular ABB isolator on the market that is very good imo, but its not practical to fit a banjo inside due to the plastic threaded entries length. So an earth core or separate earth has to be provided.

just for your opinions.
    What is the "norm" for you fellows to earth the armor into a panel? I work between three plants and its different in all three.(The armor is NOT used as cpc)

1) Has the banjo placed inside the panel bent back with fly leads to main earth bar, gets very messy.

2) Banjo on outside of panel with nut bolt.

3) Banjo on outside of panel with nut bolt, but it has a 10mm² from the earth bar earthing the header trucking.
    Yea I seen varying ones myself. Most places seem to accept the earthed header and banjos bolted on the outside. Banjos on inside and bent and individually connected via flyleads is a mess. The banjo is no better connected to the gland and earth than if its on the outside and firmly bolted to the header. It has better contact to the gland when it's on the outside. If the bolt is not tight enough to give a good connection to the trunking, then it won't be when a lug is bolted to it either.

Requirements on a particular installation can depend on whether the swa cables are small final circuits or large supplies to panels etc.

Advertisement